Floorstanders to go with Rega Brio R

Audio Planet in Bangalore do import Triangle, but not sure on how to even take the talk further with them. I have called them thrice till date and received the same initial reply that "we do consultation only for budgets above 1.5L", fourth time I had the budget but i decided to skip.
I agree. I did visit their showroom once and found them less than welcoming. Perhaps I did not look and act like a snob.

My listening area is in the living room which flows into the dining space and further to the kitchen etc.. However, the listening area is approx 16 feet x 20 feet. Thank you for your suggestions.

I mainly listen to Blues, Classic Rock, and country music.
320 sq feet is not too big and you should be OK with most of the recommended speakers

I may sound repetitive across my posts but do check out Indiqaudio if you are based in bangalore. Acoustic portrait has a bookshelf in that budget, though the requirement is for floorstander, do visit them as they are wonderful hosts and you would enjoy your time even if you don't end up buying anything. Given you had sonodyne before, see if you can audition Avant T1. Met someone couple of years back who went gaga over them but I did not get a chance to audition personally.
Lastly, couple of budget dayton floorstanders are available on diyaudiocart along with CBT24. The CBT24 is personally on my wishlist but it costs 1.5L and would need a sub as well.

Yeah. Me too thought i might sound repetitive so kept quite. IndiqAudio is worth the try. Even if you don’t buy them it’s worth your time to audition. They have a very good sound signature and people who own the brand are quite passionate about the product they have in offer.
I recently hooked up the tube pre amp that was available for sampling to the PA and the speakers, it sounded even better than it did so I am now more inclined to go in for a tube pre.
They sound very a good with most amps and AVR’s but if you are adding an excellent IA or a pre it can actually sound much much better. It’s got a lot of potential and does not need a powerful amp but yes a clean amp can do a wonderful job.

I may sound repetitive across my posts but do check out Indiqaudio if you are based in bangalore. Acoustic portrait has a bookshelf in that budget, though the requirement is for floorstander, do visit them as they are wonderful hosts and you would enjoy your time even if you don't end up buying anything. Given you had sonodyne before, see if you can audition Avant T1. Met someone couple of years back who went gaga over them but I did not get a chance to audition personally.
Lastly, couple of budget dayton floorstanders are available on diyaudiocart along with CBT24. The CBT24 is personally on my wishlist but it costs 1.5L and would need a sub as well.
Thanks, I don't live in Bangalore, but do visit a few times a year. Waiting for the pandemic situation to calm down a bit.

Thank you @fLUX and @Prodigy for your valuable inputs.

Yeah. Me too thought i might sound repetitive so kept quite. IndiqAudio is worth the try. Even if you don’t buy them it’s worth your time to audition. They have a very good sound signature and people who own the brand are quite passionate about the product they have in offer.
I recently hooked up the tube pre amp that was available for sampling to the PA and the speakers, it sounded even better than it did so I am now more inclined to go in for a tube pre.
They sound very a good with most amps and AVR’s but if you are adding an excellent IA or a pre it can actually sound much much better. It’s got a lot of potential and does not need a powerful amp but yes a clean amp can do a wonderful job.
I second this. Tried my tiny 20wpc * 8ohm Vista Audio Spark amp with IndiqAudio Platinum and Gold Achal speakers. Can drive those since they are quite sensitive. Sounded extremely nice to my dud ears - nice enough to order. Wouldn't be worried about Rega's ability to drive these.

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2020-10-10 at 8.45.40 PM (1).jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2020-10-10 at 8.45.40 PM (1).jpeg
    70.5 KB · Views: 56
  • WhatsApp Image 2020-10-10 at 8.45.40 PM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2020-10-10 at 8.45.40 PM.jpeg
    68.2 KB · Views: 57
I second this. Tried my tiny 20wpc * 8ohm Vista Audio Spark amp with IndiqAudio Platinum and Gold Achal speakers. Can drive those since they are quite sensitive. Sounded extremely nice to my dud ears - nice enough to order. Wouldn't be worried about Rega's ability to drive these.
Thanks for your valuable inputs. Can you please tell me what kind of music you tried the speakers with? I have been told they emphasize the mids, which is something I like as well.

