Fixed screen vs. Motorized/manual drop down screen for home theater

John

Hi guys,

As some of you guys might have my read my other thread. I have been building my new house and a dedicated home theater in it.

You can read further details here.

Quick review, Room is 20' x 10' with approx 7.5' height. 2 rows of recliners. False ceiling using acoustic board. Aurica bass traps and wall panels (to be installed). Projector currently is Optima HD65.

I have reached the final stages now and so am deciding on the projector screen.

I am in a fix.

1) To go for fixed screen using Carl's Blackout Projector Screen cloth . Link.

I can get a 110" x 66" screen. And then get the carpenter to fix it. Total cost won't exceed 9K as per my calculation (including labor and frame).

Or
2) To have a motorized screen and an LED/Plasma TV behind the motorized screen (which can sometimes be used instead of the Projector). I am in a fix. Got a quote of 22K for 110 " x 58" motorized Grandview. I don't have a spare TV yet for the HT room, but in due time I can always get one. Is it a good idea to have a TV in the HT room behind the drop-down screen.

OR

3) Same like #2, but get a manual drop-down screen

Note for moderators: Guys, I really think we need a dedicated home theater build thread on this forums. My original thread was initially under Projectors and Screens, which I kindly got shifted to acoustics after members pointed out that it should be under acoustics. While that is okay, I see many threads for HT builds under Projectors and Screens now. So I think we should have a dedicated Home theater build thread. And subforums for projectors and acoustics where people want to obtain more information for the same. Thanks.

Last edited:
If its a dedicated home theatre then why a plasma behind the screen? Go for a fixed one. I have seen the ripple problem in almost all pull down screens - manual or motorised. It may be minute or unbearable. But if you are as finicky about it as I am you will not like a pull down screen.

question - what is the need of a TV behind a PJ? I can understand if it's a living room, you will need a TV. but for a dedicated HT I dont think one will be watching a TV. so fixed will be my option.
ofcourse if you still feel TV is needed for a reason then pull down is better.just my 2 cents.

Manual pull-down screens are available for Rs. 6000 to Rs. 10,000. The electric ones are 20K more. I feel that besides the wow/jazz factor, electric screens offer no advantage - requires extra wire from projector (trigger) to screen. If motor is damaged, it renders the whole screen useless. I would rather go for manual pull-down good quality screen.

Manual pull-down screens are available for Rs. 6000 to Rs. 10,000. The electric ones are 20K more. I feel that besides the wow/jazz factor, electric screens offer no advantage - requires extra wire from projector (trigger) to screen. If motor is damaged, it renders the whole screen useless. I would rather go for manual pull-down good quality screen.

What is your opion between manual pull-down vs Fixed Frame ?
Why Fixed frame is costlier than manual pull-down even for same screen material & size? How the screen material impact on Visuals?

Since, currently i am also in the same suituation to decide on screen,
I think, I have asked too many questions.

What is your opion between manual pull-down vs Fixed Frame ?
Why Fixed frame is costlier than manual pull-down even for same screen material & size? How the screen material impact on Visuals?

Since, currently i am also in the same suituation to decide on screen,
I think, I have asked too many questions.
Fixed frame vs. pull-down ... It depends upon the situation. If the room is a 100% dedicated HT room, then there is nothing like fixed frame. With a FF screen complete with black masks to cover the complete wall, it gives a theatre like feel too. Plus it is better as you can get the best materials. In my case, my HT room is also a bedroom. My screen pulls down in front of the window (see my setup). Hence I had to do with the pull-down.

Fixed frame is costly no doubt. Additional workmanship and material is required.

Screen material has a LOT of impact on the overall PQ. The black masks around the screen and slightly on the side walls too will cut down on reflection thus increasing overall contrast and black levels. The screen itself must have a gain of 1.1 or so to enhance the brightness.

HI
If HT room , EYES CLOSED go for fixed frame like elite available easily. Installation can be done in 1-2 hours.
I did it myself, you wouldnt regret after fixed screen
Regards
Arun

Fixed frame vs. pull-down ... It depends upon the situation. If the room is a 100% dedicated HT room, then there is nothing like fixed frame. With a FF screen complete with black masks to cover the complete wall, it gives a theatre like feel too. Plus it is better as you can get the best materials. In my case, my HT room is also a bedroom. My screen pulls down in front of the window (see my setup). Hence I had to do with the pull-down.

