Finally switched on my panny PV8

realactivex

Folks,
I write to share my moment of bliss when i saw my wife who was beaming when we finally switched on the Panny PV8 paired to a BDP SAMSUNG P1500.
We got the PV8 sometime during march this year and it was kept packed as my new home was not ready yet. worse still my BDP and my 1080p epson projector and my ps3 were bought sometime during oct last year and were still packed.

we just moved in to our new home yeaterday and the first thing i did was to get the pv8 wall mounted and pair it with the sammy BDP.

we saw ice age-2 (i have both the ice age releases on DVD). Nothing short of a spectacular image.
I was simply amazed at how the panny handled the blacks. I could hardly notice any difference in the blacks between what was shown on the screen and what appears on the borders!

The TV is still in its default settings (well, i have reduced the contrast and brightness levels though till its run in period)

The cable from my stb looks amazing too (normal CAS type transmission)
I have the DVE blu ray and i hope to calibrate it sometime next week.

I havent seen to many reviews of the sammy bdp-1500. so i hope to open my ps3 during this weekend and see how it fares as compared to the sammy BDP.

And while i was at it, i purchased the pio-dv600 (610 wasnt available in black and i wanted black) from my dear friend abhishek of audio dynamics.. (might as well take this opportunity to recommend his business to the group. Amazing guy with tons of customer focus.I have been very happy with his service levels)

my epson projector still needs to be set up.. and somewhere down the line i ran short of cash for my receiver and speaker system.. the problem is that i didnt want to settle on a sub 40k recv+5.1 speaker combo... and hence the painful delay.
i will be honoured to invite the forum members to have a dekko at my system and join me for a cuppa coffee once it gets set up completely. (the receiver and the speakers are the pain :-(

I will calibrate the pv8 in a couple of days and post my feedback.
warm regards

Last edited:
Just to add another point: The "image depth" was so clear that sometimes i felt that i was watching a 3D movie and i could clearly "feel" the spatial distance between two characters when one was in front of the other.

Just to add another point: The "image depth" was so clear that sometimes i felt that i was watching a 3D movie and i could clearly "feel" the spatial distance between two characters when one was in front of the other.

man why do all/most of these hifi fanatics/connoisseurs reside in the southern parts of our country. Man I would have loved a dekho of the setup anyday.

Dude the 863 yamaha is the minimum you should settle for - then build up speakers.

@realactivex - Congrats on the new home and everything else. The PV8 is an awesome TV. Even for Full HD content and even gaming via the PS3. It will hold its own against any Full HD LCD with only the Sony X series maybe slightly ahead but again debatable. Some prefer the Panasonic Plasma and some the Sony LCD here.

The PS3 is actually a pretty good Blu-Ray player. Its a bit slow though to load up and respond at times. I've upgraded the internal HDD to 160GB and will be trying the 320GB or a 500GB soon. Once that's done the PS3 will move to be the media center in the living room and I will load music listened to by the rest of the family members and some movies. With the video going to the PV8 and the audio to the Onkyo AVR it totally replaces the need for any DVDP, Blu-Ray player, etc. Of course its a very noisy place when my nephews and nieces hit the place, but the joy the kids give us with all their yelling and war whooping when playing games is a sight to behold.

I though am perfectly happy with the PC and the Panasonic 29" CRT in my bedroom. Well at least until I get a 50" Full HD plasma/LCD along with a Blu-Ray player like the Oppo Blu-Ray player.

Bangalore is a place I visit often (well at least yearly) so once your setup is ready I will definitely drop in for an audition.

Realactivex, congrats on your new home & the PV8,Sammy,PS3 et al.
I am sure you'll get tons of pleasure out of them & also from the excitement of further building up your AV system.
All the best!

Congrats Realactivex tht was very well written. What you r doin is right dont settle for any ol receiver and speaker go for a really good one like suprateep suggested yam 863 is a very good receiver.

