final components for HTPC

suprateep

Thanks guys for the feedback in the last 3-4 weeks that helped me buy a Panny 42 PV8, an Onkyo 606 and HTS 230 5.1 speaker system. My next buy (within the next 2-3 weeks) are a pair of Jamo 606/Polk TSI 400/MS 906.

But that purchase can be halted for the time being as a new "would buy" came into my list. A media box. I was torn between the TVIX 6500 (26k), WD (8k) amongst others. I had a demo of the TVIX and was sold but 26k is a bit on the higher side though it plays almost any video or audio format possible, upscales very well, and processed HD audio as well (pass through too).

Next came the HTPC in mind and a smallish setup is actually kinda better in my sense. So i visited all the places in Pune - they had no takes for a HTPC cabinet or motherboard. So Mumbai it is - Lamington road - herei come. The mecca of HW - i wanted to visit since i started reading Chip. So finally next on March 4th week I am visiting Lamington road for the first time and have shortlisted a few options and I need help on these plus any suggested prices as I am out of information regardign PC equipment for the last 4-5 years.

Anyway for information on the HTPC front in this forum was dated hence putting together a new thread:

Config: (suggestions wanted with prices)

Cabinet: Want something smallish (can be laid down flat like a receiver)
Motherboard:MSI or Gigabyte (price??) - something that is a VFM solution and can process HD audio and video though HDMI
Processor : AMD (model suggest)
RAM: 2 GB at least
HDD: Seagate Barracude 1 TB (5k)
Optical Drive: DVD Writer
Power Supply:

I am not into games any more. So purely music (50%) and movies (50%) and i want TRUE HD HD audio to pass through at least to the receiver (606) and a HMDI out that processes all the dvd rips that i have. (70% legal)

I do want to keep the cost down to around 25-30k - or else the TVIX is a better user friendly toy to have.

Please help guys - there are no proper forums (indian) where I can get the info. This maybe a repeat post but I guess a price thread is also wanted.

Visit Computer Warehouse Online - Build your PC yourself and for starters go through all the components of building a PC. This will give you a fair indication of what's available and also indicative prices.

Lynx Chandigarh Largest Electronic & Computer Superstore is also another site where prices are listed.

For my money, go with Intel for motherboard and processor (will probably get flamed by AMD fans), and get a good soundcard from the Asus Xonar range.

Go through the links given, they will give you a fair idea and also a fair indication of prices. You can even d/l the price list.

Hi
Consider this card too
ASUSTeK Computer Inc.

Now why?
It has got HDMI and somrething called slashtop linux os

Splashtop Instant-On Desktop from DeviceVM

now I HATE linux but this os is onboard and this has INSTANT BOOTING feature...

Now please study this thing as I found it while browsing

I beleive this card has Slashtop, HDMI and 7.1 sound --
Also this card has digital optical out .

There are some other asus cards too with similar and more features

About splashtop ( from site)

----

When you press the power button or a special hot key designated by your PC manufacturer, Splashtop starts in seconds it is the first screen that you will see.
Splashtop is preinstalled on the hard drive or in the on-board Flash memory of new PCs and motherboards by their manufacturers. Splashtop is a software-only solution that requires no additional hardware. A small component of Splashtop is embedded in the BIOS of the PC thats the part that runs as soon as you press the power button.
Within Splashtop, you have the choice of running one of its applications, such as the Splashtop Web Browser, or booting your Operating System. Splashtop is compatible with any Operating System, including Windows and Linux.
Splashtop has similar networking capabilities to what you find in other Operating Systems. It can connect to networks over WiFi, LAN, xDSL, and cable. WEP, WPA, and WPA2 wireless security standards are supported.

Surf the Web, Skype your friends and colleagues, look at photos, or listen to your digital music all before your traditional operating system even starts. Splashtop lets you do it all within seconds of pressing the power button.
Splashtop Web Browser
The Splashtop Web Browser is based on Firefox 2 and is a fully functional web browser optimized to give you a great Internet experience. It has tabbed browsing, plays Flash video and games, and blocks pop-ups just like Firefox.

