Finally Part of a Home Theatre group in India

Small Upgrade to my Home Theatre experience but rather a big one in reality.

Added a Taga SW212SE subwoofer and upgraded to Denon x3700.

Dynamics have increased. Audyssey setup was done using the MultiEq App. Have created multiple files and played along with them, following are the final settings I am using.

Speakers: Small
Crossover: 80hz for fronts and 120hz for Heights
Subwoofer is at 50% and in AVR it is set at - 2.5
Dynamic EQ is on
Dynamic Volume is off.

Dynamics EQ is a boon for people like me when they don't listen at reference volume.

Here is a in depth video I made for my friends and family members who always asked me about my HT. Its a very long video but I have added chapters, so you can skip to them if you want a specific segment.

Next upgrade in line after a year or so would be upgrading height channels and go for 4 channels maybe and adding power amplifier for front channels.
Hi amrut :)

Welcome to the forum . I saw your crossover frequencies. So thought I'd just share my own experience. Iam no audio or HT guru okay :D

I have some small Qacoustic speakers as surrounds in my HT system. And my wife will cook me for dinner ifIMG-20190928-WA0016.jpeg I attempt to add anything bigger :D

My surround speakers also are -3db at 95hz
And my front speakers are -3db at 40 Hz. So I was initially running the speakers with those crossovers in my old model marantz AVR. The sound was okay, and I was happy with it. As I didn't know it could be better. Then after a few suggestions on the forum, I switched all crossovers to 80hz, even for the tiny surrounds that can't really go below 95hz. And there was a remarkable change in sound. I run them like this now. And my sub is a tiny small 8 incher. I would love to have a bigger sub..but maybe that's for a different lifetime :D

Last edited:
Thanks @Yelamanchili manohar

Even the Denon had set them differently for me. Maybe the audyssey xt32 doing its work with my room and making those changes.

Audyssey had set the fronts to 40hz, surrounds to 90hz and centre to 100hz. I am playing around with the app and checking which actually sound good. Heights will stay 120hz for sure cause I know i cannot expect much from the puny micca's.

I am also checking how good the system sounds if I let audyssey correct frequencies till 500hz for my ground speakers.

Even the Denon had set them differently for me. Maybe the audyssey xt32 doing its work with my room and making those changes.

Audyssey had set the fronts to 40hz, surrounds to 90hz and centre to 100hz. I am playing around with the app and checking which actually sound good. Heights will stay 120hz for sure cause I know i cannot expect much from the puny micca's.

I am also checking how good the system sounds if I let audyssey correct frequencies till 500hz for my ground speakers.
Wow...happy to know that you are using the audessey app :D

I was shouting from the roof tops to convert folks to use that a few years ago :D

Mine is a 5.1.4 atmos system. With prelaid wiring for 9.2.4.

In my 5.1.4 system I felt I had the best results when I restricted audessey correction to 700hz
. Of course the time delays that audessey plants for the surround speakers will always be in place. Time and loudness correction in audessey are independent of frequency correction..so please give it a try and see amrut :)

Considering the various crossover frequencies being suggested by audessey...I would take a punt on 100 Hz, which is the highest for the center channel to be put as a uniform whole for all channels.

P.S : By the way which center channel speaker are you using. Center channels usually use multiple mid range drivers to match the frequency response of the side L&R main speakers. If the center can't get below 100 Hz, I would suggest that your next upgrade should be a center channel speaker before any thing else, not even the subs. As the center channel in my opinion is the heart of any HT system, followed by the subs :)

Wow...happy to know that you are using the audessey app :D

I was shouting from the roof tops to convert folks to use that a few years ago :D

Mine is a 5.1.4 atmos system. With prelaid wiring for 9.2.4.

In my 5.1.4 system I felt I had the best results when I restricted audessey correction to 700hz
. Of course the time delays that audessey plants for the surround speakers will always be in place. Time and loudness correction in audessey are independent of frequency correction..so please give it a try and see amrut :)

Sure, i am playing alot around with the app, each week trying new settings to see which work the best. Playing same video multiple times to check how they sound with limited vs not limited frequencies.

Audyssey app is a boon to know how your speakers sound in the room and make adjustments. It is quite easy to use too.

Considering the various crossover frequencies being suggested by audessey...I would take a punt on 100 Hz, which is the highest for the center channel to be put as a uniform whole for all channels.