Wud luv to have a look at your setup sometime :yahoo:

For now enjoy your tv and BD players you have the makings of a seriously good home theatre.

Check out Cars BD and if possible buy the Planet Earth Blue Ray from landmark trust me real you wud love your TV and BD player even more after tht.

For a sample if you want a 720p resolution of Planet Earth do let me know I have a mkv file in my HDD if your player plays Divx via USB then you can get a sample of this before buying the actual DVD.

COngratulatoins. I am itching to get a BDP for my Plasma as well. The HQV equipped Samsung BD-P2500 sounds like a delicious deal for 300 dollars, if I can find someone to pick it up in the US and bring it down. Maybe by the end of this year, I'll take the plunge.

COngratulatoins. I am itching to get a BDP for my Plasma as well. The HQV equipped Samsung BD-P2500 sounds like a delicious deal for 300 dollars, if I can find someone to pick it up in the US and bring it down. Maybe by the end of this year, I'll take the plunge.

I have my MIL slated to come in October from U.S. (as things stand now). Let me know if you want me to check with my folks there and what's the best deal they can get on it.

Only problem I can see is weight being an issue since my MIL will come loaded with stuff for the wife.

@realactivex - Congrats on the new home and everything else. The PV8 is an awesome TV. Even for Full HD content and even gaming via the PS3. It will hold its own against any Full HD LCD with only the Sony X series maybe slightly ahead but again debatable. Some prefer the Panasonic Plasma and some the Sony LCD here.

The PS3 is actually a pretty good Blu-Ray player. Its a bit slow though to load up and respond at times. I've upgraded the internal HDD to 160GB and will be trying the 320GB or a 500GB soon. Once that's done the PS3 will move to be the media center in the living room and I will load music listened to by the rest of the family members and some movies. With the video going to the PV8 and the audio to the Onkyo AVR it totally replaces the need for any DVDP, Blu-Ray player, etc. Of course its a very noisy place when my nephews and nieces hit the place, but the joy the kids give us with all their yelling and war whooping when playing games is a sight to behold.

I though am perfectly happy with the PC and the Panasonic 29" CRT in my bedroom. Well at least until I get a 50" Full HD plasma/LCD along with a Blu-Ray player like the Oppo Blu-Ray player.

Bangalore is a place I visit often (well at least yearly) so once your setup is ready I will definitely drop in for an audition.

Most welcome moserw, it will be a pleasure to meet you. Do drop me a PM when you intend to come to banglr and lets take it from there.

hella a lot of similarities between you and me realactivex, my home too, isnt done up yet , it might take four or five months for me to move in , the so called "dust free" installation time :p ive been accumulating gizmos piece by piece just like u are, and most of mine are in wraps too, like the onkyo 876, sanyo plv z 3000, etc...right now just unwrapped the popcorn hour and acquainting myself with it after hooking it up with my old tv :) And like you i ran out of cash for my ps3 and 100 '' screen ...he he..but ill get in in another four months and fix em all up. and then it would be my turn to invite you over for a cuppa ... the price you paid for ur epson seems a tad too high for me... congrats on your pv8. many more yrs of fun wished your way .

Congrats Realactivex tht was very well written. What you r doin is right dont settle for any ol receiver and speaker go for a really good one like suprateep suggested yam 863 is a very good receiver.

Wud luv to have a look at your setup sometime :yahoo:

For now enjoy your tv and BD players you have the makings of a seriously good home theatre.

Check out Cars BD and if possible buy the Planet Earth Blue Ray from landmark trust me real you wud love your TV and BD player even more after tht.

For a sample if you want a 720p resolution of Planet Earth do let me know I have a mkv file in my HDD if your player plays Divx via USB then you can get a sample of this before buying the actual DVD.

@Rem, Thanks!
I have seen both cars and planet earth in BD in a forum member's house (vkiran). I have not seen any posts from him for quite sometime and may be he has opted out of this forum. That was an experience which i cherish.
He had a Sharp 720p projector at that time and i saw cars on his 120" screen in his dedicated home theatre. Thats when i cemented my intent of buying a projector.

