Floorstanders to go with Rega Brio R

John

Hi guys,

Looking for recommendations for floorstanders to go with Rega Brio R for a large room. I am currently using an old pair of Sonodyne Sonus 2605 which I got from someone, and it surprisingly sounds quite good once the amp is warmed up a bit. In fact, I tried the Brio with a pair of Polk RTI A5s (which I also own) and they sounded very muddy.

I am looking for a budget from anywhere between 40-80K or so.

I am also looking to go the Vinyl route in the future. Currently using Kodi/Spotify>Modi Schitt 2 DAC>Rega Brio> Sonus

Thanks in advance.

Hi John,

If budget is strictly 80k you can have a look at QAcoustics 3050i and Elac Debut F6.2 . The Elacs are little difficult to drive so not sure if the Rega Brio will cut it

I would advise to stretch the budget to 1l as that will allow you to consider below options as well
i) Kef Q550
ii) QAcoustics Concept 40
iii) XTZ Spirit 11
iv) XTZ 95.44

Personally i would either go for the Concept 40/XTZ Spirit 11. I have the smaller cousins of the Concept 40, the Concept 20 and they are very detailed for their price. The XTZ Spirit 11 is less reviewed but does pack a punch well above its price point , has a very neutral signature with slight mid emphasis and does well for most of the genres (maybe not for hard rock/metal , but i dont listen to these) and 95.44 is a brighter version of the same. If demoing is not an option, then Concept 40/3050i might be the safest overall bet.

Hi John,

If budget is strictly 80k you can have a look at QAcoustics 3050i and Elac Debut F6.2 . The Elacs are little difficult to drive so not sure if the Rega Brio will cut it

I would advise to stretch the budget to 1l as that will allow you to consider below options as well
i) Kef Q550
ii) QAcoustics Concept 40
iii) XTZ Spirit 11
iv) XTZ 95.44

Personally i would either go for the Concept 40/XTZ Spirit 11. I have the smaller cousins of the Concept 40, the Concept 20 and they are very detailed for their price. The XTZ Spirit 11 is less reviewed but does pack a punch well above its price point , has a very neutral signature with slight mid emphasis and does well for most of the genres (maybe not for hard rock/metal , but i dont listen to these) and 95.44 is a brighter version of the same. If demoing is not an option, then Concept 40/3050i might be the safest overall bet.
Thanks a ton for your detailed reply. Yes, I might have to go up to 1 lac. I will definitely look at the speakers you have mentioned. At 1 lac, how is the Rega RX3? I see them going for 99k on hifimart.

Thanks a ton for your detailed reply. Yes, I might have to go up to 1 lac. I will definitely look at the speakers you have mentioned. At 1 lac, how is the Rega RX3? I see them going for 99k on hifimart.

I have seen people suggesting it on the forum and supposed to have good synergy with the Rega Brio but have never auditioned or read much about the same hence i have not put it on my list.

I doubt if the 50W Brio is intended for use in a large room driving floorstanders.

Sorry for being a spoil sport but it's better you consider this in your purchase decisions..

I doubt if the 50W Brio is intended for use in a large room driving floorstanders.

Sorry for being a spoil sport but it's better you consider this in your purchase decisions..
I know, 50W is puny, but it drives the Sonus very well in the large room, which is already 89db. Plus I barely go over the 9 o'clock position.

Of course...we defer to what works for the user.

Please check out 8 ohm speakers only and try not to buy 4 ohm speakers or below as they will draw more current from the amplifier at Lower Freq.

There is only so much Horse Power in a 50W amp.

Nothing like a home audition for a few hours straight run alreast...to check if the amp runs hot.

Good luck !

@John I had been using a 45 WPC PM6006 in the past and just recently moved to a Class D crown power amplifier to drive my Emit M20. While Marantz in no way made it sound average and i felt it was optimum, on trying it with the the Crown power amplifier the speakers have opened up quiet a bit especially in terms of the lows and the soundstage.

I dont think you should worry about it now, but its something you should invest in going ahead as it will help you get the best out of your Floor Standers.

I've got the Rega Brio driving a pair of Triangle Elara LN 07s in a room about 20x14 feet and it sounds fantastic. I rarely ever go beyond 9 o' clock on the volume dial - gets too loud!
I love this amp
Thanks Jayant_S
I have heard the combo earlier, and it sounds good. Any online sellers for this ?

Thanks Jayant_S
I have heard the combo earlier, and it sounds good. Any online sellers for this ?
unlikely you’ll find Triangle sold online in India - but I may be wrong given that I bought my speakers 3 years ago from a dealer in Bangalore

unlikely you’ll find Triangle sold online in India - but I may be wrong given that I bought my speakers 3 years ago from a dealer in Bangalore

Audio Planet in Bangalore do import Triangle, but not sure on how to even take the talk further with them. I have called them thrice till date and received the same initial reply that "we do consultation only for budgets above 1.5L", fourth time I had the budget but i decided to skip.

Don't be too much concerned about the power ratings of the amp. 50wpc should drive most of the floorstanders unless the impedance drops less than 4 ohms at certain frequencies. Floorstanders typically are efficient and have reasonable sensitivity figures.

Audio Planet in Bangalore do import Triangle, but not sure on how to even take the talk further with them. I have called them thrice till date and received the same initial reply that "we do consultation only for budgets above 1.5L", fourth time I had the budget but i decided to skip.
Sorry to hear about your experience with Audio Planet! My interactions with them have usually been peaceful

Sorry to hear about your experience with Audio Planet! My interactions with them have usually been peaceful

I had heard really good things and also their google reviews are top notch, seems to be more of a business strategy shift this year as I see people having bought setups of about 50-60k also in the past.

I have consulted hifimart/anil for purchases as low as 6K and they've/he's always obliged.

Too bad for them. They lost a valuable customer & someone gained one. No one is indispensable.

Hi guys,

Looking for recommendations for floorstanders to go with Rega Brio R for a large room. I am currently using an old pair of Sonodyne Sonus 2605 which I got from someone, and it surprisingly sounds quite good once the amp is warmed up a bit. In fact, I tried the Brio with a pair of Polk RTI A5s (which I also own) and they sounded very muddy.

I am looking for a budget from anywhere between 40-80K or so.

I am also looking to go the Vinyl route in the future. Currently using Kodi/Spotify>Modi Schitt 2 DAC>Rega Brio> Sonus

Thanks in advance.

Whats the size of your room and Additionally does it have open walls into other rooms ?

For most speakers and rooms 50W is more than enough . Do pay attention to the sensitivity and anything over 90dB and as long as the impedance does not drop below 4 , you should be fine..

Fyne Audio, Epos, Monitor audio are 3 brands which should work depending on what you want to hear. You tube with good headphones is a fairly good way of knowing if it works !
Up your budget and get a Rega RX3 which will take care of any doubts on synergy as well.

Whats the size of your room and Additionally does it have open walls into other rooms ?

For most speakers and rooms 50W is more than enough . Do pay attention to the sensitivity and anything over 90dB and as long as the impedance does not drop below 4 , you should be fine..

Fyne Audio, Epos, Monitor audio are 3 brands which should work depending on what you want to hear. You tube with good headphones is a fairly good way of knowing if it works !
Up your budget and get a Rega RX3 which will take care of any doubts on synergy as we

My listening area is in the living room which flows into the dining space and further to the kitchen etc.. However, the listening area is approx 16 feet x 20 feet. Thank you for your suggestions.

I mainly listen to Blues, Classic Rock, and country music.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back