Splashtop Music Player
With the Splashtop Music Player you can listen to the digital music stored on your hard drive or external storage media.

Splashtop Photo Manager
Browse through photos on your computer, create albums, view slide shows, and upload photos to the Internet. It has not been easier and quicker than with the Splashtop Photo Manager.

Make calls from your computer free to other people on Skype and cheap to landlines and cell phones around the world.

Splashtop Chat
Instant Message with your friends who use any of the popular IM programs, such as ICQ, MSN or Windows Live Messenger, Yahoo! Messenger, AOL Instant Messenger, or QQ.

------------

what about video player??

Hey friends feedback required

Thanks guys for the feedback in the last 3-4 weeks that helped me buy a Panny 42 PV8, an Onkyo 606 and HTS 230 5.1 speaker system. My next buy (within the next 2-3 weeks) are a pair of Jamo 606/Polk TSI 400/MS 906.

But that purchase can be halted for the time being as a new "would buy" came into my list. A media box. I was torn between the TVIX 6500 (26k), WD (8k) amongst others. I had a demo of the TVIX and was sold but 26k is a bit on the higher side though it plays almost any video or audio format possible, upscales very well, and processed HD audio as well (pass through too).

Next came the HTPC in mind and a smallish setup is actually kinda better in my sense. So i visited all the places in Pune - they had no takes for a HTPC cabinet or motherboard. So Mumbai it is - Lamington road - herei come. The mecca of HW - i wanted to visit since i started reading Chip. So finally next on March 4th week I am visiting Lamington road for the first time and have shortlisted a few options and I need help on these plus any suggested prices as I am out of information regardign PC equipment for the last 4-5 years.

Anyway for information on the HTPC front in this forum was dated hence putting together a new thread:

Config: (suggestions wanted with prices)

Cabinet: Want something smallish (can be laid down flat like a receiver)
Motherboard:MSI or Gigabyte (price??) - something that is a VFM solution and can process HD audio and video though HDMI
Processor : AMD (model suggest)
RAM: 2 GB at least
HDD: Seagate Barracude 1 TB (5k)
Optical Drive: DVD Writer
Power Supply:

I am not into games any more. So purely music (50%) and movies (50%) and i want TRUE HD HD audio to pass through at least to the receiver (606) and a HMDI out that processes all the dvd rips that i have. (70% legal)

I do want to keep the cost down to around 25-30k - or else the TVIX is a better user friendly toy to have.

Please help guys - there are no proper forums (indian) where I can get the info. This maybe a repeat post but I guess a price thread is also wanted.

So as per your HTPC choice-

CPU- Intel E7300(5.5k) or E8400(7k)

MB- Asus or Giga starts from 2200
if you want onboard graphics,then Asus P5E-HDMI,(7k)
or nvidia chipset with HDMI out
GigGA-g33m-S2H, even G45 chipset
(other giga bord come with HDMI but PCIE runs at 4x)

Ram- 2GB kigston DDR2 for 1200(667),1800(800)

HD- dont go for seagate as they do crash faster,
WD is best 500GB(Rs.3900) 1TB(5k?)

DVD drive(DL)- Liteon or Sony for 1100

Power- VIP gold(400w) for1800, coolarmaster 600w(4.5k?)

Graphiccard- 8600GT for 3.5k

soundcard -Asus Xonar DX(5k)

GA-g33m-S2H
View attachment 638

Last edited:
So as per your HTPC choice-

CPU- Intel E7300(5.5k) or E8400(7k)

MB- Asus or Giga starts from 2200
if you want onboard graphics,then Asus P5E-HDMI,(7k)
or nvidia chipset with HDMI out
GigGA-g33m-S2H, even G45 chipset
(other giga bord come with HDMI but PCIE runs at 4x)

Ram- 2GB kigston DDR2 for 1200(667),1800(800)

HD- dont go for seagate as they do crash faster,
WD is best 500GB(Rs.3900) 1TB(5k?)

