final components for HTPC

I suggest you opt for 'SILVERSTONE ...

'
SG01-B.jpg

which is a standard cabinet used by pc builders worldwide, will be better than zebronics etc ... provided budget allows.

SFF[SmallFormFactor,as shown above ] PC goes well with HT in style too.....

Check out the build logs here :

SmallFormFactor- Hardforum

ok. Fair choice if you need the remote. If you are spending extra 6k just for remote, you may also consider
Amazon.com: Logitech diNovo Mini: Electronics

The price on nehru place site Nehru Place IT Hub - Delhi - INDIA - Latest Prices for Computer Hardware, Laptop, Desktop PC, LCD Monitor, Memory Cards, RAM, Hard disk drive, Pen Drive, DVD Combo Writer, Webcam, Digital Camera, MP3 Player, USB devices, Laptop spares Parts, Laptop A is 7800 but I hope you can get it for ~7k
The added advantage is that it has full keyboard, has a dust cover, and may also be used with another PC.
I remember someone shared pics of that keyboard in his home theater. It is fairly tiny.

There is a good article by Tech2 on building an HTPC
Gives contact details for a dealer for Glacialtech Altair cases as well

Tech2.com India > Build Your Own HTPC > Features > HiFi & TV > Home Theater Systems

btw i have created a new post (hope the mods let me change the name of the post) for my HTOC setup - and though i have still not got my dream case, what i have got is great.

Installed XBMC - looks great particularly with fanart etc (without the fanart i felt xbmc was a bloated piece of SW - its open source so is good and developing into proper SW - but still does not take HW acceleration into play and depends on ffdshow).

More more queries regarding HTPC and the likes and problems associated (believe me there would be many) please refer to the Asus M3n78EM oversacn thread.

hello
i should have posted the following in Pychgotropics budget HTPC thread
but anyway

looking for a graphics card to feed a samsung series 4 32 inch LCD
now heres the tricky part
MOBO is the intel 845.& processor is P4 1.6Ghz ( now i know this is a snail but i have no problems with it just for movie watching)
note 845 has NO PCI express

movies will be only DVD rips ( nothing fancy like Full HD or Blue ray)
well if full HD will play it would help

Hi Everyone,

I have a question to all those who're building an HTPC:

To what I know, you require HDMI with HDCP to play blu-ray and other similar copyrighted HD content. Are the HTPCs you're building capable of this?

Thanks,

Nitin.

Hi Everyone,

I have a question to all those who're building an HTPC:

To what I know, you require HDMI with HDCP to play blu-ray and other similar copyrighted HD content. Are the HTPCs you're building capable of this?

Thanks,

Nitin.

with the right HW setup and driver obviously yes.

My HTPC says its HDCP compliant. (BTW the new nvidia drivers mention that - older drivers did not mention HDCP compliance anywhere)

hello
i should have posted the following in Pychgotropics budget HTPC thread
but anyway

looking for a graphics card to feed a samsung series 4 32 inch LCD
now heres the tricky part
MOBO is the intel 845.& processor is P4 1.6Ghz ( now i know this is a snail but i have no problems with it just for movie watching)
note 845 has NO PCI express

movies will be only DVD rips ( nothing fancy like Full HD or Blue ray)
well if full HD will play it would help

magma bhai a lot of problems with DXVA and all to play h264 (even DVD rips) with older config - here both your processor and GPC (inbuilt) are bottleneck and buying a pci graphics card wont help. Do mention how much of ram do you have.

I suggest 2 things:
Use Core AVC codec + MPC (search for settings on the web)

I have the following AMD 3000 venice (1.8ghz) + 1 GB ram + nvidia 5200 = it plays all rips well. Stutters in some 720p rips and plays not 1080p rips. I use it strictly as a download and surfing machine.

magma bhai a lot of problems with DXVA and all to play h264 (even DVD rips) with older config - here both your processor and GPC (inbuilt) are bottleneck and buying a pci graphics card wont help. Do mention how much of ram do you have.

I suggest 2 things:
Use Core AVC codec + MPC (search for settings on the web)

I have the following AMD 3000 venice (1.8ghz) + 1 GB ram + nvidia 5200 = it plays all rips well. Stutters in some 720p rips and plays not 1080p rips. I use it strictly as a download and surfing machine.

i have had no problems playing movies on it even now with some shitty 128 bit card

i just use the old 2008 Klite mega codec pack 3.4.5 codes

ram is 1GB
its only i want to connect pc to the LCD so im looking for another card

(frankly i dont know how people complain that these older PCs not being able do dvd rips(maybe i just play low res dvd rips). i probably belive in that stement here a wile ago - "you dont need a rocket to get to work" or something like that:eek:hyeah:)

Last edited:
Little different,but related-

Is there any MP(SW) which can play 1080p movie to 720p HTPC monitor?

Little different,but related-

Is there any MP(SW) which can play 1080p movie to 720p HTPC monitor?

hey spiro i hope you mean this wrt to scaling???

MPC-HC plays 1080p movies on my 720p pv8. It can be configured to play through ffdshow/coreavc/internal mpchc DXVA filters. CPU utilization never over 15%

For MB I recommend

MSI P7NGM really good has inbuilt HDMI port and based on NVIDIA GeForce 9300 GPU. Good for movies aswell as music price = 6000 INR. has solid cpacitors.Iam using it for the past 6 months and the performance is good.
I have overclocked dual core 2.5ghz to 3.7ghz with this board and running smoothly :yahoo:.

Asus -P5n7a-Vm
based on same NVIDIA GeForce 9300 GPU with better overclocking capabilities price 7.5k with more solid capacitors should be better than MSI:rolleyes:.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back