Floor standing speakers + stereo amp for techno house music

bhatia.manan

Hi Everyone!
I current have the following setup
  • A pair of bookshelf speakers (Rave Acoustics)
  • Marantz NR1509 A/V Receiver
  • Yamaha YST-SW90 Sub-Woofer
I listen mostly to house and techno music and sometimes RnB, hip hop etc.
I would like to upgrade to floor-standers and a stereo amp.
I would also like to upgrade/add a new subwoofer but would probably do that at a later stage.

What would be the most suitable speakers and amp for this kind of music specifically?
Sound quality is of prime importance to me.
My budget is approx. 2-3 Lakhs.

I am new to this forum and any suggestions would be really appreciated.

Last edited:
I listen mostly to house and techno music and sometimes RnB, hip hop etc.
I would like to upgrade to floor-standers and a stereo amp.
I would also like to upgrade/add a new subwoofer but would probably do that at a later stage.

Considering your specific requirement, I can think of the following.

Triangle Borea BR08 - I have heard these briefly and they pack a punch!

Marantz PM700N - If you need a streamer functionality

Cambridge Audio CXA81 - If you need a livelier/edgier performer

Whatever amplifier you buy, make sure it has a Pre-out / Subwoofer out

You can also keep the Dali Opticon 5 as an option, But I have no experience with these.

All the best, & Cheers!

Thanks @aeroash , any idea where I would be able to audition the Triangle Borea BR08?

Also, I did already audition Dali Opticon 6 and found them to be quite amazing.
I have also heard Wharfdele Evo 4.4 but somehow was quite unimpressed by them.

Therefore, I would like to explore and audition more options, to get a fair comparison.

I have heard a pair of Opticon 5s briefly and they were a very enjoyable listen. From my brief impressions, they had nice bass heft and a sparkling top end. However, i never got an opportunity to try it with techno.
The Evos lack the dynamism i.e. bass punch and slam, required for techno. The top end is rather benign compared to the Opticon but this is rather apt for classical music, not having any characteristic tone or timbre per se which translates into wonderful reproduction of classical instruments where for many a listener, accuracy is paramount.
Therefore, I would like to explore and audition more options, to get a fair comparison.
Do try and audition the Klipsch RP8000F. Though you will find many a naysayer, they could be up right your ally considering the brief.

Thanks @aeroash , any idea where I would be able to audition the Triangle Borea BR08?

FX Entertainment in Delhi seems to be the distributor for triangle. You could call them and find out who the dealer is.

Leave out the EVO. Short list a few “lively” and “energetic” speakers in your budget from online reviews. These sound characteristics would be more suitable to your music needs. Once you have a few options at hand find out which stores in Delhi carry them, auditioning will be efficient this way.

No one mentions Klipsch???

In my experience Heritage line sets the stage in your house. Own a pair of Heresy IIIs and a DIY SE Valve amp. They bring down the house.
+1. These would be head and shoulders better than all the speakers /amps suggested here.

Sir, this is akin to a well mannered, distinguished, unpretentious gentleman bringing down the house!
They say Wolf in sheepskin.... my Heresys are in lambswool (grill), looks plain and dated with real walnut veneer (though it is from 2016 Special Edition) but mated to the 8Wpc amp easily 90dBC 3.5m away on my sofa (amp at 12o' clock and DAC at 16% volume) ;);)
Being sealed, it is fast and tight bass. No issues placing close to wall.

I have heard a pair of Opticon 5s briefly and they were a very enjoyable listen. From my brief impressions, they had nice bass heft and a sparkling top end. However, i never got an opportunity to try it with techno.

The Evos lack the dynamism i.e. bass punch and slam, required for techno. The top end is rather benign compared to the Opticon but this is rather apt for classical music, not having any characteristic tone or timbre per se which translates into wonderful reproduction of classical instruments where for many a listener, accuracy is paramount.

Do try and audition the Klipsch RP8000F. Though you will find many a naysayer, they could be up right your ally considering the brief.
I have heard from many people that Klipsch are too bright/shrill/in your face. Hence never tried to audition them.
But now, will definitely do! Thanks for the response.

FX Entertainment in Delhi seems to be the distributor for triangle. You could call them and find out who the dealer is.

Leave out the EVO. Short list a few “lively” and “energetic” speakers in your budget from online reviews. These sound characteristics would be more suitable to your music needs. Once you have a few options at hand find out which stores in Delhi carry them, auditioning will be efficient this way.
Thanks, I will call them and try to get a demo if possible.
Some other options in similar price range which might be available for demo near me are Piega Classic and Linn Magik.

No one mentions Klipsch???

In my experience Heritage line sets the stage in your house. Own a pair of Heresy IIIs and a DIY SE Valve amp. They bring down the house.
Thanks for the suggestion. Not sure if they are available in India. At least can't find them retailing anywhere online.
Although I read in one of the forums that they are price around 4-5 Lacs, which is way above my budget as of now.

Thanks for the suggestion. Not sure if they are available in India. At least can't find them retailing anywhere online.
Although I read in one of the forums that they are price around 4-5 Lacs, which is way above my budget as of now.
Yes,Heritage are expensive being hand built in USA and the fit and finish. Mine came to around INR 2 lac at present exchange rate. Heresy IV is being sold at nearly 3 lac in Dubai now. H-IV is ported, so it goes deeper but not sure if it kept the same dynamics. Next up is Forte with a passive radiator at the back.

There must be some used selling there.

Their Reference series are equally good albeit with smaller woofers and two way. They are cheaper.

There must be someone selling them in India. Jamo dealers probably?

I have heard from many people that Klipsch are too bright/shrill/in your face. Hence never tried to audition them.
Yes, they are very sensitive speakers due to horns. . Hence, a warm amp is recommended. Valve amps suit the best. I know people using Sonos Amp, Parasound, Crown, Onkyo without a hitch (FB Klipsch Group).

They don't need tons of Watts. My 8W pc amp sets it on fire.

Not at all since the reference premier line. Give the RP8000, or even the RP5000, a listen.
Will definitely be worth your time.

Many people would also say the same thing about EDM i suppose. :p

To my ears, the Evo series is clearly a superior speaker to the Klipch RP line in most aspects of SQ individually. However, there's a certain foot tapping quality to the latter (again, to my ears) which the Evo simply doesn't evoke.

Many people would also say the same thing about EDM i suppose. :p

To my ears, the Evo series is clearly a superior speaker to the Klipch RP line in most aspects of SQ individually. However, there's a certain foot tapping quality to the latter (again, to my ears) which the Evo simply doesn't evoke.
+1 they are so alive even when the hip hop beats drop...

Not at all since the reference premier line. Give the RP8000, or even the RP5000, a listen.
Will definitely be worth your time.
The horn material has been improved to silicone. I have read that in older Klipsches with metal horns people used rope caulk or Dynamat to dampen them.

I purchased my Heresy online without listening to them. It was a daring plunge (Dirhams 10k) as Klipsch dealer had folded up in Abu Dhabi (and Dubai when I purchased them). It was a risk worth it. Had auditioned KEF Q & R series and some others but definitely no regrets for the blind (rather deaf ;);)) buy.

Made a couple of videos then for people like me who have no chance to taste Heresy. Made with a mobile (Lumia 950), use a headphone to listen

Last edited:
Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back