floor standing speakers speakers

balakrishna

how good are LEGACY classic hd floorstanding speakers ? also how good are PROAC studio 140 floorstanding speakers ? what is the difference in sound quality between front port back port and floor port ?

Hi Balakrishna,
Its difficult to answer to 'how good' is a speaker. It may be brilliant to me and very ordinary for you.
Have not heard the legacy but the pro ac is very good to me. I hear it with a Primare combo at a friends( he bought it as it was 'highly rated & reviewed) and it sounds good.
Vented(i.e bass reflex/ported) or sealed are different designs chosen by manufacturers. All can sound good if designed well and can sound lousy too. A port enhances bass output and can make a smaller enclosure(read speaker) sound bigger. A rear ported speaker needs space at the rear and will should not be stuck to a wall.
Rgds

If you are looking at proac, I suggest you ignore the studio and look at the Response 1sc. Its a far far better speaker.

Hey ROC the Res 1SC is a bookshelf, while Mr Balakrishna wants a floor stander.

Well I'm not sure about the floorstander fetish :p. Unless the thread creator has a very large room, a good bookshelf will do just fine. To be honest there are better choices than studio 140 out there for the price one pays.

Balakrishna since you are in bangalore, why don't you give the Usher speakers a listen? No harm in that right? The new Mini Dancer 1 is out and at just a bit more than the price of the studio 140, you'd get sound that probably compares or even beats the response floorstanders.

Hi,
Am all for a bookshelf too but the fact that it can be a lttle underwhelming in large rooms remains. Perhaps Mr Bala has a huge music room/living room?
Frankly i dont even know the pricing of the Pro Acs and there is no bombay dealer.

ROC I know u own and love the ushers but Shridhar just does not want anyone from bombay to hear them!!!!! Hence have never suggested it as an option as i have never seen/heard one.
Rgds

Hi,
Am all for a bookshelf too but the fact that it can be a lttle underwhelming in large rooms remains. Perhaps Mr Bala has a huge music room/living room?
Frankly i dont even know the pricing of the Pro Acs and there is no bombay dealer.

ROC I know u own and love the ushers but Shridhar just does not want anyone from bombay to hear them!!!!! Hence have never suggested it as an option as i have never seen/heard one.
Rgds

Heheh balakrishna's location says bangalore so I suggested Usher. Anyway you can audition the Be-718 at either cranky's or surreallistix's place. The latter is better setup by now I guess since he's had the speakers for a while. I guess a friendly message to either of them will get you an audition :).

hi dinyaar,
the main reason i am looking for floorstanders is their low frequency response. i have not come across standmounters going down to 30hz or below. i am not inclined towards subwoofers as i will have to use two of them [ L & R channel] for stereo listening & i will find it time consuming to equalise volumes of L&R subs & getting the balance between main speakers & subs right. actually i have found stand mounts better sounding and more agile than floorstanders in the same price bracket. that is the reason i am looking for floor standers thrice the price of my present standmounts.

Hi Balkrishna,
Fair enough. We all have our preferences.
What is the amplifier that u are going to drive these with?
How large is the room?
What type of music do u listen to?

I too wont like to use a sub to augment the bass in a stereo set up.
Rgds

Hi
The Usher Be-718 with a good stand will give you plenty of bass. While I might be biased in this regard, other owners - Cranky, ROC, surrealstix and others can chime in here. Ofcourse this also depends on the size of your room. If you want the last bit of bottom end, then I can recommend the Mini-Dancer 1 from Usheraudio and if you crave for even more you can get the Emerald Physics CS1 - I can safely say the last word in bass from a FS at anywhere even remotely at this price range. You probably wont/cant use a sub :) Both can be demoed in our showroom in Fraser town, coles road.

Dinyaar
:) I wish it were different but as ROC mentioned, you can still hear it there if you wish. Perhaps I will have better news in a month or two, but for now I would suggest you listen to it in either of the Bombay owners places.

cheers
[email protected]

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back