For DIY HT Speaker set - MDF CNC router cutting place in or near Andheri

Kevano

Does anyone know of a place that does MDF CNC router cutting work and also stocks MDF in Andheri area ?

Since I don't need whole 4ft x8ft sheets, was hoping to find a place that stocks MDF so that I can use some cut pieces or atleast they sell half a sheet and also get the cutting and router work done at the same place.

Last edited:

I went to this place. They don't stock MDF. Aslo because the job is small compared to the high volume business they have they were quoting higher prices.

I went to this place. They don't stock MDF. Aslo because the job is small compared to the high volume business they have they were quoting higher prices.
How much high? For low volume you will always end up paying high due to setup cost.

How much high? For low volume you will always end up paying high due to setup cost.
Their prices were almost double. I understand for less volume the set up cost would be higher, but in the break up they gave me the MDF was priced higher than the market rate apart from the higher cutting n routing cost. So I'm looking for a place that has a decent amount of excess/waste pieces of MDF lying around and has reasonable rates for that MDF and cutting n routing.

On SV Road, Oshiwara, going North, before the old/used furniture shops start, there is a sign for CNC jobwork. If you cannot find it, ask one of the people inside the shops.

Goregaon, inside Ramchandra Lane off SV Road, to the right, there is a small industrial estate. There's a guy on the 1st floor that undertakes small CNC jobs.

For both, I have no clue if they stock MDF sheets. Sorry if this is not of much help.

On SV Road, Oshiwara, going North, before the old/used furniture shops start, there is a sign for CNC jobwork. If you cannot find it, ask one of the people inside the shops.

Goregaon, inside Ramchandra Lane off SV Road, to the right, there is a small industrial estate. There's a guy on the 1st floor that undertakes small CNC jobs.

For both, I have no clue if they stock MDF sheets. Sorry if this is not of much help.
Thanks Keith. Oshiwara is within cycling range, so that definitely helps. Will check this place out. Although the Goregoan guy sounds more promising. Any possibility of getting his contact no or do you have name of the industrial estate, I'll try to get the no ?

Last edited:
Thanks Keith. Oshiwara is within cycling range, so that definitely helps. Will check this place out. Although the Goregoan guy sounds more promising. Any possibility of getting his contact no or do you have name of the industrial estate, I'll try to get the no ?
Sorry, it is not Ramchandra Lane, it is Ram Mandir Road. I don't have their number nor the name of the industrial estate. The Oshiwara place and Goregaon place are very close by - you can do them both in one trip.
Off SV Road when you go further into Ram Mandir road there is a movie theatre to your right. Go on further and you will see this dilapidated [at least it was that way then] structure to your right. From what I remember it has just a couple of floors. That's the industrial estate.
Also, I spoke to a guy from whom I got some laser engraving done once and he says that on Ram Mandir Road there are multiple people who do CNC work - they have sign boards outside their facilities shouting out "CNC" so a trip along Ram Mandir Road is definitely warranted. He gave me one name "Om Chaitanya Laser" - look them up on the internet. Let us know how it goes.

Oh perfect. All this is very helpful Keith. Many thanks. Will definitely update so that that it helps others going doing this route.

What Keith is referring to: entry is next to a tabela on SV Road. But AFAIK they do only metal cutting with laser, not wood or MDF with CNC routers.

Wood working hobbyists who have the tools based in Mumbai

I have been following FM Sadik and have been impressed with his speaker building. I was also wondering if there are any wood working hobbyists who might like to spend a day doing some speaker building. I have been watching countless videos and am good with my hands. Also I'm very good at precision work and have done the math for the cutouts. So MDF cutting and router work to make circular cutouts to mount the driver and roundover edges is what I am looking at for this project. I haven't sourced the MDF yet so if you have you have any vendors that stock cut pieces of deal in half sheets that would be great.

What Keith is referring to: entry is next to a tabela on SV Road. But AFAIK they do only metal cutting with laser, not wood or MDF with CNC routers.
Appreciate this jls001. Since these places are close I'll do a quick scout. If it doesn't work I'll contact Debesh Biswas. Have you done any work with him and any idea if he would he be a able to source half a sheet of MDF at minimum.

Does indoor or outdoor MDF matter for speaker building ?

Also I the sqft rate for MDF varies from MDF shop to shop. Is there a particular brand or specification that I should be buying ?

This is for building 5.1 HT speakers. MDF thickness 18mm.

Does indoor or outdoor MDF matter for speaker building ?

Also I the sqft rate for MDF varies from MDF shop to shop. Is there a particular brand or specification that I should be buying ?

This is for building 5.1 HT speakers. MDF thickness 18mm.
Exterior grade is definitely denser and they claim that it is water resistant (relatively) which given our humidity should be better. That said, whichever grade you choose, make sure the surfaces on both sides are sealed with wood surface sealer. I think that you should go with whatever fits your budget.

Are Universal router bits of good quality?

Looking to buy chamfer, round over, flush trim and cutting bits.

Are Universal router bits of good quality?

Looking to buy chamfer, round over, flush trim and cutting bits.
Not heard of them. I was infact looking for router bits and nearly ended up buying the Chinese ones ( set of 12 ) to match the dongcheng trimmer, but ended up buying a Stanley which comes with bits. If you are just building one Set of speakers with MDF, then these bits should be good enough.
Btw, how did you get your panels cut ?

I'm building a 5.1 HT set and this is my first build. One more sub is in the pipe line and I'd like to pursue this hobby. After watching numerous speaker building videos I figured straight, flush trim, chamfer, rabbet and round over bits are the primarily that are required. So going for these at the moment.

Will be cnc router cutting the panels since I don't have place to cut a 8x4 MDF.

What model of the Stanley router did you get?

For 2-3 speaker builds per year what brand of router bits would be a reasonable buy?

Its a stanley SRR1200 plunge router, with variable speed , no soft start and no led work light. Comes with 6, 6.35 and 8 mm collets. I am in the same boat as you with the number of builds i may do. Starting with a sub and then a pair of towers. I am already having buyers remorse that the tools are over kill for the jobs i have at hand. Planning to switch to a laminate trimmer for saving space ease of handling.

Edit : I think you can get the bit set from Amazon for 1000 odd bucks. They should more than do the job. Just ensure correct collect size matching.

I am already having buyers remorse that the tools are over kill for the jobs i have at hand. Planning to switch to a laminate trimmer for saving space ease of handling.
What do you intend to do with the Stanley router?

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back