final components for HTPC

Well graphiccard needs extra power agree,but its dedicated,it reduces load on CPU,Ram too.So you get better performance.

What performance, spirovious? All the HTPC needs to do is to play video. And for that onboard graphics card such as that found on the said Gigabyte board are more than enough. In fact I have found they are good enough to handle some games that are light on graphics!

A HTPC does not really benefit from a dedicated graphics card. Plus it induces more flux in the form of heat and noise. So, I would definitely not recommend this option.

The bulk of your money then should be apportioned into sound cards, cabinets and input devices. The next major investment should be a hard disk - internal or external as per preferences. And add RAM to taste, stir and serve:)

Probably the bulk of the money will go the casing. Aesthetically pleasing ones are starting 15,000. Real good ones that look more like AV components rather than a PC.

From what I have read/browsed about HTPC the casing will be the most expensive item. The one that really appealed to me costed Rs. 25,000! So it will take some more time for my plunge.

On a lighter note, "stir"? probably the end-product will "shake" you!

Probably the bulk of the money will go the casing. Aesthetically pleasing ones are starting 15,000. Real good ones that look more like AV components rather than a PC.

From what I have read/browsed about HTPC the casing will be the most expensive item. The one that really appealed to me costed Rs. 25,000! So it will take some more time for my plunge.

On a lighter note, "stir"? probably the end-product will "shake" you!

Well, the cabinets that you talk of come right from the upper crust. Very good quality cabinets with high quality power supplies can be had from as little as 5000 rs. onwards.

Antec would be one of the first models I would look at.

What performance, spirovious? All the HTPC needs to do is to play video. And for that onboard graphics card such as that found on the said Gigabyte board are more than enough. In fact I have found they are good enough to handle some games that are light on graphics!

A HTPC does not really benefit from a dedicated graphics card. Plus it induces more flux in the form of heat and noise. So, I would definitely not recommend this option.

I am talking abt highend HTPC,not regular all in one type.
Then why not to depend on onboard soundcard,why seperate card is reqd?
why to waste money.Onboard cards also comes with 116s/n ratio.
Same way GC.

Same way GC.

well thats interesting guys. If fit and finish is not part of the parcel then a nominal ibal 306 baby with baby ATX form factor will do. (1.7k)

Then again with a Gigabyte 78AMS2H coupled with a AMD X2 5200 will cost around Rs 7.5k.

2 GB RAM + 1TB HDD = 7k
DVD Writer = 1.1k
Wireless kyb/mosue = 1.5k

We have a HTPC setup under 19k

Problem is if you are comparing the likes of a HTPC with a WDTV or Popcorn Hour this is fine. Only when TVIX comes into the picture the HD sound comes into play - hence the Xonar 1.3 HDAV for 13k. (can process all the formats and pass even HD audio through bitstream) + decent upscalign with the inbuilt chipset.

You are on your way in 32k (with a ugly looking case IMHO).

Then again the TVIX 6500 along with a 1tb HDD will cost around 31.5k itself - its advantage being its small form factor, good interface.

Same way GC.

Spirovious - I am afraid you are not understanding the point I am making. Why do we need to go highend when supposedly the 'low end' is good enough to satisfy requirements?

Do you find a problem in terms of the onboard display card of say the Gigabyte motherboard under discussion in terms of it handling video display? If there is a problem on this front, yes, by all means go for a display card? I can vouch that there is no problem whatsoever in terms of video capabilities on that motherboard. So why fix something which is not broken?

well thats interesting guys. If fit and finish is not part of the parcel then a nominal ibal 306 baby with baby ATX form factor will do. (1.7k)

I am afraid it is not just fit and finish that is compromised when you compromise on the case. Everything including noise, vibration and heat factors are compromised. Hence the stress on a quality cabinet. Plus a quality power supply. These two are non negotiable if a good quality HTPC is what is sought.

Dear Suprateep,

March 2009 issue of Digit magazine has a good article on a HTPC for the price range you are looking.

P.N. Reddy

Dear Suprateep,

March 2009 issue of Digit magazine has a good article on a HTPC for the price range you are looking.

P.N. Reddy

I checked it out but honestly i think that it is strictly meant for someone who has absolute no idea of the specs and requirement of each user. FOr me the Gigabye chipset paired with the AMD X2 is VFM - it has a HDMI out with onboard 5.1. The only problem is the HTPC for me is an alternative to the TVIX 6500 - hence the investment in the Asus HDAV Xonar that costs a bomb at 13k. Or else the entire PC comes within 19k minus the external soundcard. I can pair a Blue Ray Writer combo within 11k and i have a blueray player solution for under 30k minus the Xonar.

But thanks.

Spirovious - I am afraid you are not understanding the point I am making. Why do we need to go highend when supposedly the 'low end' is good enough to satisfy requirements?

Do you find a problem in terms of the onboard display card of say the Gigabyte motherboard under discussion in terms of it handling video display? If there is a problem on this front, yes, by all means go for a display card? I can vouch that there is no problem whatsoever in terms of video capabilities on that motherboard. So why fix something which is not broken?

