Finally Our House Home Theatre work starts. HELP PLEASE

PAVAN KADAM

Santhol2, my Dear Automobile freak buddy :D ignited the Hometheatre thingy in me and my Bro's mind:yahoo:

His HT work is out of the world, i know i cant get upto that level, but slowly and steadily, i am sure, i will get there someday.

Added to that one more of my Auto freak Buddy, Srisha:D re-kindled the long pending interests.

So indirectly thanks to HiFivision.

We have a 17feet long and 12 feet wide powder room on our Second floor, Take out the desktop and the washing machine, the room is empty. We are 6+1 in the family. This room is sufficient enough for us to view movies at peace.

Now the real trouble starts.

I want to do the wiring first. later get those honeycomb or the coir boards for dampening.

Should i go in for 5:1 or 7:1 audio set-up.:eek:

I want a wiring diagram for the same now. Pleeeeeezzzzzz:sad:

Do the wiring for 7.1. This will give you flexibility in deciding the speaker configuration.

Regarding wiring diagram, all speaker wires are a pair of two wires that originate at receiver and terminate at speaker.

Only the sub-woofer would require an additional wire (Electricity).

Other wiring would depend on configuration. E.g. HDMI cable from From Media player to Receiver, HDMI cable from Receiver to Projector / TV, Ethernet (LAN) cable from PC to Receiver etc.

What display are you looking at. Give me an idea of the components and I will give you a simple wiring diagram.

1. AVR
2. Speakers
3. Display
4. Subwoofer
5. Player

I don't want brands or model number. Just what all you are going to deploy.

Cheers

Welcome to the world of personal theatre.

Your room length is good but please do look for opportunities to increase the length by another 5 feet's or so.

It is much better to have 5.1 then going for 7.1, i think 7.1 will make better move if the room length is more longer and there are more movies in 7.1

The wiring pattern can be worked out better on site with help from Santosh and others.

V.

Go for 7.1. Almost all movies on blu-ray are already 7.1. It makes a difference, especially because you have 6+1 people seated in the room. Not all the people can be located at the sweet spot, so the center and extra surround speakers help in locking the sound at the right place no matter where you are sitting.

As mentioned by others, you need to decide on the display type (panel/projector) and the location of the equipment before you can start with the wiring. It normally helps to keep the equipment somewhere on the side so that all the LEDs do not distract you in a a dark room.

All the best for your plans.
May your dreams come true :cheers:

Thanks,

It is generally quite difficult to arrange the equipments on the side among reasons being that there are chances that there will be more length of cables, they say longer the cable, quality of audio and video could fall and the cost also increases, remotes also could face difficulty. In some of the equipments there are features where you can dim or cancel the led lights. It is true that any sort of light is not good while you are watching a movie, very often there are some leaks by which small sunlight gets in, so it is very important to work on this aspect.

It is rightly said all the best for your plans and that the dream comes true in making a private theatre, because it is hell of a task, but the great thing is help is there all the way from forum members.

V.

Last edited:
I actually did not know that most of the movies are 7.1, so one has to have a receiver which can play 7.1 because many of them are likely to play only 5.1

I am having 5.1 with a room length of 23 feet, the surround sound is easy even at the center length of the room, so if someone is having a room length of 15 feet, after deducting the sitting area, 5.1 will all the more work like a charm.

Moreover i think 7 people to watch movie in a 15 feet room length is going to be too crowded and if one installs a screen of 100 inches, then there is bigger pain because out of the 7 people three or four of them would be sitting at around 10 feet and watching the movie, so please be very careful.

V.

Yes Vinay, you are right in saying that 7.1 has no value unless we have a receiver that supports 7 discrete channels. Not only that, you need a source that can provide you the 7.1 signal. Blu-ray is the only such source I know of. Simulated surround channels are of no use, just a marketing gimmick.

Thanks,

Thank you all guys,

The work has started on the room.

The dimension of the room is 15x10.

We are 7 in the family, is the size OK, Using this room since its not used presently since 4 yrs

Or should i shift it to other room which is 16*11. But the problem is, this room is used as a guest room and a utility room, Shifting things from here to Where:sad: I have no options. A tight situation.

Regarding the wiring, I plan to have 2 conical PVC tubes with a 30mm dia,running on both the lengths of the room.:eek:hyeah: Is this alrite or is there any other proper means to do it.

As a first step towards the making, the wooden flooring is being done:yahoo:

For damping the side walls, i intend to use the Thick carpet material, It wont stick since its 6mm thick, so using beadings to have them fixed on the wall. Is this fine or should i go in for any other methods?

