Fire TV stick...Batteries getting discharged fast.

Subcenter2009

Dear friends,
The batteries of my fire TV stick remote don't last very long.
Could it be because the remote and the HDMI stick are constantly communicating with each other?
Could the internet be talking to the remote and using up the batteries?
Nothing wrong with the remote.
Another alarming worry.. What if someone is able to see what I am doing without my knowledge?
What I am watching... What I am browsing... What music I may be listening to...
Because, If the stick is online, It may be transmitting data to anyone concerned.
The hazards of modern technology... Our privacy is on the line.
Friends, please comment on:
1. The short life of the batteries. (2 x AAA batteries) If anyone has experienced.
2. Our privacy.
Help make our browsing safe.
The remote with the Fire TV stick doesn't use Infrared.
Seems to be some radio technology like bluetooth.
No need to point the remote at the fire TV stick. Works well when pointed in any direction.:)
Both the AAA batteries of the fire Tv stick remote are loaded in line with each other.
Not in opposing directions. So, both the pluses are adjacent to each other.;)
Edit:
Moderators,
Please feel free to move this post to the "Media and streaming players" section if this section is inappropriate.
I had posted this article in the "Digital cable and DTH" section by mistake.
Thanking you,
Yours,
Subcenter2009
Mod's nore:
Moved to the appropriate section.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had this issue of battery draining very fast in my normal Fire TV Stick. I did not face this issue in the new 4K fire TV stick and battery life is quite long in this one.

A very peculiar problem with my fire stick (normal model NON 4K).

The batteries drained after 2-3 months of use. So replaced with Panasonic AAA. Didn't work.

In fact it doesn't work with any other batteries. If I placed the drained amazon basics batteries in it they work for a while.

Don't know what's happening.

A very peculiar problem with my fire stick (normal model NON 4K).

The batteries drained after 2-3 months of use. So replaced with Panasonic AAA. Didn't work.

In fact it doesn't work with any other batteries. If I placed the drained amazon basics batteries in it they work for a while.

Don't know what's happening.
This indeed is a strange problem. I have used many different batteries with my previous Fire TV (normal) but battery drained real fast. Not even last for one month. 4K Fire TV do not have this issue.
Drained batteries regain some power after sometime which may be the reason for working again for a short while and this is normal. You may ask for replacement via Amazon customer care.

Yes the remote uses Bluetooth for communication and hence the battery drain. Try using Duracell batteries, they tend to last longer.

Alternatively you can make effective use of your ARC feature, if your TV supports ARC. You can connect the firetv stick to HDMI port with ARC. Enable ARC in Television and in the Firetv stick under settings. In effect you can use your TV remote for controlling firetv stick and reduce usage of one remote (will lose out on voice search).
When I bought the AVR I simply connected my AVR to HDMI-ARC port of the television, connected the firetv stick to AVRs input and to my surprise Television remote worked just fine with the Firetv stick.

Dear friends,
Could it be because the remote and the HDMI stick are constantly communicating with each other?
Another alarming worry.. What if someone is able to see what I am doing without my knowledge?
Because, If the stick is online, It may be transmitting data to anyone concerned.
1. The short life of the batteries. (2 x AAA batteries) If anyone has experienced.
2. Our privacy.
Help make our browsing safer.
Yours,
Subcenter2009

Which batteries are you using?

And, nothing to be alarmed about Firestick, no one can see what you are doing. If there are other devices using the same account, they would be able to see the watch history. Nothing else.

Also, try resetting your remote. Google up the steps to do it.

MaSh

I put in normal Everready red batteries last month. So far so good.

MaSh

I had same problem they told me the solution writting here...

Enclosing here their email

I’m following up with the recent phone conversation you had with us.

I'm sorry about the issue you are having with your Fire TV Stick remote.

I request you to please follow the below trouble step and also, iff possible remove the batteries from the remote while not in use as the Fire TV Stick works on a different bluetooth type technology due to which the remote continuously is in search for a Fire TV Stick connection when not connected to one. The battery drain shouldn't as much as it is now tough

I request you to Factory reset the remote and check this should resolve the issue:

Factory re-set the remote by pressing Menu Button, Back button and Left button on the wheel simultaneously (together, at the same time) for 25 seconds.

Now, remove the AAA batteries from the remote.

Switch on your Fire TV device and wait for the Home Screen to appear.

Insert AAA batteries now (Note: Make sure the batteries are inserted correctly-- both "positives" should be pointing up toward the top of the remote, despite whatever the battery insertion markings might indicate).

Now leave the remote in close proximity of the device and wait for 60 seconds.

If the remote doesn’t pair in the previous step, press and hold the Home button for 10 seconds to make it discoverable, and then keep the remote in close proximity of the device again for 60 seconds. The device should pair now within 60 seconds.

In case you need any further assistance or if you still have any other queries or complaints. You can contact our team directly on 1-800-3000-9011.

I had similar issue with Firestick 4k, battery was dying every week, Reset worked and same battery since 2 months now.

Dear friends,
2. Our privacy.
No need to point the remote at the fire TV stick. Works well when pointed in any direction.:)
Both the AAA batteries of the fire Tv stick remote are loaded in line with each other.
Edit:
Moderators,
Please feel free to move this post to the "Media and streaming players" section if this section is inappropriate.
Thanking you,
Yours,
Subcenter2009
Mod's nore:
I don’t have a firestick anymore but duracell ultra lasted long.
My friend uses rechargeable batteries, bought a charger and 4 batteries. Batteries last a month approx. Replaces with the other 2 and puts the used ones on charge.

It's a known issue with the Remote.

I had called their CC almost a year after buying it and complained abt it . They refunded 700rs for my troubles ;)

I had been using the Fire TV app or my VU Tv's remote since then to control it.

Hi
Dear friends,
2. Our privacy.
Edit:
Moderators,
Thanking you,
Yours,
Subcenter2009
Mod's nore:
Hi Subcenter,
I had the same problem and i did call the amazon cc and they suggested the remote reset. But for me it didn't work.

Now I use duracell AAA batteries which are much better than previous ones. Also i have installed the fire tv remote app.. Just in case..

I too had the similar problem with my first remote every week I used to replace new set of batteries. Once batteries got leaked the chemical liquid,frustrated and called Amazon support they replaced with new remote of free of cost. But bad luck continues with new remote also..tried reset but no luck. Work around is whenever I use I just put batteries. once I forgot to remove the batteries from remote next day morning all drained.
***Firestick is on only when we watch.

Have been using fire stick 4k for more than 8 months and have not changed the batteries yet - still running on amazon basic batteries that came with it. Problem could be with earlier gen fire sticks.

I'm guessing from all the posts, the problem seems to be with the firetv stick and not the Firetv stick 4k. My remote lasted longer with Amazon basics batteries that came along as well.

Duracell batteries work better in Fire Stick remote. Even everyready and Nippo batteries is not trustworthy it got leaked twice.

Our Fire Stick Remote is draining batteries rapidly i.e. within less than a fortnight of use. Changed two sets already after lockdown. Any one has experienced this. I used Panasonic high charge batteries both times but no improvement. Didn't realise earlier since usage was less.

It's more than a year old, so I guess Amazon wouldn't consider. Secondly is fast battery draining considered under warranty.

Are there any other options like replacement remotes etc. I don't have a Logitech but have a Universal remote with learning function but not all functions are working seamlessly.

Anyone has experienced such issues and got any ideas pl

Last edited:
Yes, that's a known issue. That remote chews up batteries. Ordinary batteries wont do. Try using Duracell. Also, try resetting the remote through the settings. Resetting helped with my remote to an extent.

MaSh

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back