For Lovers of Mohd. Rafi

Most modern film songs are not true to the tone and timbre of instruments. They are majorly processed digitally. I have heard songs before mastering and the same one post mastering. You have no idea how they change everything. Even voices are played around with. There is no way you can judge the quality of a system based on how it plays new Bollywood songs

In fact in one of the threads someone had mentioned about how Veer Zaara sounds good. In fact it is one of the poorest albums to judge a system Latas voice has been processed so much that they even had to add a reverb to it to camouflage the breaking of her voice

Prem as i said my suggestion was for OP not for you experienced guys...a normal listener would not go upto such depth as you have measured...OP..wants his satsfaction by means of his buy...and he will not get that by listening the same song from your system. You are perfectly right in your aspect but you can not axpect to see the things in that manner..I have listen Rahman songs RD SONGS on MBL, i did not liked the presentation that does not mean that system is bad..it only means it belongs to some different genres..

I think It has something to do with age and the way it was recorded to new age CD. I think I'm going OT. Still little bit sad that the Rafi saab songs sound lifeless. Those of you who have a better recording, lucky you :)

1st pic is of song Do Raaste. 2nd pic is of song Bahon Mein Chale Aao. 3rd pic is of song Tujse Naraz Nahi Zindagi. All of them Saregama CD.

Last edited:
Most modern film songs are not true to the tone and timbre of instruments. They are majorly processed digitally. I have heard songs before mastering and the same one post mastering. You have no idea how they change everything. Even voices are played around with. There is no way you can judge the quality of a system based on how it plays new Bollywood songs

In fact in one of the threads someone had mentioned about how Veer Zaara sounds good. In fact it is one of the poorest albums to judge a system Latas voice has been processed so much that they even had to add a reverb to it to camouflage the breaking of her voice
Prem absolutely true....but in this modern age..can you convince the same thing to a newcomer...when everything is dissloved into mid,hi,low,soundstage,subwoofer,surround even for audio. They will only get convinced when they are emotionally attached to the kind of music , that you are listening..

Dheerajin if MBL cannot play well mastered hindi songs there is something wrong with the system you heard. A system understands frequencies, not genre of music being played. A good well set up system will play any kind of music.

Yes prem , thats what my understanding was...basically its my definition that i could not connect well with MBL wrt to bollywood but someone else may find MBL best....so it is all personal....and same thing I wanted to tell you...it is very subjective ...and each of his own..so mastering and recordind is nothing in front of emotional connect to the music...

Dheerajin, if you ever want to compare two sets of amps and speakers try connecting a mic to the amp and get someone to sing. This way you are eliminating the vagaries of mastering. In my younger years I used to buy based on this experiment:)

I grew up with three kinds of music listeners...1)very much attached to music irrespective of system 2) attached to music with good sounding system 3) sound system was fabulous.
The musical connection was very good with 1 )and they always enjoyed the music. 3) they were always experimenting with situations, cables,formats and even voodoo things...2) they were somewhere in balanced situation...having best of both worlds...only problem was- they could not have emotional connect and clinical approach at the same time. So very few of them got one enlightenment once....that they could enjoy any music with any system with right kind of balance- emotional connect,reasonability and cooperation with the system.
So it all depends..which way you chooose..
Prem I am happy thay you are quite content with your format/system..almost majority in our forum is still wandering for that ultimate bliss.

Currently i am enjoying my present system so much , that i dont need any improvements...i am content...because of that reference emotional connect with music...since childhood...that i outrightly rejected the MBL..because it could not give me that food for brain...but at the same time when played SACD of Ry crooder( meeting by the river)...it was like i am sittting in heaven and apsaras are dancing around me with the tune...
So its all personal...and also it is time and space theory for music..

Last edited:
Andaz(1949, Naushad) was recorded in a tent, sounds amazing on the EP I have. Mahal 1949, Nagin 1954, Tarana 1951, Baiju Bawra 1952 just to name a few sound superb on the records. Just imagine how would they be sounding on the original 78 RPM. Its the digital conversation of this Hindi film music which is not up to the mark. Its sad and unfortunate that the young generation if listens to the digital format of our golden heritage will never be able to connect to it.

Last edited:
Andaz(1949, Naushad) was recorded in a tent, sounds amazing on the EP I have. Mahal 1949, Nagin 1954, Tarana 1951, Baiju Bawra 1952 just to name a few sound superb on the records. Just imagine how would they be sounding on the original 78 RPM. Its the digital conversation of this Hindi film music which is not up to the mark. and its sad that the young generation if listens to the digital format of our golden heritage will never be able to connect to it.
Sann..whatever you are saying is from emotional connect, it has nothing to do with format(CS/VINYL). Whatever films you have mentioned would sound equally good with any good system with any format. Biasing is based on upbringging with musical connect.
If you thinkk digital music is wrong, then prove it by facts not by your hearing.

Great dheerajin. You have worked hard on your music system. I am really happy that you are enjoying it to its fullest:)

Hi sarith, dosti belong to that era, when india had very sub standard quality of recording studios and mastering techniques..so dont be dissapoint..all songs sound more or less same from that time...concentrate on music more than sound

Just took out older HMV CD and compared it with newer Saregama CD and the spectrum analyzer showed that older HMV CD are way better than newer ones. The result was average for saregama (DADC). Lucky for me to get my hands on Rafi saab's collection CD years back.

IIRC, it has been said on this forum that saregama has made CDs with compressed versions of the originals

yup. they digitised and compressed all their songs. I blieve thier LPS are in "Cold Storage"

Almost all new Saregama CDs sound hollow and the highs shriek..The whole reason i got to Vinyl
Buying a new Saregama LP is not going to be any better !

An Evening in London - Rafi Resurrected

Wanted to listen to this particular track and googled it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cv71SzU0LaA

What I stumbled upon was amaazing; a treasure trove:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QF_QG-g5AyI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXnP59u-fXQ

I've never rated this guy too high but he is so so passionate about music that 'iske liye sau khoon maaf' (An old saying in Hindi: For this, he can be pardoned for 100 murders)

Mind you, I was listening to the whole thing on my crappy 2.1 computer speakers but never did occur to me. (That I'm missing anything)

Edit:
This post is part of separate thread which is now merged with VenkatCR's earlier thread.

Last edited:
Re: An Evening in London - Rafi Resurrected

Thank You Captain ...... you made my day err night :yahoo:

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back