First Impressions and Reviews of the Oppo BDP83 Blu Ray Player

what was the total cost of the player(including customs) ... and the mod .. ?

I have bought the player from Shop in the US from India @ 20North - Millions of products, Thousands of brands and it costed me 38k inclusive of customs and shipping but now they have increased the prices by another 3k.
The mod kit I have bought seperately from JVB Digital, Codefree Oppo BDP-83 DVD modification kit which costed me 6.8k inclusive of shipping and I didn't had to pay any custom duty on the mod as it came in an ordinary envelope during Rakhi time so it could have been mistaken with Rakhi as the envelope was not even opened for checking.

hey Ashish!!

Whats happenin'?
I just had a look at your pic album at photobucket. Yaar, you need to give some space for your speakers to breathe! Your speakers look suffocated. I bet you can extract more music from your speakers if you give them some space.

And, buddy you need a new rack!!!

Cheers!

Sumit.

hey Ashish!!

Whats happenin'?
I just had a look at your pic album at photobucket. Yaar, you need to give some space for your speakers to breathe! Your speakers look suffocated. I bet you can extract more music from your speakers if you give them some space.

And, buddy you need a new rack!!!

Cheers!

Sumit.

Sumit thanks for showing your concern but the setup is kept in my bedroom right now so I am having space issues already with 7.1 setup. Actually this setup is meant for my New House which would take another 6 months to complete. There I am having the basement of the size of 28 ft x 22 ft, which I would be converting to a dedicated theatre. Wife and Parents already think that I am crazy and my bedroom doesn't look like a bedroom because of so many wires running around.

Congrats Ashish on your purchase! Nice pics by the way. This forum really needs more owners like to post pics.

great purchase , equipment collection ..
50k roughly well spent .

However ... there are new media boxes coming for replacing these BD players etc with powerful AV chips ,also disc drives to play from discs..costing <15k...with huge no of features .

great purchase , equipment collection ..
50k roughly well spent .

However ... there are new media boxes coming for replacing these BD players etc with powerful AV chips ,also disc drives to play from discs..costing <15k...with huge no of features .
Thanks man. I know that the future belongs to these all in one digital media boxes but I still believe that it's another 5 years down the line since for contents we also depend on the Internet which is a pain in the axx right now due to the slow speed and high costing. We need speed at the @2gb per sec to download HD videos in a flash and I thing that far from now. At present I am not missing anything on the digitl contents too as I have my Ps3 tweaked to boot on Linux and then let me take advantage of this domain.

But streaming at 2mbps is not the only option ...
those media boxes now a days started playing discs too with external drives...Blue Ray discs too..!

hmm ..its always a pleasure to pop discs in ..and play in dedicated player .. also oppo player has superior audio .

those media boxes now a days started playing discs too with external drives...Blue Ray discs too..!

hmm ..its always a pleasure to pop discs in ..and play in dedicated player .. also oppo player has superior audio .

I didn't mean 2Mbps but 2Gbps. I am aware of the media boxes but I would still say that full utilisation of those is atleast 5 years from now. Future would be server based setups with digital streaming through Satallites directly to your home for all media related stuff.

For now Oppo fulfills all my disk related needs and is a Universal player with a value for money proposition. It Plays Blu Ray, DVD, SACD, DVD-A, Audio CD (Performance easily comparable with dedicated CD Players from the Likes of Marantz,NAD and CA.) and last but not the least support for various digital formats through USB, so the possibilities are endless.

After the new FW update realeased by Oppo in January, this player has gained even more Value as Oppo has added the support for contents streamed through the Network to be played onto this player. This player didn't support NTFS file system through USB port but after this rescent upgrade BDP 83 has also ventured in the market of Media players which can play contents through the network. In my case since I have a NAS which stores all my digital media so I am able to play contents wirelessly through my Oppo BDP83 which is connected with the Linksys wireless WET54G bridge. This new Network playback feature and also a lot of other usefull feature added to this player makes it the best VFM Universal player among all avaliable.

I have bought the player from Shop in the US from India @ 20North - Millions of products, Thousands of brands and it costed me 38k inclusive of customs and shipping but now they have increased the prices by another 3k.
The mod kit I have bought seperately from JVB Digital, Codefree Oppo BDP-83 DVD modification kit which costed me 6.8k inclusive of shipping and I didn't had to pay any custom duty on the mod as it came in an ordinary envelope during Rakhi time so it could have been mistaken with Rakhi as the envelope was not even opened for checking.

How much of soldering is involved for this mod btw ?

Interesting, the manual I have linked is from the same page of the kit. Yet, if you read the page, it says this kit needs no soldering.

I guess it is a solder free installation :)

Next time I will call you to my place when a forum member brings his Oppo again to my place - chances are very good that you will conclude the Oppo pure Audio playback is inferior to Marantz cd6002 budget SQ. Only the treble resolution and definition is better. :)

The Oppo BD-83 is only good for "non-audiophile" playback experience to my taste .... :)

Cheers

Last edited:
After the new FW update realeased by Oppo in January, this player has gained even more Value as Oppo has added the support for contents streamed through the Network to be played onto this player. This player didn't support NTFS file system through USB port but after this rescent upgrade BDP 83 has also ventured in the market of Media players which can play contents through the network. In my case since I have a NAS which stores all my digital media so I am able to play contents wirelessly through my Oppo BDP83 which is connected with the Linksys wireless WET54G bridge. This new Network playback feature and also a lot of other usefull feature added to this player makes it the best VFM Universal player among all avaliable.

I am about to pick up an Oppo BD-80 (not for its SQ, purely for video convenience). Will this player work with network media ?

TIA
Regards

I am about to pick up an Oppo BD-80 (not for its SQ, purely for video convenience). Will this player work with network media ?

TIA
Regards

Yes it should work with the network media as the interface for both the models are same and the same has been confirmed to me by Karan Aneja who has recently bought the BD 80 model of Oppo.

TIA
Regards

hi
i have this player and yes it will work with network media but not yet. i spoke to oppo ppl and they are saying they will have the same features as the oppo bdp 83 in the next firmware update of bdp-80

Back