I am waiting for Santhol2 to come over for help sometime soon.

Kindly guide.

Attachments

• IMAG_1536.jpg
    IMAG_1536.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 170
  • IMAG_1552.jpg
    IMAG_1552.jpg
    8.1 KB · Views: 170
You should have done the wooden flooring at the last as there are lot of chances to get it damaged while doing the other work. Since you did it, put proper covering to prevent it from damaging.

Pavan, congrats on the commencement of your Home Theater build.

First and foremost, change your signature from "Dream Home Theatre! Presently only in my Dreams.:sad:" to "Dream Home Theatre! Coming soon:yahoo:"

Go for 7.1. Almost all movies on blu-ray are already 7.1. It makes a difference, especially because you have 6+1 people seated in the room. Not all the people can be located at the sweet spot, so the center and extra surround speakers help in locking the sound at the right place no matter where you are sitting.
Sharad, not really. Most blu-rays are still 5.1. Agree with your suggestion on providing conduits for 7.1. You can decide on investing in extra speakers as and when the number of movies having 7.1 increase. I too will invest in a proper pair of rear surrounds when I start using 7.1 frequently. Until then, I have wired up a pair of floor standers as the rear surrounds. Side Surrounds are dedicated bi-polars.

It is generally quite difficult to arrange the equipments on the side among reasons being that there are chances that there will be more length of cables, they say longer the cable, quality of audio and video could fall and the cost also increases, remotes also could face difficulty. In some of the equipments there are features where you can dim or cancel the led lights. It is true that any sort of light is not good while you are watching a movie, very often there are some leaks by which small sunlight gets in, so it is very important to work on this aspect.
True, cable length increases when we arrange equipments on the side. If you have an option, place your AV rack in the front of the room. Cables are expensive, so there are some considerable savings there apart from the lost in SQ because of cable length.

You should have done the wooden flooring at the last as there are lot of chances to get it damaged while doing the other work. Since you did it, put proper covering to prevent it from damaging.
Very true sajith, top down approach is best. You really need to protect it until rest of the work is completed.

Hi Pavan,
May i know the cost for wooden flooring.
When I spoke to him yesterday, he mentioned that the flooring would cost him around 20k.

@Pavan: About 5.1 and 7.1, I'll talk to you in detail and help you decide.

Wow, 20K sounds like a great price!
Pawan, could you please share the name of the brand and specs?

I am looking at the standard Pergo, Ego, BrunoSwiss etc., and they all vary between 50K and 80K for the decent offerings.

Regarding 7.1, if you look at just the recent releases you will find hundreds of them are 7.1. Thought not a single Indian one yet. Some popular 7.1 titles include Toy Story 3, Beauty & the Beast, The Sound of Music, Se7en, KickAss etc. So the future is 7.1 :).

The

Blunder At It's Best

I had also put the carpet before time, and i had to go through torture in maintaining it, so i had taken the best of precaution in covering it with 4 layers of bed sheets, since i had to go through this and other hell, i and other members are trying their hard that members do not go through these turbulence's while making a private theatre at home.

V.

Thank you all guys,

The work has started on the room.

The dimension of the room is 15x10.

We are 7 in the family, is the size OK, Using this room since its not used presently since 4 yrs

Or should i shift it to other room which is 16*11. But the problem is, this room is used as a guest room and a utility room, Shifting things from here to Where:sad: I have no options. A tight situation.

Regarding the wiring, I plan to have 2 conical PVC tubes with a 30mm dia,running on both the lengths of the room.:eek:hyeah: Is this alrite or is there any other proper means to do it.

As a first step towards the making, the wooden flooring is being done:yahoo:

For damping the side walls, i intend to use the Thick carpet material, It wont stick since its 6mm thick, so using beadings to have them fixed on the wall. Is this fine or should i go in for any other methods?

I am waiting for Santhol2 to come over for help sometime soon.

Kindly guide.

Hi Pavan,

Just saw your thread, didnt know so much has already gone through. Flooring is the last to be have done, it is simple to remove these panels since they are only locked btw other panels. Check if it is possible so that this can be done at the last, otherwise you may have to cover it to avoid any damages.

For the wiring, you may have a look at the way i had done in the picture attached, i have a 7.2 wiring done to cater to futur needs. The wires run through out on the side walls, ceiling and on the floor as well, i have 2 and 3" inches PVC around for the wiring.

Are you planning to use only the carpets or is it the top layer? I am not sure if this only would be sufficient or not, though it depends on the AVR and the speakers that you are going to use, have you decides on the set up?

Let us know the current status, so that we can provide you with the other inputs.

Regards,

Srisha

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back