Few question regarding Music PC

Spirovious - I can only confirm again to you that this is not true. AC3 sound is passed through and DD/DTS is working with D2X without any issue. And no settings are required to be changed in the media players themselves.

Did you uninstall and reinstall drivers?

well I tried lattest one & as said earlier, D2X can send DD/Dts via spdf out to AVR,but cant decode raw audio stream to analoge 5.1out.I got confirmation in Asus forum(see given link above)I have written to Asus lets see?

Come again on that Spirovious - if you are using the analogue outs there is no question of any decoding. It is only going to be PCM all the way. That is natural.

If you want for the card to decode Dolby/DTS you have to use the SPDIF out.

Hi,
well this is a pretty old thread but I have made some changes to my old music pc to turn it into a decent pc good for flight simulation gaming and running programmes. I have installed AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition 3.4GHz Processor and Palit Nvidia Geforce GtS 450 graphics card . The problem is the processor is very noisy and it is much beyond acceptable level. I think if I change the stock heat sink and the fan for the processor then the noise level can be reduced. Does anybody have any suggestions on this?
Thanks.

I have a 955 3.2Ghz in my machine. Most of the time it is silent, and most of the time the processor is running under 25% anyway, with the cpu cooler fan running around the low 3,000s RPM. At that speed, it is pretty silent, but if anything cranks it up, it soon becomes audible, and at around 4,000RPM is produces an unpleasant whine. It is worse for the fact that the case fans only give airflow sound.

The AMD stock coolers seem to be noisy. My previous Pentium Core 2 Duo cooler was actually silent, but on that machine it was the case fan that made the noise!

Yes, the answer for both of us is to replace the stock cooler. I guess I'm going to go for something like this <Scythe Yasya> eventually (means when I get around to it!). I have a big tower case, so space is not a problem, but I still wonder about hanging such a weight off the motherboard! :sad: I guess people do. :cool:

A site you might find generally interesting is Silent PC Review.

Hi Thad,
thanks for the suggestion. I was also thinking to change the stock cooler but bit apprehensive to do so. I will first replace the case fan with a coolermaster fan to see if there is any iprovement. I am also wondering the cooler that comes with a stock processor has a heat sink and a fan. If we just replace the fan without changing the heat sink will it do the job?
Thanks.

You can locate the noise by listening with the case open. You can be sure by just for a moment stopping each fan by putting your finger on the centre boss. Be careful... blood may do serious damage to your motherboard, and a lost piece of finger may even cause a short circuit ;)

I'd be reluctant to just change a fan on the heatsink, in case it does not shift enough air. However, if the fan is noisy because it is faulty, I suppose this is an option.

My understanding: a bigger and more efficient heatsink can work with a slower (and maybe more efficient too) fan. Also, the standard-issue fan is pretty small: the fan with the bigger heatsinks may be 120mm or more.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back