Finally this year's best LED LCD-The b8500-CNET's Exclusive Reviews

Gfreeman

CNET has finally reviewed the backlit LED LCD B8500. They term it the best LCD ever.
To summarize they say
Best overall blacks but still does beat not the Kuro(sitting straight ahead)
Best overall colour accuracy except for the Kuro and the LH90
Best overall shadow detail but does not beat the V10 and Kuro
Best motion resolution amongst LED LCDs
Great energy efficiency matching Edge Lit LEDs LCDs

On the downside
Blooming(but better than all backlit LEDs till date) and poor off angle viewing as usual

Most of us are familiar with the CNET link but here it is
http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-...-6482_7-33740174.html?tag=centerColumnArea1.1

Though the 55 inch version retails at around 4500$(Rs 225000) Amazon has already reduced its price to around 4050$( approx. 202500). We should see more of these backlits in the coming months and with LG actually kicking up a storm with its invariably cheaper LH90 prices should come down further. Also expect Sony to possibly speed up its plans for the X5500 from their original 2010 deadline.

Last edited:
so finally the xbr8 had to give up its throne.
i think samsung will price these probably the same price as the X450A in india,since that is its real competition.
as far X5500 i doubt sony will launch it any time soon,from next year we will see the sonys with sharp panels ,if the contrast ratios of sharp new tech are to believed we will see tvs that have natively higher contrast.

offcourse expect the same panels from sharp,which already have lcd tvs with this new tech to be launched next month in japanSharp Introduces LX Series of LED AQUOS | SHARP specs http://www.sharp-world.com/corporate/news/090929.html

Last edited:
We all hope that these new technologies will finally eliminate the most common problems nagging High Def TVs both plasma and LCD alike. While contrast ratios have improved leaps and bounds in the past year or so other issues like viewing angles,motion,sd perf,input lag etc still plague today's televisions.

We all hope that these new technologies will finally eliminate the most common problems nagging High Def TVs both plasma and LCD alike. While contrast ratios have improved leaps and bounds in the past year or so other issues like viewing angles,motion,sd perf,input lag etc still plague today's televisions.

well input lag and motion should see some improvements,since the claimed/reported response time is now in micro seconds vs Milli seconds of the present lcds.so this will take it close OLED category in terms response time and motion.but not much improvements in viewing angle.
SD performance again depends on the image processing rather then the panel.

well input lag and motion should see some improvements,since the claimed/reported response time is now in micro seconds vs Milli seconds of the present lcds.so this will take it close OLED category in terms response time and motion.but not much improvements in viewing angle.

Isn't it really sad that Image processing still suck on today's TVs. I am not sure how much input lag will improve by this new technology as its video processing that primarily causes input lag in today's TVs. Despite improvements in response times in terms of ms the B750, W550 and so on have had more input lag than last year's LCD Tvs.
So if it is LCD based technology we still need improvements in both image processing and panels. But yes manufacturers should hopefully be finding answers to these issues one by one.
Finding answers to viewing angle issues still remains difficult due to the backlight block concept of LCD TVs. I guess the obvious easier solution then is to move to a newer technology like OLED.

Last edited:
well based on leaked info,looks like sony has plans to launch lcd tvs with the new UV2A tech.with BE3 PRO and speakers from EMOLABS .
the replacement for XBR8 or X450 will be the XBR12 with RGB LED backlight.

the below called XBR11 uses White LED backlight
weblinke.jpg

also announced are new sony EDGE Lit LED lcd and RGB LED backlight lcds and a mystery size OLED tv.
weblink2.jpg

above could be our V650A or W650A series in india.

so looks like 2010 will be a exciting with many good tvs from various manufactures.

Last edited:
so finally the xbr8 had to give up its thrown.

I guess u wanted to say Throne, xbr8 never was even remotely closer to any freakin throne (may be cnet's rubbish sponsored throne which only an idiot will believe).

Interesting Info and nice to know that sharp is working pretty hard in updating thier LCD tech.

Here's the AVForums review of the Samsung B8000.. David doesn't like it much..

Samsung UE46B8000 LCD HDTV Review at AVForums.com

well the B8000 is EDGElit LED lcd,the B8500 is a local dimming LED.

I guess u wanted to say Throne, xbr8 never was even remotely closer to any freakin throne (may be cnet's rubbish sponsored throne which only an idiot will believe).
well may be for ignorant people.if u feel CNET is wrong. is here a quote from another source With a clearly superior performance to the Samsung 55in LE55A956 and a less controversial image processing system - and much bigger screen - than the Philips 42in 42PF9803, the 55X4500 is the all-round best LED-based TV I've seen so far. And as such, it's also the first TV to genuinely threaten Pioneer's established position as the previously undisputed king of picture quality...
but the 55X4500 is a truly landmark product that finally elevates the brand to the same sort of heights in the flat TV world that it once enjoyed in the CRT world. Honestly, it's that good. ....

Sony Bravia KDL-55X4500 55in LCD TV Review - TV Reviews - TrustedReviews

BTW thanks for pointing out the typo.

here is quote from a shootout by hometheatre mag b/w the pioneer kuro,panasonic plasma,samsung 9 series LED lcd and XBR8.
The Sony came in a close second in the judging, and one of the panelists rated it first.
Home Theater: Sony BRAVIA KDL-55XBR8 LCD HDTV

from another
Though pricey, Sonys LED-backlit XBR8 establishes a new performance benchmark for LCD TVs
Sound & Vision Magazine - Sony Bravia KDL-55XBR8 55-inch LCD HDTV

Last edited:

viewing angles & motion are never a problem for plasmas.

How do you think local dimming is capable doing anything other than increased black levels? Infact the general consensus is that first generation of local dimming LCDs are worse than today's LCDs in terms of viewing angle. IPS panels especially.

How do you think local dimming is capable doing anything other than increased black levels? Infact the general consensus is that first generation of local dimming LCDs are worse than today's LCDs in terms of viewing angle. IPS panels especially.

well it is true that current local dimming sets suffer from reduced viewing angle.but it does increase the black levels and it will consume lesser power when showing black levels.
but local dimming is improving and LED tech in particular is growing rapidly,almost following Moore's law in terms of lumen's/watt,they are also getting cheaper.so u put more LED and better power efficiency.
current LED in tvs are rated at about 80lumens/watt,there are already 160lumens/watt LED emitters in the labs,and 120 lumens/watt LEDs already in mass production.
the future in lcds is offcourse LED backlight with local dimming.
but new lcd tech are also promising better blacks AUO and CMO both have announced(in production 2010) panels with 16000:1 static contrast with out local or global dimming,compared to their existing lcd panels rated at 5000:1,they are also talking about improved viewing angles.

motion issues is compensated by frame insertion tech 100hz/200hz,some may not like the added effect.but many like it.
but natively better motion is available with new lcd tech like UV2A(in production now) and BLUE Phase LCD to be launched in 2011.

Last edited:
viewing angles & motion are never a problem for plasmas.

Sorry Blasto. I think i should have been clearer. My two lines are talking about today's HDTV problems. I did not mean to say that all these issues i mentioned are common to both species of HDTVs. Personally, if i were to jot down the advantages of LCDs over plasma i would find the plasma advantages enough for me to go ahead and buy one..the very reason why i am inclined towards a V10 purchase. Pioneer unfortunately is out of my reach. Having said this SD and phosphor trailing are still a problem on many plasmas. Phosphor trailing may become noticeable and worsen over a period of time depending on how you stress plasma cells

Back