First Home Theatre Setup

abdulla33

Hi Forum members

This is the first time setting up a home theatre system and I am very excited. My usage is 60% movies and TV series (streaming & stored digitally), 20%gaming and 20% music. As this my first time I am not comfortable spending a lot and looking to get a decent 5.0 setup for about 65k-70k. I want to see if HiFi is really my thing.

A basic question I have is if I should get a 5.1 AVR or a 7.2 AVR to get some Atmos in the future. Any way i think I would upgrade the system in 2-3years time as upgrading bug would catch up with me.

The room size is 20ft by 12 ft and the tv would go on the 12ft wall and is a dedicated room. I have shortlisted following setup-

AVR
1)Yamaha RX-V585 or Denon X1400H - can add Atmos speakers later
or
2) Can you please suggest an entry level 5.1 AVR

Speakers
1) Taga 606 v3 or Taga 606 SE - If anyone can tell if there is significant difference between these two models?

I am not able to audition the speakers locally. I did listen to Yamaha AVR and Davis speakers which sounded very good but are way over budget.

I understand that higher price speakers and AVR are good for Atmos but these speakers paired with an entry level ceiling speakers would they give good Atmos effect or should I better wait it out and buy it during my upgrading process in 2 years. The reason I am asking this is i could go with a good 5.1 AVR if not. And also the Atmos content in streaming services are quite less.

Again the only reason I looking at Atmos is because I need a filling sound experience. Are 5.1 speakers sound stage enough to fill the room by itself?

I am asking a lot of questions here but any help would be wonderful.

Invest in speakers they will last longer than your avr,also if 70 k us ur total budget taga nd polk fusion series t50 would be ur best bet

At this budget, please plan invest in 5.1 AVR and invest in good speakers. Once you are done with the AVR, you can always switch the AVR to 7.2 2-3 years later. I think you can audition HT Store in JP Nagar in Bangalore for an audition. Just give them a call check once before going.
Regarding AVR you can get Denon X550 BT at 30k in Bangalore. PM me, I can a share contact who can help you with AVR at good discount.

Thank you for the replies.

With some research and going over the forum I have realised that anything over 5.1 in the budget will sound like crap. I like the idea of getting the Denon X550Bt at that price point, so that leaves me with 40k for the speakers. I am thinking of a 5.0 setup with this budget.
option for speakers -
1. Polk T series
2. Taga 606 v3

If I were to increase the budget to 60K for speakers instead of 40K, can you guys please suggest any good speakers that i should be looking into.

The other question I have is towers absolutely necessary? Can I have bookshelf all around paired with a decent sub for this new budget. Will that fill the room of size 20ftx12ft?

Thanks in advance.

You can also look at the Denon 1400 at 35000. It's a decent AVR to start off with. I'm using the Taga Harmony TAV 606 SE, and I'm pretty happy with it.
Since you mentioned your usage is more inclined to movies go with a Denon AVR. Sent you a PM.

As this my first time I am not comfortable spending a lot and looking to get a decent 5.0 setup for about 65k-70k

Pretty good budget for a first time build.. Do a 5.1 AVR +5.1 speakers set-up and complete your set-up with in your budget.. When you have the budget later and when you feel the need for more, upgrade your AVR..

If you pick a 7.1 AVR now, then you would at-best be able to complete 7.1 AVR + 5.0 (or) less package..

IMO, don't kill the movie experience for Atmos by opting for 7.1 AVR and few speakers only... Complete the 5.1 set-up and start enjoying movies..

You may consider Taga TAV 5.0 speaker packages, which you can accommodate in your budget..

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for your input. I am getting Taga 606SE and Polk T series for the same price. Which one should I go for?
Sadly I can't audition them so looking for members advice who have listened to both.

Thanks

The polks have got great reviews them along with the andrew jones are the most rated speakers for something under 50k

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for your input. I am getting Taga 606SE and Polk T series for the same price. Which one should I go for?
Sadly I can't audition them so looking for members advice who have listened to both.

Thanks
Based on my recent experience you can't get Polk T series at the rate of Taga's, please don't get confuse between Polk audio TL1600 with Polk T series. TL1600 (containing satellite speakers) sells around 40k similar to Taga Harmony 606SE, while Polk T series (includes FS) sells around 60k.

When same price I mean the taga 606se with a sub would cost very similar to Polk T series 5.1 set. The polk T series do have some reviews on the internet which are largely positive but I am not sure if those are paid/ biased reviews. I am not able to audition these two models as they are very basic and no one has them on demo. So that's the reason I relying on FM experience if they have listened to both in past or have experience with them.

The other general thing I see is dealers just praise whichever models they have. I need help in understanding that I am not breaking my heading on something very trivial and at this price point I couldn't go wrong either way.

When same price I mean the taga 606se with a sub would cost very similar to Polk T series 5.1 set. The polk T series do have some reviews on the internet which are largely positive but I am not sure if those are paid/ biased reviews. I am not able to audition these two models as they are very basic and no one has them on demo. So that's the reason I relying on FM experience if they have listened to both in past or have experience with them.

The other general thing I see is dealers just praise whichever models they have. I need help in understanding that I am not breaking my heading on something very trivial and at this price point I couldn't go wrong either way.
what is the price of taga 606 se

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back