Floor Standing Speaker + AVR Under 1.5 lacs

pradeepalokraj

Hi,

I am looking for Floor standing speakers + AVR in Delhi. Please guide me:
Room Size: 4mt x 4mt {13ft x 13ft} .(Rented Room)
Budget: 1.5 lacs
TATA sky DTH movies/music/TV series + Movies 50% + Music 50%.
Future Plan: Buy 3D Projector.

Hi I understand you want to buy pair of floorstanders and AVR,

I can recommend KEF Q 700 with Yamaha RXV 679.
Cabasse Jersey With Same Yamaha 679.
Recommend to Audition both of them with PROFX.
These are medium sized floorstanders I belive good for your room size.

Do also check following combinations:

-- Mid Range --
KEF Q series + NAD AVR
B&W 600 series + Marantz AVR

-- Value for Money --
Polk Audio (LSi/RTi) + Onkyo AVR

Thank you. I am considering KEF Q series, Polk RTi7.
KEF Q700 Vs 500 = Which one is better ? Please suggest.

I have seen most of the public places and marriages JBL speakers also. But here nobody is talking about JBL. Anyone can suggest JBL also.

Due to financially constraint, Now I am planning to buy only AVR + 2 No's Floor standing speakers....if permits I will buy Sub-woofer / Centre Speaker - Please suggest which is most important now to feel Home theater effect.

Hi,

If Yamaha is an option, please check out the Aventage series. They really have some serious stuff in it.

if youre not looking to add on surround sound speakers, go with a stereo amp

Q500 are very small or I can say micro towers ?. Q 700 are medium sized floorstanders they sound much open and have great depth in sound.

Polk RtiA7 speakers with lot of bass and power in contrast to KEF.

I can't go for Aventage series. Price is not matching to my budget.
Entry level RX-A850 is Rs.93,990/- from Profx.

In future I will buy Sorrounds hence i will consider AVR only.

As per the link: https://www.techenclave.com/community/threads/home-theatre-speakers-avr-budget-3l.168429/
KEF Q series long term usage creates listening fatigue on ears.
Also RTi7 is good for movies not for Music and also listening fatigue on ears
[http://www.hifivision.com/speakers/60992-avr-floor-standing-speakers-4.html]

I heard Good things about Dali Zensor 7. Any one comment about Dali Zensor 7 over Polk RTi7 / KEF Q700.

Movies 50% and Music 50%.

I can't go for Aventage series. Price is not matching to my budget.
Entry level RX-A850 is Rs.93,990/- from Profx.

In future I will buy Sorrounds hence i will consider AVR only.

As per the link: https://www.techenclave.com/community/threads/home-theatre-speakers-avr-budget-3l.168429/
KEF Q series long term usage creates listening fatigue on ears.
Also RTi7 is good for movies not for Music and also listening fatigue on ears
[http://www.hifivision.com/speakers/60992-avr-floor-standing-speakers-4.html]

I heard Good things about Dali Zensor 7. Any one comment about Dali Zensor 7 over Polk RTi7 / KEF Q700.

Movies 50% and Music 50%.

Still waiting for reply friends!

Hi,

For your room size, BS should be better than FS... FS need space for optimal performance...

You can look for a mid-range AVR for a good Optimal stereo/movie performance... Pioneer AVR are reasonably priced.. Check hifimart.com

Pioneer VSX 930 - Pioneer VSX-930 AV Receiver

In hifimart, Taga Harmony 5.1 speaker package is around 40K.. Speaker Systems : Taga Harmony inMOVE 5.1 Home Theater Package

You can add TAGA HARMONY PLATINUM S-40 BOOKSHELF SPEAKER (PAIR) as your Fronts Taga Harmony Platinum S-40 Bookshelf Speaker (Pair) to complete your 7.1 system...

So abt 120K you are done with a good system... Also you can get 10% discount on taga Harmony products using the coupon code TAGA.. Check with hifimart before if you decide you place order..

Thanks! but i am more interested on Floor Standing speakers.

I am ready to go with small FS like Dali Zensor 5 also if my room size is small. Please suggest!

I have zensor 5 with Denon X2000. Happy with the system. Zensor 7 is very good. The other contender was Rti A5(very good for movies). Have velodyne sub too.

Hi,

Your system usage seems to me mostly music. Don't under estimate 2 channel content in movies/TV series (background music) and music videos.

Choose accordingly. Speakers that do a good job for 2 channels will normally do well in a HT setup, not vice-versa.

Cheers,
Raghu

Thanks!

