First time HT user, room layout and 5.1.2 speaker recommendation?

trumee

Hello,

I am setting up a home theatre for the first time. I have bought the first piece of the puzzle Denon AVC-X3700H. I am looking for suggestion on speakers. The picture below shows my TV cabinet. First limitation I have is that there is no place to put floor standing speakers. If i were to place book shelf, there is a height constraint on the right of 11 inches.

1620814311164.png

The picture below shows the seating area. This will house a sofa on the wall. I am thinking of putting the Sub woofer at the corner of the walls.
1620813528304.png

I was considering to use the Polk speakers,

Centre - S35 - WXDXH- 20"x10.6"x7.5"
FL/FR - S20 - WXDXH- 8.5"x13.8"x14.8"
Sub - HTS 12 - WXDXH- 17.126"x18.11"x18.5"
SL/SR - OWM3 - WXDXH- 7"x4"x10"
Ceiling ATMOS - OWM3 - WXDXH- 7"x4"x10"

Unfortunately, the S20 FR speaker height (14") is more than what i have space for (~11"). There is shelf above which has a better height (24"), but its depth is small. I can do some makeshift arrangement to place speaker, but was wondering whether I should go with another brand.

Any suggestions on what speakers can i use with this layout?

Thanks

You can use QAcoustics 3020i for your fronts and 3090Ci for centre. Rest can be Polk OWM3s.
Since you have the option to mount the TV to the board, you can make space for the centre channel easily.

Also, try to keep the subwoofer on the floor.

Thanks 3020i fits at borderline at 11 inches and could work. I made a comparison between S20 and 3020i,

3020i​
S20​
Bass​
5 inch​
6.5 inch​
Treble​
0.9 inch​
1 inch​
Freq​
64 Hz – 30 kHz​
39 Hz – 40 kHz​
Impedance​
6 ohm​
8 ohm​
Sensitivity​
88 dB​
88 dB​

Is S20 much better than 3020i?

Also experience with S20 + S30 = 3020i + 3090Ci ?

I do have the space to put the centre channels S30 or 3090Ci. And the TV will definitely be mounted.

Thanks 3020i fits at borderline at 11 inches and could work. I made a comparison between S20 and 3020i,

3020i​
S20​
Bass​
5 inch​
6.5 inch​
Treble​
0.9 inch​
1 inch​
Freq​
64 Hz – 30 kHz​
39 Hz – 40 kHz​
Impedance​
6 ohm​
8 ohm​
Sensitivity​
88 dB​
88 dB​

Is S20 much better than 3020i?

Also experience with S20 + S30 = 3020i + 3090Ci ?

I do have the space to put the centre channels S30 or 3090Ci. And the TV will definitely be mounted.
For now, go with those for which you don't have to modify your TV cabinet. You can always upgrade in a few years and sell your LCR channels and keep the Atmos.

Since you have a very good AVR, I'd suggest you to play with audyssey calibration for sometime and get a better sub like Rythmik, SVS or REL.

Thanks for the suggestion. Do you model numbers to share for Rythmik, SVS and Rel?

My primary need is for movies, I dont consider myself as an audiophile :)

Thanks for the suggestion. Do you model numbers to share for Rythmik, SVS and Rel?

My primary need is for movies, I dont consider myself as an audiophile :)
What is your budget? Get a good center and sub. S35 is ok but better go for a bigger and better center channel

You actually went in reverse, Put cart of AV Unit in front of Horse of Equipment! :)

Why don't you inquire with your Carpenter if he can shift right self without much damage? Otherwise you would need to do with smaller speakers. You will also need to find place from your sub away from AV unit (Not bad thing in fact) as there is no space there.

You actually went in reverse, Put cart of AV Unit in front of Horse of Equipment! :)

Why don't you inquire with your Carpenter if he can shift right self without much damage? Otherwise you would need to do with smaller speakers. You will also need to find place from your sub away from AV unit (Not bad thing in fact) as there is no space there.

That is the downside of living in a rented apartment. Unfortunately, I cant make such kind of changes to house.

The Q Acoustics 3020i can fit the bill, H/W/D 11.0 x 6.7 x 11.1 in. I am not sure how good are they though.

The 3020i are quiet good for HT , I preferred their signature over the Polk. I used the 3020i for surround duties and Concept 20 for fronts with the 3090i as center , was pretty pleased with how this setup sounded overall. Only thing never got around to trying the concept center which people recommend over the 3090i. Enjoyed them for music and movies alike.

Back