Yes,for budget systems onboard graphics are ok.
few effect can be missed on onboard graphics though.

Yes,for budget systems onboard graphics are ok.
few effect can be missed on onboard graphics though.

What effects, Spirovious?:) Really when we are talking of playing video there is no aspect where the onboard graphics solutions are lacking - especially the Gigabyte one that is being talked about.

What effects, Spirovious?:) Really when we are talking of playing video there is no aspect where the onboard graphics solutions are lacking - especially the Gigabyte one that is being talked about.

I just read somewhere if CPU chosen is not powerful(C2D is enough),then you need GC for playing Blray.In that case it reduces load on cpu & gives better performance.

User has little bad experience with older onboard graphics-
InsanelyMac Forum > HTPC Graphic Card TV-OUT

View attachment 661

few are in favour of GC-
Role of the graphics card in an HTPC [Archive] - Beyond3D Forum

Last edited:
I just read somewhere if CPU chosen is not powerful(C2D is enough),then you need GC for playing Blray.In that case it reduces load on cpu & gives better performance.

This is true for all video operations. Having a dedicated GC card can take a lot of load off the CPU while also enhancing the video capabilities. This becomes critical for viewing d/l videos as well as games. With the improvements in the realism of the images now and demands for multiprocessing, there is a lot of stress on even the most capable GCs.

User has little bad experience with older onboard graphics-
InsanelyMac Forum > HTPC Graphic Card TV-OUT

View attachment 661

few are in favour of GC-
Role of the graphics card in an HTPC [Archive] - Beyond3D Forum

OK I have repeated this ad nauseam. Playing any kind of video is not a load on a machine with AMD or Intel dual core processors with a minimum of 1 GB of RAM. Be it Blu Ray or othewise.

Indeed when you spend for a graphics card you expect for it to share the load! But, is the trade off worth it when you consider the heat, noise and internal clutter within the case? That is what one must consider.

If the HTPC is serious about music, then a graphics card is not an option at all. There is an article called 'Art of building a HTPC' - please google it. It is related to the use of cMP as an audio player. Hope this helps.

OK I have repeated this ad nauseam. Playing any kind of video is not a load on a machine with AMD or Intel dual core processors with a minimum of 1 GB of RAM. Be it Blu Ray or othewise.

Indeed when you spend for a graphics card you expect for it to share the load! But, is the trade off worth it when you consider the heat, noise and internal clutter within the case? That is what one must consider.

If the HTPC is serious about music, then a graphics card is not an option at all. There is an article called 'Art of building a HTPC' - please google it. It is related to the use of cMP as an audio player. Hope this helps.

I agree with you,but you need good drivers for onboard graphics & cpu otherwise you may get hiccupps on display.

Well, thats true. It is best to install the drivers that come with your motherboard. And update them as time goes.

so you all still think the HTPC is a good idea right?

I searched the avas forums and other similar forums - no HTPC solution till date can process True HD audio/bitstream it to the receiver as such for processing. The Xonar HDAV does - but there have been multiple problems with the driver and 24 p playback. And those cars manufactured before 2009 need to be sent to Asus for a firmware upgrade due to technical limitations of the card.

If my take on HTPC wa sone to take on the likes on TVIX 6500 or the popcorn hour - doesn't it fall flat here when it comes to true HD audio.

Just my take - i still am goign forward with the HTPC - just that the XOnar HDAV may be omitted and I can go for a Gigabyte 78 series for pure HD video and 5.1 Dolby audio through optical

Absolutely spot on!

I searched the avas forums and other similar forums - no HTPC solution till date can process True HD audio/bitstream it to the receiver as such for processing. The Xonar HDAV does - but there have been multiple problems with the driver and 24 p playback. And those cars manufactured before 2009 need to be sent to Asus for a firmware upgrade due to technical limitations of the card.

If my take on HTPC wa sone to take on the likes on TVIX 6500 or the popcorn hour - doesn't it fall flat here when it comes to true HD audio.

Just my take - i still am goign forward with the HTPC - just that the XOnar HDAV may be omitted and I can go for a Gigabyte 78 series for pure HD video and 5.1 Dolby audio through optical

What you can do is lay off the soundcard for a while. The reasons being you're not going to get much HD Audio content anyways for a while. TrueHD and HD Master Audio are the future, but not much content is available right now, they're not yet mainstream and what little is available is still quite expensive.

I strongly believe HTPC is the way forward as a source - audio/video.

And yes, there is a drivers flux in the new Xonar HDAV cards. So, you are right in hesitating. Also how important is HD audio/video to you? Please think about this seriously. How many Blu Ray discs are you going to buy - audio and video? I would venture to say - not many in the immediate future. Pardon me for guessing.

If that is right, then you can as well settle down with the Xonar D2X or an Essence STX (based on whether you want to 2 channel or multi channel soundcard and whether you are a headphones or a speaker man). The drivers here - while not the greatest are certainly workable and have nowhere near the amount of problems as with the HDAV.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back