@John You can try listening to the clip posted by Prodigy on your headphones. Not really the best way but something is better than nothing :)

Audio Planet in Bangalore do import Triangle, but not sure on how to even take the talk further with them. I have called them thrice till date and received the same initial reply that "we do consultation only for budgets above 1.5L", fourth time I had the budget but i decided to skip.

When they say " consultation " what does that mean ? What services comprise of a consultation ? Are we confusing it with audition ?

Why focused on floor standers? I listened to Polk Legends L200 yesterday and KEF R3 - for stereo those bookshelves are complete, punchy with great imaging and staging. Can fill a large room and have details which are through out the spectrum band. For busy music, L200 are great. For ghazals and vocal heavy music, you might prefer an eq to take care of mid range. Rock n roll was good, A R Rahman's Dil Se was out of the world. See if you get to audition them - R3 is over budget, you might get some pre-owned set. L200 might come within budget

Not really, if you check their website also it mentions "Audio Consulting". This is what i was specifically told
- We dont do auditioning, we do more of audio consulting. You need to take a prior appointment for this session, during the session all discussions regarding your room layout/speaker positioning will happen to get an idea about your listening space, accordingly there will be recommendations & demo auditions accordingly of different speakers.

Typically it will be a long 2+ hours session from what I understand. I believe this approach was always the case based on his online reviews but the receptiveness towards budget systems was more in the past.

Why focused on floor standers? I listened to Polk Legends L200 yesterday and KEF R3 - for stereo those bookshelves are complete, punchy with great imaging and staging. Can fill a large room and have details which are through out the spectrum band. For busy music, L200 are great. For ghazals and vocal heavy music, you might prefer an eq to take care of mid range. Rock n roll was good, A R Rahman's Dil Se was out of the world. See if you get to audition them - R3 is over budget, you might get some pre-owned set. L200 might come within budget

The KEF's rendition of Dil Se was out of the world on both Q950/R3 :)

Well, I won't say I am focused , or rather fixated on them. If you read the thread, I have been considering the Wharfdale Linton as a possible buy. I have been trying them with a pair of Polk RTI 4s which I also owe, and they do sound decent, I must say.

Last edited:
I know, 50W is puny, but it drives the Sonus very well in the large room, which is already 89db. Plus I barely go over the 9 o'clock position.
Hi John :)

As a fellow user of the concept 40's I also second that idea. Most retail audio shops in the UK, offer the brio with the concept 40's as a combo. And they wouldn't do it if there wasn't a enjoyable synergy between the two.

Coming to the power, when I started out many years ago, I was driving the concept 40's with a 25w into 8 ohms blue sound power node to deafening volume levels in my large 11x27 ft living room. So the concept 40's apart from being effeceint at 90db sensitivity, are also a very benign load without any nasty impedence dips.

So let not the power factor worry you. All you have to sort out is a listen to them. And see if their presentation is suitable for your tastes. All the best :)

Last edited:
You did the right thing. These snoby dealers don't remeber that we all have to start somewhere.

I would not suggest KEF R series or Polk Legend with Rega Brio-R.
Have heard Brio with R300, the speakers want a bit more to sing.
Polk L200 is an 85dB, 3-4 ohm speaker, and Brio will be stressed.

As @newlash09 says get a FS with 89-91dB easy to drive speaker.
Most monitors will be 85-88dB. The 3dB advantage due to larger cabinet helps SPL wise.

Cheers,
Raghu

I would not suggest KEF R series or Polk Legend with Rega Brio-R.
Have heard Brio with R300, the speakers want a bit more to sing.
Polk L200 is an 85dB, 3-4 ohm speaker, and Brio will be stressed.

As @newlash09 says get a FS with 89-91dB easy to drive speaker.
Most monitors will be 85-88dB. The 3dB advantage due to larger cabinet helps SPL wise.

Cheers,
Raghu
Thanks a lot Raghu!

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back