DVD drive(DL)- Liteon or Sony for 1100

Power- VIP gold(400w) for1800, coolarmaster 600w(4.5k?)

Graphiccard- 8600GT for 3.5k

soundcard -Asus Xonar DX(5k)

GA-g33m-S2H
View attachment 638

Thanks thats great.

Now the nail of the head - i already have a Desktop with a creative soudblaster Live Platinum (5.1) paired with Creative 5300 speakers (5.1). I also have a laptop. Do i get the same audio video quality with a setup above.

Or investing in a WD TV for 7k + WD HDD (5k) makes more sense? Or maybe the TVIX 6500 for 25k + 5k for HDD - since the TVIX processes almost every other audio or video file format available?

The TVIX processes all video & audio upto True HD amongst others. (Home > Products > TVIX HD M-6500A)

I have a AVR Onkyo 606 that will process everything

the thing is i am slightly confused with the setup.

Regarding video I guess using the gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H i will get acceptable video output via HDMI. What about audio? Will the included onboard sound card work fine for passign HD/True HD signals into my receiver which it can decode.

Will the Asus Xonar DX help putting bitstream/RAW feed to the receiver to get true HD sound output. The thing for going with the HTPC is that its future ready - should play most audio/video formats.

Thanks thats great.

Now the nail of the head - i already have a Desktop with a creative soudblaster Live Platinum (5.1) paired with Creative 5300 speakers (5.1). I also have a laptop. Do i get the same audio video quality with a setup above.

Or investing in a WD TV for 7k + WD HDD (5k) makes more sense? Or maybe the TVIX 6500 for 25k + 5k for HDD - since the TVIX processes almost every other audio or video file format available?

The TVIX processes all video & audio upto True HD amongst others. (Home > Products > TVIX HD M-6500A)

I have a AVR Onkyo 606 that will process everything

If you already have desktop with SC,then add decent Graphiccard with 1080p output.

WDTV is best in its class,its portable,affordable too.-

http://www.hifivision.com/home-thea...801-wd-tv-vs-oppo-dvdp-vs-philips-4750-a.html

Hi finally searchin garoudn today in Pune I came across the following specs for my HTPC (well HTPC seems to have an edge over the TVIX 6500 at the same budget):

AMD X2 (5200/5600) - Rs 3100/3700
Motherboard (Asus M3A78EM) - Rs 5000
RAM (transcend 800 Mhz) 2 GB - Rs 1500
Asus Xonar HDAV 1.3 (only card that can pass HD audio through bitstream) - Rs 12,900
Wirelsss Combo Mouse/Kybd (MS/Logitech) - Rs 1400/1500
DVD Writer LG - Rs 1100
Cabinet (iball 306 baby) - Rs 1700

I will be using no graphics card as the mbd can inbuilt HDMI out port (ASUSTeK Computer Inc.). Audio is important as comparision of the HTPC is with the TVIX 6500 that processes all the codecs at highest possible quality and includes HD, TRUE HD pass through. Hence the Xonar 1.3 HDAV.

The cabinet iball 306 looks cheap. Any other suggestions? Am i missing something. DO i have any other choice other than the Xonar?

The entire package should be around 30-33k presently.

Yes. Hard disk.
Get a 1 TB drive to store all your digital media.

Oops sorry I missed that - a seagte is available for 5500 for TB and 8000 for 1.5 TB.

The thing is I do not like the cabinet at all - its plasticky. Any other choices?

And choice of the OS? Should I go with Windows XP or something else?

To the OP - I would strongly recommend against having a dedicated graphics card in your HTPC setup. That is neither needed nor a desirable feature if the main purpose of the machine is to serve as the entertainment hub and not a gaming machine.

