Final cost of this driver?

Here is the summery ....

View attachment 32514

The first two are 12" suggested to me by @Aniket ... they have the lowest Fs ... and they are Low distortion series. The remaining are 15" and 18"

Specs look pretty close to each other ...but each driver may sound different (I'm guessing) .. . May be voice coil size, and other technology used etc may come into play too....

But, all the drivers recommended above are not subwoofer drivers. They hardly go below 40Hz. Is there any subwoofer driver 15" or 18" which can go down to 20Hz like the Dayton Um22 18".

Will DA UM18-22 easily go down 20hz ? Fs alone does not guaranteed that. It’s the SPL that really matters.

BMS is a very good driver if somebody wants to save on space and replicate a M&K PP which will comfortable do below 25hz with excellent SPL.
Even Mark Seaton uses the DA Um22 18" for his highly regarded 18" f18 subwoofer. Moreover, the Um22 has a lot of positive feedbacks. So, I am sure they are great drivers for under 500$.

Even Mark Seaton uses the DA Um22 18" for his highly regarded 18" f18 subwoofer. Moreover, the Um22 has a lot of positive feedbacks. So, I am sure they are great drivers for under 500$.
Its definitely a very nice driver, getting it half way to the other side of earth is way too expensive.
Pro audio drivers dont go low on their own. However, they have so much high sensitivity, they can be Eqed to bring up the missing lows, as long as Xmax is not exceeded. And they can be made into 'real subwoofers' especially in home listening.
Also many commercial units do use Eq this way

its really surprising that we could not find a few drivers locally, that can go down low on their own !!!
and finding such drivers in a budget seems even more difficult.

However,....... to achieve required low end the following are the options we have (as far as i understand till now)
1. Import a driver with good specs "if they are not available locally"
2. Use locally available PA drivers and achieve low end using EQ and other Technics.
3. Use available drivers and apply design technics like Push-Pull, Passive Radiators, Band pass etc etc ....

But in any case, achieving the low end is not the only goal..... tight bass, precision, fast attack etc are also equally important.

I think Prateek is interested only in building a SEALED sub. So option 3 is any way eliminated.
So either we find a driver with inherently better specs or use an available driver and improve low end with some EQ.

Little that I have read about is:

The second driver fires inside the sealed cabinet and its rear faces a front firing port. Both are connected to the same 250 watts RMS amp in reverse polarity.

I happen to have the exact sub amps from M&K that drives the PP. They are driving the bass units in OB currently.

The DA is high on Qts so will take lots of space to sing under 20hz and 86dB is undesirable IMO.

What diyaudio has stated, holds very true in real life.
Will it be easy to build?

Fs of 34hz and steep fall in SPL below 100hz at 96dB to 82dB at 40hz if I could read right.

Too expensive for a questionable sub duty.

I would say BMS suggested by Aniket is still much better bet.
This driver is used in qsc SC 7118. Got idea from there.. otherwise I hardly know anything about this..

Thanks.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back