On a bigger note- the experience we all get by interacting with other forum members and getting to experience their systems is a joy to behold.
The moderators and the general participants in hifivision have done splendidly on two counts : a) by painstakingly contributing valuable inputs actively and regularly and sharing their wealth of knowledge with other forum members.
b) by being so very accomodative to let other forum members visit their homes and experience their set ups . Trust me- this immensely aids in building up opinions on products and set ups "like no other" (no! i didnt copy SONY here)

I am not sure if there are any other active forums specific to products and members of india where the members are so accomodative and in the true spirit of sharing! Kudos again to everybody for making this forum such a wonderful place to be seen in :)

@realactivex

Good that you hve seen it :yahoo: coz ever since I saw those videos I hve decided that wen i build a new home m definitely going to have a separate room for HT though m not a movie buff myself.

For your information Planet Earth BD the whole set is going at a discounted rate in amazon you can check it out.

congrats again and enjoy your new setup.

cheers
Rem

hey moser, that's a fantastically generous offer, but I do realise the weight implications and I am sure I'll be able to find someone who will be travelling light, and who I won't feel guilty about burdening like that. Thanks again for the offer dude, really appreciate the thought.

I have my MIL slated to come in October from U.S. (as things stand now). Let me know if you want me to check with my folks there and what's the best deal they can get on it.

Only problem I can see is weight being an issue since my MIL will come loaded with stuff for the wife.

I have been looking at friends traveling light - but they all ditch just before the travel. Have given up on getting anything from the US. :sad:

hey moser, that's a fantastically generous offer, but I do realise the weight implications and I am sure I'll be able to find someone who will be travelling light, and who I won't feel guilty about burdening like that. Thanks again for the offer dude, really appreciate the thought.

I have been looking at friends traveling light - but they all ditch just before the travel. Have given up on getting anything from the US. :sad:

Ha ha. Have to agree here. You might not believe it, but its tough for me to get stuff and I have tons of relatives including very near and dear ones like my SIL, my own sister, a brother and so many cousins, not to mention the uncles and aunties. The best part is even with my MIL I'm having to scrimp and fit in things since the wife has so much stuff coming in for her. I still have time to decide on the Oppo Blu-Ray player, but I'm getting PC peripherals, and PS3 games and media which are just not available here.

Cannot believe women want perfumes, soaps, clothes (all of which is available here in India) and other such stuff instead of the latest PS3 game, or the latest graphics card, soundcard and other stuff for the PC. I cannot put anything above electronic gadgets, but they are the bottom of the barrel for the wife.

October should give you enough time to read the reviews and user feedback and see if it's worth putting down 500 bucks for the Oppo, or whether you'll be happy with the 300 buck Samsung.

Ha ha. Have to agree here. You might not believe it, but its tough for me to get stuff and I have tons of relatives including very near and dear ones like my SIL, my own sister, a brother and so many cousins, not to mention the uncles and aunties. The best part is even with my MIL I'm having to scrimp and fit in things since the wife has so much stuff coming in for her. I still have time to decide on the Oppo Blu-Ray player, but I'm getting PC peripherals, and PS3 games and media which are just not available here.

Cannot believe women want perfumes, soaps, clothes (all of which is available here in India) and other such stuff instead of the latest PS3 game, or the latest graphics card, soundcard and other stuff for the PC. I cannot put anything above electronic gadgets, but they are the bottom of the barrel for the wife.

You should know by now my general distaste/distrust of the Koreans. No Samsung for me. Also, I'm sold on Oppo having used the 983. Still let's see if prices come down or any bugs need to be sorted out.

October should give you enough time to read the reviews and user feedback and see if it's worth putting down 500 bucks for the Oppo, or whether you'll be happy with the 300 buck Samsung.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back