Fixed frame is costly no doubt. Additional workmanship and material is required.

Screen material has a LOT of impact on the overall PQ. The black masks around the screen and slightly on the side walls too will cut down on reflection thus increasing overall contrast and black levels. The screen itself must have a gain of 1.1 or so to enhance the brightness.

Very nice setup. I like the simplicity. I am also doing HT+Bedroom.
My mind is still inclined towards FF. But worrying about dust formation.
I think my expectation is some thing like "Manual Pull down Tab Tensioned". (I know currenlty it is not available, May be it will come in future)

I am using plain pull-down. There is no tab tension, etc. I use it with the ceiling fan running and there is no screen flutter.

I am using plain pull-down. There is no tab tension, etc.

Today i have done some google on Da-Lite screen materials.
Found the below...(It is not related to screen flutter)

1. There are some screens which can not be used for Pull Down.
(Due to filmsy material), Which can be used only in FF.

2. Found High Contrast Cinema Vision is best among Da-Lite available in GEBAY
But this not available on Pull down, only on FF.

I use it with the ceiling fan running and there is no screen flutter.

You will not switch on A/C while running projector? Is it projector can be played with out A/C?

You will not switch on A/C while running projector? Is it projector can be played with out A/C?

It is a projector, not a blast furnace, for heaven's sake. :) So, no. AC is not required unless it is summer and you yourself are feeling very hot.

I am using plain pull-down. There is no tab tension, etc. I use it with the ceiling fan running and there is no screen flutter.

My room looks pretty much like yours and I intend to use my bedroom as a HT too:). I am getting the 5370 Acer.

What is the size of the bedroom, projection distance and the size of the screen? Any pointers on the where you sourced this pull-down screen would be appreciated and the price.

My room looks pretty much like yours and I intend to use my bedroom as a HT too:). I am getting the 5370 Acer.

What is the size of the bedroom, projection distance and the size of the screen? Any pointers on the where you sourced this pull-down screen would be appreciated and the price.

My bedroom is 15x10. The screen is 8' wide and the projector to screen distance is about 13'. I sourced the screen locally. It is a Liberty screen costing Rs. 6500.

My bedroom is 15x10. The screen is 8' wide and the projector to screen distance is about 13'. I sourced the screen locally. It is a Liberty screen costing Rs. 6500.

Thanks:). My room is 13X10. My projection distance would be about 11-12'. Do you think the 8' would be ok or I should go for something lesser given the lesser projection distance?

It is a projector, not a blast furnace, for heaven's sake. :) So, no. AC is not required unless it is summer and you yourself are feeling very hot.

It is not the projector which will act as a blast furnace, but the weather up north here or in parts like Chennai in India that mandates AC being on most of the time in an year :cool:

Fully agree with you on selecting the manual pull down against a motorized one. In office setups where I have experienced the same - a large TV being used for purpose of presentations and video conf with a manual pull down screen used for projecting content (when TV screen is not in use), have noticed no flutter atleast. Note - we have used the screen with pedestal fans.

Thanks guys, for your responses. I have decided to go for a Fixed Screen. I have ordered Carl's Blackout Cloth Projector Screen material, 66" x 110" (16:9) and it should be here soon. Damages 4080/-, which is quite good considering shipping/customs to India.

Cheers!

Just4kix,

Is the above screen a 4:3 one or 16:9? and when did you purchase this one?

I am getting a quote in excess of 10K for the 120" 16:9 while the 4:3 comes for less than 5K.

Just4kix,

I am getting a quote in excess of 10K for the 120" 16:9 while the 4:3 comes for less than 5K.

If it helps these are the rates i got just recently- instalock
Liberty Vega Manto 120" 16:9 10.5k
Liberty Vega Manto 110" 16:9 9k
Liberty Grandview 120" 16:9 14.5k

I went with Grandview - PQ wise difference was hard to spot between liberty manto and grandview but quality difference was clearly visible. Grandview also comes with Speed reducing system for closing.

Just4kix,

Mine is a 8x6, i.e., a 4:3 screen. I pull it down just enough (4.5 feet) to make it look like 16:9.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back