I think Dali zensor 7 / Polk RTi7 is big (in terms of sound) for my room. I feel i don't get good effect in lower volume if I get big speakers.
Hence I am looking for Dali zensor 5 / Polk RTi 5. As per the past posts Polk RTi5/7 is good for movies only. Expert opinion on this please!

I will add Sorrounds + Sub later: please advice suitable one's.

Also please suggest suitable AVR. I am interested in:
1. Marantz.
2. NOD.

Thanks! but i am more interested on Floor Standing speakers. I am ready to go with small FS like Dali Zensor 5 also if my room size is small. Please suggest!

I think you are being just stubborn on FS speakers. Modern BS speakers are very good, and deliver close to the same volume of sound that FSs do. For example, the Andrew Jones speakers from Pioneer are far ahead in technology and deliver better or same quality than all the speakers you are considering.

FS speakers have multiple issues.

1. They will occupy too much space in your room.
2. Would need a lot of space between themselves to get decent sound staging. FS, to my mind, need at least 10 feet between themselves. That would a tight fit for you room size.
3. They would need large AVRs that deliver at least 100 watts per channel into 8 ohms, 2 channels driven.
4. When paired with AVRs that deliver minimum 100 watts per channel into 8 ohms, will create sound levels that could be jarring unless you spend a lot on room acoustics.

A decent mid level AVR, and a good set of 5.1 BS speakers paired with a largish sub would be ideal for you. Such a system will come well under your budget.

A decent pair of FS speakers would cost anywhere from 40K to 100s of Ks. For the same money you spend on FS, you can get far better BS and surround speakers.

Don't keep chasing 'high end' system needlessly. Spend a little time auditioning decent HT systems. Start enjoying your music and movies. Remember technology is changing fast. Houses are becoming smaller. The push in technology will be for smaller systems, including smaller speakers. Professional sound experts are constantly surprised by the depth and volume that modern BSs can deliver. Keep a open mind and audition a good quality BS system before your decide.

Cheers

Last edited:
+1 to venkatcr's suggestion

Do not rule out BS for HT setup. Eventually you may end up buying a sub. So when in audition mode, why not lend your ears to BS/stand-mounts. If you split your budget to 75K for AVR and 75K for L/R you can get a pair of very nice BS speakers.

In addition to Dali/Polk that you have probably listened to, some of the stand mounts that come to my mind are:
PSB Minis - Absolutely delightful speakers
B&W 600 series - These are good, may require a slightly muscular amp; I own a pair of B&W DM303 (300 series was their budget line 15 years ago; and my set is about 15 years old)
Monitor Audio (bronze/silver) - briefly auditioned bronze and they sounded good
KEF (Q/R) - I own a pair of KEF R300, I don't find them lacking in a listening area slight smaller than yours

As for AVRs, Marantz has a decent line up. Check Yamaha and Pioneer/Onkyo too. This unit is all about features you will need and really use.

I would suggest, nail down speakers first then match the AVR. Speakers stay with you longer than electronics. But as per your convenience, no harm in going about it together or in reverse order (AVR first, speakers next).

Cheers,
Raghu

Thank you Guys!

After all your advice/suggestions I am planning to go for HT setup (AVR + 5.1 BS).

As per the internet and my study, I am interested in below mentioned AVR's only:

1. Marantz
2. NOD

Please suggest AVR (from above) + BS Speaker (5.1 set up) suitable for my Room size. I will take demo as per the combination.

I can put Rs. 50k to AVR and 1 lac to Speakers.
I don't need Dolby Atmos. Just I need Good system so I can enjoy as a Theatre! Your suggestions are most welcome please!

Pradeep - I've got the dali zensor 7s recently paired with a denon 3100. I chose the speakers first over an extended decision making period of over 3 months, and made the decision only after listening to my options over and over again. Heard the following - Polk rtia5/7, dali zensor 5/7, elac debut floorstanders, kef q700, q acoustics 2050/3050, b&w 683 s2(superb but out of budget), monitor audio bronze(new & old) & MR series, mission MX fs, pure acoustics rb6, cabasse jersey. Settled for the zensor 7, Polk rtia7 was a close second considering the 50-50 music-movies usage and the price range. Found the q acoustics 2050/3050 extremely overrated never mind the price. Monitor audios are fantastic in their higher ranges(eg the gold GS series, some of the silvers etc, having lived in a joint family over the years which had a MA GS60 based HT system) however prices have risen steeply for these and the current bronze series seemed overpriced considering better performing ones lower down the price range. My final choices were purely based on my own listening and I would strongly suggest u rely on your own repeated auditions of your options and not purely on reviews as this is something that's dependent on individual tastes.
The whole process of selection itself would definitely be an enriching and enjoyable one, irrespective of how long it goes on for.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back