Floorstanders without Sub vs. Bookshelves with Sub?

Thanks. Reg. BIC, I see that they have F12 for 40k - Is that the one you're referring to? Will keep an eye out in the Classifieds section.
In BIC, the PL200i would be the best. I see now that they have increased prices. But, with discounts, it might come down somewhat.
I think Elac Debut subwoofers are also well regarded.
Being in Banagalore, you have many options for demo.

It doesn't matter which speakers you get and what their low end extension is. Movies demand a subwoofer. No speaker can generate the bass like a subwoofer can. If you have the floor space get a tower else get a bookshelf + stands. Pick a good sub and you'll enjoy your movies even more.

MaSh

A sub is a sub is a sub and no such thing as enough subs. Maybe a touch above your budget, but do consider the Dali E12F sub. It's mighty good. Another brand to consider maybe within your budget would be Emotiva Subs, but others who've had experience can share their views.

Get floorstanders first & later on buy a Sub. You can also get away with stand mounts as your room is not big.

Cheers.

is it still wise to go for the floorstanders
I would still say YES to FS.
For HT use, sub is must. Assuming that you will anyway invest in the sub, going for the floorstanders now is definitely the right move for HT.

If you plan not to buy a subwoofer if investing in floorstanders, then get a bookshelf and sub. Otherwise, FS + 1 or 2 Subs is a better choice for movies.

Which sub do you have ?
I have a REL T5i, I listen to music 100% and REL does the job.

Agree FS with sub will blend much better but if budget constraints BS + sub way to go.
Absolutely!
The question for OP is the budget he's currently willing to invest. If there are future upgrades in mind, its worthwhile to invest as much on FS and buy sub later.

To add to the confusion, I shall reiterate bookshelves and subwoofer. If you have budget constraints, do not go for floor standers. Also as most fm's have opined, subwoofers are absolutely a must for the slam, and rumble you have in movie tracks. Also if your room isn't big enough, skip the centre speaker as you get a very good centre image from left/ right speakers.

I would still say YES to FS.
For HT use, sub is must. Assuming that you will anyway invest in the sub, going for the floorstanders now is definitely the right move for HT.

If you plan not to buy a subwoofer if investing in floorstanders, then get a bookshelf and sub. Otherwise, FS + 1 or 2 Subs is a better choice for movies.
Thanks, Robin. I'm veering towards the bookshelves + sub given my budget constraints.

Thanks a ton for all the suggestions everyone. Without your inputs, I'd be lost.
I'm going with bookshelves + sub at the moment. Will see if I can floorstanders in the future.
So which sub you've decided? Go for 12inch designs, Polk HTS12/BIC PL200/Taga TSW 200 are some nice performing budget options.

To add to the confusion, I shall reiterate bookshelves and subwoofer. If you have budget constraints, do not go for floor standers. Also as most fm's have opined, subwoofers are absolutely a must for the slam, and rumble you have in movie tracks. Also if your room isn't big enough, skip the centre speaker as you get a very good centre image from left/ right speakers.
Phantom image is created however we get a dip at around 2khz with stereo setups( signal reaching our brain).. That's why a center channel is needed.

It doesn't matter which speakers you get and what their low end extension is. Movies demand a subwoofer. No speaker can generate the bass like a subwoofer can. If you have the floor space get a tower else get a bookshelf + stands. Pick a good sub and you'll enjoy your movies even more.

MaSh
I agree to this as long as the sub matches the quality of the bookshelves or floor standers. My floorstanders (Goes upto 35 hz/ +/-6db)destroy my entry level 12 inch pioneer sub in terms of bass clarity and timing . It has adequate bass and dynamics for movies and the sub was bought when I had bookshelves. Though the sub can shake the floor, it’s boomy, non coherent, sluggish and screws up everything when turned on.

but I can imagine having a better sub and getting a better experience. But that quality bass comes at a cost.in my opinion,buying a cheap sub is never a good idea.

My floorstanders (Goes upto 35 hz/ +/-6db)destroy my entry level 12 inch pioneer sub in terms of bass clarity and timing . It has adequate bass and dynamics for movies and the sub was bought when I had bookshelves. Though the sub can shake the floor, it’s boomy, non coherent, sluggish and screws up everything when turned on.
And may I ask which sub and floor standers are they?

And may I ask which sub and floor standers are they?
Floor standers(ALR Jordan number 4) . Subwoofer entry level cheapo pioneer 12 inch srs 3w. ( that’s a disgusting sub, which I bought without listening ) there is loads of bass, I don’t want to call that bass even, may be bloat ! Then I had a energy 10 inch version which was rated 5 stars by many magazines. But both were not on paar eight the floorstanders stock woofers in terms of resolution, and tightness.

For example the track mountains (interstellar) has a very nice Grainy like rumble of the pipe organ In very low notes around 2.11 and on the cheap sub, it’s a smooth boom. But on floor standers it’s very easy to hear that detail even in that low notes. I disconnected the binding posts to see if the high frequency harm panics was helping me hear that rumble clearly. But no, it’s easily audible with the subwoofer” part of the floor standers. But again, it’s not a fair comparison, as though the speakers are old, they belonged to a totally different price tier compared to the subs I was trying to match with it.
I have listened to good subs from svs , Martin Logan , nubert , music electronic geithain and so on. So, I have an insight on how a good subcan sound.

Last edited:
Centre and sub are the most important components in a HT sound system. Better save up and invest in both. Good sub is what makes a major difference in movie watching experience. Buy a good quality sub like the svs, rythmik brands depending upon what you can spend.

I agree to this as long as the sub matches the quality of the bookshelves or floor standers. My floorstanders (Goes upto 35 hz/ +/-6db)destroy my entry level 12 inch pioneer sub in terms of bass clarity and timing . It has adequate bass and dynamics for movies and the sub was bought when I had bookshelves. Though the sub can shake the floor, it’s boomy, non coherent, sluggish and screws up everything when turned on.

but I can imagine having a better sub and getting a better experience. But that quality bass comes at a cost.in my opinion,buying a cheap sub is never a good idea.
Well that's what one pays for, the quality. One cannot compare an svs sub for example with one from say onkyo, yamaha or pioneer. Rythmic, Rel, etc yes might be at par in quality and also price.

MaSh

So which sub you've decided? Go for 12inch designs, Polk HTS12/BIC PL200/Taga TSW 200 are some nice performing budget options.
Hi Robin.. yes, I'm looking at the BIC PL200 and Taga TSW 200. For my room size of 15*15ft, I hope the 12" might not be an overkill?
Will have to finalise one soon.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back