First turntable to buy sub Rs 30k in India

bhattacharyyasom

hello guys ,

i am Som from Kolkata , India. Avid music listener. From roots music to heavy metal all is my love. I have been a cd colector for a while now and now want to start a collection of vinyls as well.
Looking for a good first record player.
Right now i have a Sony Deck that i use to listen to tapes and cds.
I was impressed with the Audio Technica Lp 120 but looks like there are power issues with stuff bought from the US.
Can you guys suggest a good Turntable to buy from India. My budget is Rs 15k - 25 k. I may push it to 30 k but not beyond.
I want something that can be maintained in India.

You should check out the Rega RP1, Music Hall MMF2.2, Pro-ject Debut Carbon and Pro-ject Essential ii. They are all priced in the 20K to 25K range.

Thanks for the information. Where do i get these turntables in India ? Any email ids or phone numbers ?
Also i am looking for a player that can play all three speeds.

Thanks for the information.
Can you recommend me a place where to contact in India for these products?
i am interested in the the Project series.
Also i need a player that plays all three speeds.

given your taste in music, I doubt you'll need 3 speeds. 78's are mostly antique stuff - Really old music, which you listen to because you love those artists so much, and those recordings are not available in other formats. Stick to 33/45 - even among that, 90% of your collection will be LP's

Pro-ject Debut Carbon is priced around 40 - 42K. I read numerous complaints on the internet about Pro-ject turntables giving humming problems because of the motor suspension.

even i am looking for a first tt for my kids. should be sub 20K. browsing this forum, i gather that new tt-s are hard to get in kolkata. correct me if i am wrong. you can order from bajaao.com. else, when on a trip to mumbai check dealers over there.

Fly down to Singapore and buy an AT 120 ( 230 V unit ) for around $240/- !
Bring back vinyl and TT duty free ! :)

Last edited:
You can have a nice but used TT through this forum within the budget you mentioned. Just keep your eye open on sale thread and carefully judge reputation of the seller. Few of them selling very reputed models of TTs for long time.

New high quality TTs within 20/25k is very hard to grab.

You can have a nice but used TT through this forum within the budget you mentioned. Just keep your eye open on sale thread and carefully judge reputation of the seller. Few of them selling very reputed models of TTs for long time.

New high quality TTs within 20/25k is very hard to grab.

+! That's the way. You have some very reputed FMs in Kolkata who can guide you.

Hi,
i have a slightly different take.
Used tables, even though they offer better value for money, require a seasoned hand to tweak out. It may be better perhaps to buy a new table for a first timer, unless of course you have an experienced friend to troubleshoot for you.
So also, I would not dismiss Project entry tables. I used to have an xpression for five-six years and it worked quire flawlessly. Eventually, I even had the arm hooked to a moving coil. Frankly there is not much that can go wrong in a simple unsuspended design. Its important however to get the cartridge compliance and tone-arm matched.

Best

MMH selling HMV fiesta-s for 2000! Wondering how much damage they can cause to my old LPs. Is it a good idea to let my kids start listening to vinyl on such oldies and may be 6 months down the line buy a new one if they show enthusiasm?

Can you guys suggest a good Turntable to buy from India.

Unfortunately, there are no quality turntables at the price points you have mentioned. You will have to spend a little more. When I bought my Rega RP1, it was around 24k. This turntable is now listed at 70k on Amazon.

I highly recommend the Denon DP-300F as your starter turntable. It is a plastic turntable but a high quality one and far superior to all the other plastic junk out there. You also have Pro Fx to support you for spares.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back