For Lovers of Mohd. Rafi

I had come across this site when searching for Binaca Geet Mala and what a treasure it is!
I was listening to 1935 Devdas songs and that too with video! Where would you find everything all the way from this, and earlier, to the latest on a single site, on a single page, so neatly organised. You can search by movie, singer, music director, lyricist, actor and year-wise. Even a couple of songs from Alam Ara.

Yes, all these are available, as far as I can see, on YouTube but the convenience of everything on one page is just phenomenal :clapping:.

Binaca Geet Mala is available as a 10 box set, 5 CDs to a box, on amazon.in temptingly at half price. Available also on rhythmhouse.in but no discount. Sorry, Prem, only on CD.

Ya Naturelover, thats what i liked about the site. He does not host mp3 files. Just links it to Youtube, so the original copyright holder gets the money. His income appears to be Google ads on his site. Everything legitimate and above law. Smart

I had come across this site when searching for Binaca Geet Mala and what a treasure it is!
I was listening to 1935 Devdas songs and that too with video! Where would you find everything all the way from this, and earlier, to the latest on a single site, on a single page, so neatly organised. You can search by movie, singer, music director, lyricist, actor and year-wise. Even a couple of songs from Alam Ara.

Yes, all these are available, as far as I can see, on YouTube but the convenience of everything on one page is just phenomenal :clapping:.

Binaca Geet Mala is available as a 10 box set, 5 CDs to a box, on amazon.in temptingly at half price. Available also on rhythmhouse.in but no discount. Sorry, Prem, only on CD.

Dear Naturelover et Al....thank you for the link to the Binaca Geet Mala. I intend to order all 1 to 50....could anyone kindly confirm that there are no quality issues for the entire collection...thanks & cheers

Haven't heard them yet. These are from Saregama so should be good. A couple of CDs are available on iTunes. Heard samples there. All seemed good.

Dear Naturelover et Al....thank you for the link to the Binaca Geet Mala. I intend to order all 1 to 50....could anyone kindly confirm that there are no quality issues for the entire collection...thanks & cheers

I have all the CDs and the quality is good. Only issue is lack of space between songs. You may find it difficult to rip the music onto your computer.

Cheers

And for the kishore lovers , there is CD available with comparatively better recording...kishore live in LA...check amazon for the same...and this time it was not stayed in vegas[emoji6]

I got the CDs yesterday delivered to me by Amazon within 24 hours of ordering. Good service but bad product. EAC is having a tough time trying to rip the CDs accurately. Will most probably return the CDs after I order another copy from elsewhere.

In any case, I played the CDs on a decent system and was blown away by CBSO's music. Those guys are just phenomenal. Just listen to 'Tun Jo Mila Gayo Ho' to understand how music has become more important than the singer. Though Sonu Nigam has sung well, the music by CBSO is just so much more overwhelming, and literally pushes him away. I could imagine Sonu trying to maintain the speed and rhythm with the music, which BTW, he does that quite well. But nothing could stop my mind from waiting for CBSO players to come back 'on stage'. Their timing is impeccable as is the note, and gain, and choice of instruments. I just loved the way they ended the song with a crash of cymbals. I dont think I will ever get tired of listening to this a hundred times or more. Bravo, CBSO and Michael Seal.

Seriously, if our music directors listen to this, they can take film music to a different level. I can imagine 1000s of songs that will sound so much better and exciting when they are accompanied by symphony orchestra such as CBSO.

This is a must have CD for lovers of old Hindi Film music.

Last edited:
Pretty disappointed on my new purchases of Mohd. Rafi saab's movie ost by saregama. Sound quality of songs are pretty mediocre. Checked with 'spek' and result is given below. The song checked was 'chahoonga mein' from movie Dosti.

Last edited:
Hi sarith, dosti belong to that era, when india had very sub standard quality of recording studios and mastering techniques..so dont be dissapoint..all songs sound more or less same from that time...concentrate on music more than sound

No Sarith, songs from that era sound very very nice. Try and hear a Dosti cd made in England. Alternatively try and hear a lp. In fact many of R D Burman masterings sound much better than modern day film songs.

I accept for RD burman...but Dosti was recorded in year in which every song more or less sound the same...tell me any RD burman song from the same year from Dosti..

Hi dheerajin, Dosti sounds fabulous. I have a lp of Dosti. Dosti is a 64 film. Teesri Manzil is 66. Have you heard a lp of Teesri Manzil? You will be blown

Dheerajin, have you heard Aao Twist Karen on a lp? It is from Bhoot Bangla, pretty much the same year as Dost. Shankar Jaikishan titles in the 60 s all sound very very good. In fact probably a bit better than RD of the 60 s. Even some of Naushads albums are brilliant. Especially Saathi.

Hi prem again its relative definition of sounding good or bad...if some one is comparing it with even 1955's english songs or 2000's bollywood..or even RD's all recording...it depends on system to reveal and listener's accumen to grasp the musical arrangement..so you and me can not debate on this one..so whatever i suggested holds true for Sarith's system IMO. Anyway...are you in touch with modern bollywood music director about their non commercial talent for music...try amit trivedi for flopped film name Aiyya...listen to the songs ...specially kahani sunati hai..

Dheerajin, you guys have never got hold of a correct mastering of old Hondi songs. Many of those songs kill today's modern songs in terms of staging, dynamics, tone, timbre. Just because you haven't heard it doesn't mean you can make blanket statement. I have heard masters of many modern film songs as well as masters of older titles. I have had CD-R of the original masters of many A R Rahman titles

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back