P.S : By the way which center channel speaker are you using. Center channels usually use multiple mid range drivers to match the frequency response of the side L&R main speakers. If the center can't get below 100 Hz, I would suggest that your next upgrade should be a center channel speaker before any thing else, not even the subs. As the center channel in my opinion is the heart of any HT system, followed by the subs :)

My both centre and surround channels can go upto 60hz. It is a Taga Harmony tav-606 v3.

I am quite happy by the response coming from front channels. Like I said I am playing with the app, some days I set it to 80 some days default 100. I have 5-6 different files for audyssey derived from the default.

Won't be upgrading speakers for a long time, happy with the current system. Only height channels might see a future upgrade. Can go to 5.1.4 route

Hi guys,
Hope everyone is well and you're family too.

Few changes done recently, and few planed upgrades down the line.

Bi-Amped front LR speakers - I know this is a debatable topic, rest aside I can hear the difference it made! Connected HF outputs to height 2 channels and LF outputs to front channels. Speakers have opened up a bit, bass can be felt better in pure direct mode. Was worried if they will rob power, but nothing experienced so far.

Changing speaker cables - I was using old amazon 16awg cable since I had satellite speakers, even used taga with them. Same for the subwoofer cable too, used amazon basics cable.
Bought Dac 14awg cable for fronts, and Dac AVX02W Subwoofer cable too. Waiting to install them and post a feedback if i hear any noticeable difference.

Upcoming updates:

Have better room Accoustics, as you might have seen my room has plenty of wooden furniture. Nothing rattles or shakes, but when sitting on the couches one can feel the subwoofer even at medium to low volumes through the mattress.
Don't want my neighbours to get annoyed by the noise levels, will also be checking what level of volume enters his house, is it only low or high frequencies.
I have already placed my sub on 2 form mattress to avoid vibrations.
As you guys suggested will be looking for a rug or 2 for the floor. I also have some form laying around which is unused. Might take a DIY route to have panels built to absorb some unwanted echos and reflections. Materials would be thick towels, 2 layers of form and a towel again. Not sure how would this impact.
Don't want to go for the accoustic cone panels, they would spoil the look.
If anyone has suggestions do let me know.

Big upgrade - Replace Miccas height channels and have total 4 height channels. Add a amplifier - Integrated stereo amplifier mostly or crown amps.
I am not sure which of the amps should I go for, I do love to listen music a lot, and all kinds. Integrated stereo amp would make much better sense, but open for suggestions.

Hi Nice setup for a living Room.. A small suggestion in my mind, Possible Try to position the center speakers ( which is one of the most important one in HT setup) on Table aiming to the Listening position..This will improve the Clarity.

Hi Nice setup for a living Room.. A small suggestion in my mind, Possible Try to position the center speakers ( which is one of the most important one in HT setup) on Table aiming to the Listening position..This will improve the Clarity.

The centre channel is slightly tilted downwards. Tables height is less than 2 feet. Placing it on table it will be too low and will have to again tilt it upwards to face me.

Ok .Got it ( if ur happy on the performance no worries ).Otherwise ,If possible u can check it based on ur convenience .For Atmos setups the height center channels may become a weak link IMO which is the separation between bed channels and height may not be there .

Last edited:
Yup agree, as the sound is perfect for me right now the focus is treating the room to avoid or limit echo's and freq travelling to neighbors house.

Small Upgrade to my Home Theatre experience but rather a big one in reality.

Added a Taga SW212SE subwoofer and upgraded to Denon x3700.

Dynamics have increased. Audyssey setup was done using the MultiEq App. Have created multiple files and played along with them, following are the final settings I am using.

Speakers: Small
Crossover: 80hz for fronts and 120hz for Heights
Subwoofer is at 50% and in AVR it is set at - 2.5
Dynamic EQ is on
Dynamic Volume is off.

Dynamics EQ is a boon for people like me when they don't listen at reference volume.

Here is a in depth video I made for my friends and family members who always asked me about my HT. Its a very long video but I have added chapters, so you can skip to them if you want a specific segment.

Next upgrade in line after a year or so would be upgrading height channels and go for 4 channels maybe and adding power amplifier for front channels.
Looks good, but unfortunately unable to see the video beyond few minutes. Slow panning and zooming will help to make it easier to consume the view. How are those Mico speakers btw ?

Thanks for the suggestions, will work on this in future.

Micca's are decent, don't expect much from them. Kept them for heights as these height effects are used very sparingly.
But if you have budget do go for better height channels.

I too will be upgrading these in future from 2 to 4 channels.

Hi Guys,

Crossposting my thread and will continue to update stuff here instead of the other thread.

Hello again,
Hope everyone is safe and healthy.