Use an entry level dual core processor (from AMD or Intel) - I prefer AMD because Gigabyte offers a really nice motherboard for AMD which performs brilliantly in the graphics department - as far as movies are concerned.

The bulk of your money then should be apportioned into sound cards, cabinets and input devices. The next major investment should be a hard disk - internal or external as per preferences. And add RAM to taste, stir and serve:)

I think there are other threads here with a lot of detail on exact mobo numbers and processor model numbers and such. All the best.

Finally there is no comparison whatsoever between your HTPC (going to be setup) and your existing PC with creative speakers.

To the OP - I would strongly recommend against having a dedicated graphics card in your HTPC setup. That is neither needed nor a desirable feature if the main purpose of the machine is to serve as the entertainment hub and not a gaming machine.

Use an entry level dual core processor (from AMD or Intel) - I prefer AMD because Gigabyte offers a really nice motherboard for AMD which performs brilliantly in the graphics department - as far as movies are concerned.

The bulk of your money then should be apportioned into sound cards, cabinets and input devices. The next major investment should be a hard disk - internal or external as per preferences. And add RAM to taste, stir and serve:)

I think there are other threads here with a lot of detail on exact mobo numbers and processor model numbers and such. All the best.

Finally there is no comparison whatsoever between your HTPC (going to be setup) and your existing PC with creative speakers.

Thanks buddy - HTPC is a different ball game altogether. So i opted for the Gigabyte MA78GM for 4k. That has a HDMI out which will feed the Asus Xonar (capable of processing full HD audio or sending it as bitstream to to the Onkyo 606). The xonar is sucking my purse dry at 13k in Pune (prices anyone) - though LG has a Blue Ray writer cum DVD writer at 11k (was surprised - warrants a look here)

Oops sorry I missed that - a seagte is available for 5500 for TB and 8000 for 1.5 TB.

The thing is I do not like the cabinet at all - its plasticky. Any other choices?

And choice of the OS? Should I go with Windows XP or something else?
I would recommend XBMC. In that case, you can go with any OS - including Linux - since it runs on all platforms. XBMC is highly customizable and capable. HAs advanced features like upscaling (you have a choice of which algorithm to use!!). The looks are stunning and can put even MCE and Apple TV to shame. See the screenshots of a very popular XBMC theme called mediastream. I run it on my Mac and love it.

Graphiccard will improve pictureQ & pc can be used for HDtv & monitor at once.It can scale better than onbord graphics.I m using GC for same purpose.

Graphiccard will improve pictureQ & pc can be used for HDtv & monitor at once.It can scale better than onbord graphics.I m using GC for same purpose.

I agree too esp. if you are running Vista. Its too much of a strain on a shared graphics card and will ruin some of the video experiences.

This is a cheap upgrade for a PC that will drive performance overall.

See, there are two things here. First the need for a graphics card for display and/or picture quality purposes is moot because a motherboard like the MA78GM from Gigabyte would do the needful in splendid fashion.

Secondly by installing a Graphics card you are inviting more heat and noise in your computer which you can and should do without on a HTPC. I have discussed this earlier as well.

For a HTPC installing a graphics card should not be a priority - not unless the machine is not strictly meant to be a HTPC.

I agree too esp. if you are running Vista. Its too much of a strain on a shared graphics card and will ruin some of the video experiences.

This is a cheap upgrade for a PC that will drive performance overall.

Why in the world would somebody in their right minds run Vista on their HTPC??:) Thats inviting trouble, right?:)

See, there are two things here. First the need for a graphics card for display and/or picture quality purposes is moot because a motherboard like the MA78GM from Gigabyte would do the needful in splendid fashion.

Secondly by installing a Graphics card you are inviting more heat and noise in your computer which you can and should do without on a HTPC. I have discussed this earlier as well.

For a HTPC installing a graphics card should not be a priority - not unless the machine is not strictly meant to be a HTPC.

Well graphiccard needs extra power agree,but its dedicated,it reduces load on CPU,Ram too.So you get better performance.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back