Fixed screen vs. Motorized/manual drop down screen for home theater

Mine is a 8x6, i.e., a 4:3 screen. I pull it down just enough (4.5 feet) to make it look like 16:9.

Thanks Just4kix,

I have given below the Image size dimensions for the 120" 16:9 and 4:3 ratio also for 135".

The last row represents my current maximum image size and matches exactly with 120" 16:9 screen.

But to save money can I go for a 135" 4:3 screen and just slide till 59" to make it a perfect 16:9 screen? This 135 inch will give me a horizontal width of 108 out of which I can use upto 105" rather than going for a 120" screen which will give me only 96". Please suggest.

Size / Format H.Area V. Area Cost
120" / 16:9 104.6" 58.8" 14000
120" / 4:3 96.0" 72.0" 6900
135" / 4:3 108.0" 81.0" ??
120" 105" 59"

you got the point exactly what i have mentioned in my post on ur query. this is best way to get an economical solution out of screens available in 4:3 format.

u will get 150 screen from delta page @ 9800/- in 4:3 format, that too intsalock design

Thanks Diplomat,

I am worried if i go for a 150" the white horizontal border space might cause some reflection and reduction in picture quality.

Also the whole process of the Projector placement issue might creep in again? wherein my friends and family might start pouring in suggestions to shift the Projector back.

So to avoid further confusions\complications I am planning to go for a 135" 4:3 screen based on the quote I get for it? If the difference is not that huge then might as well go for a 120" 16:9.

I would suggest you manage for 16:9 screen because you won't get a top border if you use a 4:3 screen as 16:9. Border makes quite a bit of difference in the perceived contrast.
Although if your room walls are dark then it might not be that important.Not sure though.

Thanks Diplomat,

I am worried if i go for a 150" the white horizontal border space might cause some reflection and reduction in picture quality.

Also the whole process of the Projector placement issue might creep in again? wherein my friends and family might start pouring in suggestions to shift the Projector back.

So to avoid further confusions\complications I am planning to go for a 135" 4:3 screen based on the quote I get for it? If the difference is not that huge then might as well go for a 120" 16:9.
anyway cost of the screen is best factor for zeroing on, but for 150 inch size itself U shall not unfold the entire height when in use. you have to open up only based on projected image and in that case no white border on top and bottom.

I would suggest you manage for 16:9 screen because you won't get a top border if you use a 4:3 screen as 16:9. Border makes quite a bit of difference in the perceived contrast.
Although if your room walls are dark then it might not be that important.Not sure though.

This can be easily managed by having the pull down screen hidden behind the pelmet and the front of the pelmet can be non reflecting black.

Help required

Hi,

I current project onto a specially painted wall in my house. Now, I am shifting house and my new house will require me to get a screenl.

I actually have 2 screen requirements (I had been "forced" to sell my old projector but there were no takers so my wife has agreed to keep it in the bedroom). the bigger projector will go in the drawing room

In the bedroom, I am looking for 77"-82" 16:9 diagonal screen. this is for an optoma HD803, which is not a bright projector. instalock is okay but a reasonable motorised screen will do as well. (basically upto 6' horizontal width.. this is not a critical viewing thing so even a 4' x 6' screen can do)

In the drawing room, I am looking for a 133" (or min 120") 16:9. am exploring motorised, tab tensioned and fixed frame. over here quality of screen is important so am willing to be a bit more flexible on price.

please do recommend screens and vendores especially in Thane/ mumbai. I would be really happy to hear of experience of large screens and grey / high gain fabric.

thanks in advance

Manual pull-down screens are available for Rs. 6000 to Rs. 10,000. The electric ones are 20K more. I feel that besides the wow/jazz factor, electric screens offer no advantage - requires extra wire from projector (trigger) to screen. If motor is damaged, it renders the whole screen useless. I would rather go for manual pull-down good quality screen.

It was nice to share about the price estimation of pull-down screens. It will be more ideal for conference or classroom. It will be also available according to the custom sizes.
paramountprojector

For a dedicated Home Theater- Go with a Fixed Frame

For option of watching TV as well- Go with a Tab Tensioned Screen- Although not ideal it helps reduce the wrinkles

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back