Few updates and changes done.
- Moved the center channel to lower position with slight tilt, sounds slightly better.
20210604_235629-1.jpg
- Changed the subwoofer position, looks better and gels better now, will be getting one more similar sub for the other side.

- Added a Crown XLS 2002 amp to Front Floorstanders, Thanks to Manish got it at a very good price and quickly. Using FL FR as Large in stereo mode. Preset 1 and 2 are boon in x3700 to quickly change on the fly. They sound phenomenal, source is Tidal through HEOS or HDMI and Laptop. Crown is at 2 to 3 o clock, slight hiss if you stick your ears close to the speakers but nothing at all at listening positions.
20210614_024243.jpg
- Added a laptop cooler to keep the receiver cool, the receiver used to get hot, nothing alarming but wanted to extend the lifespan so taking precautions. Does a good job in keeping it cool, funny part is the smaller fans work better than the larger one. Got it for around 1k from Amazon, good buy if you want to keep your AVR cool Link.
20210614_023859-1.jpg
The Crown Amp and the Laptop cooling pads have blue light, so they gel pretty good and looks good.
Everytime I start the Receiver, I feel like a pilot starting a fighter jet :p turn on switch board for Sub and Amp, turn on the Crowns, Turn on the laptop fans by the small rotating nobs then the receiver.
The cooling pad is powered by USB port, wish the 3700 had a USB at the rear.

- Added two 4x2 feet rugs, haven't noticed much difference, haven't done AB testing so but should help keeping some reflections in check.
20210614_024045-1.jpg

20210614_024101.jpg
The rugs are particularly very soft, they smelled alot for the first day, kept windows open with fans turned on for the night.

Already ordered Roxul Safe and Sound slabs, spoke with the carpenter and the work should begin soon. Yet to finalize the fabric would go in a day or two. Would be making 6 panels, 4 behind the speakers and 2 opposite to the front speakers. Waiting for a companion to check reflection points using mirror tricks.

Here is a short video I made on how to connect and control AVR to Alexa devices.

Open to suggestions and valuable feedback.

Last edited:
Finally my carpenter showed up, and finished the acoustic panels within 2 days.

Got Roxul safe and sound, 100 density panels for around 3600 around 6 panels came with it, and 10 meter muslin fabric for 1500. Had old cloth to wrap behind the panels. Carpenter hasn't charged me yet but would be minimal. Yeah, and the roxul can get itchy so we used gloves.

First impressions after acoustic panels, center imaging had moved to more of left side :( while installing the panels I had moved the speakers. And I thought it is due to the blue panel on right, as I have just placed it. Took a while to get it right but liking the experience so far.

I need to increase the volume higher than usual, and still it doesn't sound harsh or bad to the ears. Highs have slightly rolled down and bass has become tight. No more reverb and echo.

Calibrated the AVR again and the Audyssey sets the speaker levels slightly higher than before, still everything in negative.

Some pictures of the process. 20210714_132438_resize_76.jpg
20210714_132423_resize_23.jpg
20210714_132506_resize_33.jpg
20210715_113052_resize_30.jpg
20210715_123518_resize_53.jpg
20210716_121348_resize_97.jpg
20210716_121329_resize_96.jpg
20210716_121336_resize_88.jpg

Looks nice. How much gap you kept behind the panels? How much is the total thickness ?
Hope you have wrapped well since you have kept these panels in living room.

Looks nice. How much gap you kept behind the panels? How much is the total thickness ?
Hope you have wrapped well since you have kept these panels in living room.

Yes, rear part has a nice thik cotton fabric. Fronts are well stapled. Was with a vaccum cleaner in one hand while preparing this, the form bits are very light fly away easily.

These panels are 4 feet by 2 feet and 3 inches thick, the roxul is 2 inches. Kept 1 inch gap between them, so 1 inch gap between wall and the form.

Its a living room, a hall but its only me staying alone right now. We have a house in the next building too where all of the family stays, cooking and evrything is done at other house.
Is this your living room or dedicated room used only for HT

Its a living room, a hall but its only me staying alone right now. We have a house in the next building too where all of the family stays, cooking and evrything is done at other house.

So basically used as a dedicated HT. Reason I asked was if it was used only as a dedicated HT room there are better options for u to explore with the speaker placements in the future

So basically used as a dedicated HT. Reason I asked was if it was used only as a dedicated HT room there are better options for u to explore with the speaker placements in the future
Oh, will be getting married within a year. Don't know how things will progress in this space, making most of it till living alone :p

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back