Focal JM Lab-Profile 908 Bookshelf Speaker

AMITNOIDA

I have got offer for an used pair of Focal JM Lab-Profile 908 bookshelf speakers. From the net I have got the following spec.

Type: 2-way bass-reflex bookshelf speaker
Drivers: 6 1/2" "W" mid-bass. 1" Al/Mg inverted dome tweeter
Frequency response (+or-3dB): 50Hz - 30.5kHz
Low frequency point: 45Hz
Sensitivity: 89dB
Nominal impedance: 8 Ohms
Minimum impedance: 3.7 Ohms
Crossover frequency: 2,600Hz
Recommended power amplifier: 25 - 150W
Dimensions (HxWxD): 15 3/8" x 9" x 10 7/8"

Can anybody tell about its performance/sound. If I purchase it, I will use it with Lyrita 6C33C 15W /channel valve amp. Any idea, how the speaker will perform pairing with valve amp?

JM Lab is Focal's flagship range. I am not too sure how weell it wil sound with low power amp(15wpc), but it definitely should sound good with an amp that is suited to it's sensitivity. I would guess upwards of 30 wpc-but that's only my opinion.

I use Focal kevlar mids ( not JM Lab series) in one of my speakers and I like them, but the system has 94dB sensitivity and I use a 9wpc Class A valve amp.
I possible do an audition before buying.

George

I have got offer for an used pair of Focal JM Lab-Profile 908 bookshelf speakers. From the net I have got the following spec.

Type: 2-way bass-reflex bookshelf speaker
Drivers: 6 1/2" "W" mid-bass. 1" Al/Mg inverted dome tweeter
Frequency response (+or-3dB): 50Hz - 30.5kHz
Low frequency point: 45Hz
Sensitivity: 89dB
Nominal impedance: 8 Ohms
Minimum impedance: 3.7 Ohms
Crossover frequency: 2,600Hz
Recommended power amplifier: 25 - 150W
Dimensions (HxWxD): 15 3/8" x 9" x 10 7/8"

Can anybody tell about its performance/sound. If I purchase it, I will use it with Lyrita 6C33C 15W /channel valve amp. Any idea, how the speaker will perform pairing with valve amp?

Well IMHO anything Focal is the best. I've been blown away by them ever since I heard a pair in a friend's house of course costing quite a few lacs though but truly the highest-end that I've personally heard.

Then again YMMV. I've a friend who swears by anything Bryston while there are others who don't.

Well IMHO anything Focal is the best. I've been blown away by them ever since I heard a pair in a friend's house of course costing quite a few lacs though but truly the highest-end that I've personally heard.

Then again YMMV. I've a friend who swears by anything Bryston while there are others who don't.

Can you remember the Speaker series (utopia, electra, profile, chorus) and the amp used in your friends house?
Thanx

Can you remember the Speaker series (utopia, electra, profile, chorus) and the amp used in your friends house?
Thanx

Of course yes, Utopia series costing about Rs. 15 lacs and the amp was a Bryston. It was truly music nirvana and nothing I've ever heard before or since that sounded even remotely close to it, and mind you I've heard quite a few high-end setups but nothing like this.

Hello Amit,

I haven't listened to this specific model, but have listened to some of their earlier range. I would expect the general characteristics to be similar.

I find their speakers to be balanced on the bright side, making them sound more like hi-fi than naturally musical. It's typical of the high-end sound, where enhanced detail is thrown at you.

At their price, I'd be wary till you personally audition them.

Regards,
Viren

Hello Amit,

I haven't listened to this specific model, but have listened to some of their earlier range. I would expect the general characteristics to be similar.

I find their speakers to be balanced on the bright side, making them sound more like hi-fi than naturally musical. It's typical of the high-end sound, where enhanced detail is thrown at you.

At their price, I'd be wary till you personally audition them.

Regards,
Viren

After putting this thread, I was also searching the net for getting reviews of this speaker. It is not for night time listening at lower volume, it shows its brilliance at moderately high volume and yes.. it is towards bright side.

Viren, why you are not guiding me and suggest few bookshelf speakers at moderate price range suitable for musical low volume listening which can be paired with your amp?

Or you can build a sigle driver bookshelf speaker for me. Venkatcr has once suggested me to request you for this.

Regards

Hi Amit,

Am working on a small bookshelf speaker using the Fostex 127E. Give me some time. I'll let you know when its ready for an audition.

regards,
Viren

Hi Amit,
I remember recommending BS instead of FS long back and there was a reason. The way most FS are designed, the midrange and bass drivers will be below your bed, and hence no direct sound would reach you.
However, Lyrita's harmony one's are pretty tall, and the only driver is placed exactly in the middle. So if that reason was your concern, I can say that it could be invalid in case of Lyrita FS. Even if you get BS, they would need good stands to shine, and footprint would be similar to an FS. A FS should be more stable - if toppling of speakers by chance is a concern for you. In my case it is a big concern as I have a small baby.

regards

Hi Amit,
I remember recommending BS instead of FS long back and there was a reason. The way most FS are designed, the midrange and bass drivers will be below your bed, and hence no direct sound would reach you.
However, Lyrita's harmony one's are pretty tall, and the only driver is placed exactly in the middle. So if that reason was your concern, I can say that it could be invalid in case of Lyrita FS. Even if you get BS, they would need good stands to shine, and footprint would be similar to an FS. A FS should be more stable - if toppling of speakers by chance is a concern for you. In my case it is a big concern as I have a small baby.

regards

Yes Anm. I remember your advise for BS. In fact it was my plan also (for my bed). Harmony1 is quite tall and it will obstruct the switchboards behind the speaker (my bad luck is there are switchboards in both the places of speaker position). So I will have to go for BS only. The footprint is not an issue but the height of the speaker is an issue.

Luckily, there is no small kid in my house and there is no chance of toppling of BS speakers from its stand.

I have to wait till Viren calls me for audition of BS speaker.

Which SS amps will be good partners with Focal JM Lab Profile 908? Plan to audition the above speaker (used) within 1-2 weeks at Bangalore.

No reply!
Freinds please suggest the SS amp for Focal JMLab Profile 908. The audition is only 10 days away.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back