For Those Who Thought Foobar2000 Looks Plain

What are you running ?
I could manage 25m/s in J River.

If you do 50 m/s you should be OK.

J River with Event Style is what I prefer too.

However, most friends of mine have moved on to J Play & they seem to prefer that.

I am running it on 200 m/s... and it seems cool with that.

JPlay is good too, but Jriver is simpler to use... at least that's what I feel.

I might just move to amarra + apple (either a macbook pro or a mini) at some point of time, though.

Apple stuff is so much better even for audio!

I am running it on 200 m/s... and it seems cool with that.

I might just move to amarra + apple (either a macbook pro or a mini) at some point of time, though.

Apple stuff is so much better even for audio!

Sir,
200 is too high.
You need to be @ 50 at least.

Yes, Apple + Amarra is good.
However, no Flac. You will have to rip music in AIFF _ All my music cannot be used....

I did compare the above with J River & did not find the Apple + Amarra to be 'better' therefore I did not switch.

Before you move - get the J River to play perfect. Get your machines latency down - some other tests to be done too. I did those - do not know what they are called - but Satyam will guide you - they help the machine to run 'quiet' !

Sir,
200 is too high.

Yes, Apple + Amarra is good.
However, no Flac. You will have to rip music in AIFF _ All my music cannot be used....

I did compare the above with J River & did not find the Apple + Amarra to be 'better' therefore I did not switch.

Before you move - get the J River to play perfect. Get your machines latency down - some other tests to be done too. I did those - do not know what they are called - but Satyam will guide you - they help the machine to run 'quiet' !

That is very helpful!

also, i guess I will live with Jriver on my Lappie, as i do not like the idea of ripping to AIFF...

I lost a lot of my flacs as my hard disk got corrupt. I recovered using a tool called photorec. I have two problem now
1. The album art is missing, so this skin looks very plain, is there away for it to dynamically download album art?
2. The file names are now strange (although the tag information is correct). Is there a way to rename the files based on the track title or atleast the display name in the skin to be the track title and not the file name?

TIA.

Last edited:
I lost a lot of my flacs as my hard disk got corrupt. I recovered using a tool called photorec. I have two problem now
1. The album art is missing, so this skin looks very plain, is there away for it to dynamically download album art?
2. The file names are now strange (although the tag information is correct). Is there a way to rename the files based on the track title or atleast the display name in the skin to be the track title and not the file name?

TIA.

Mp3 tag editor Tag&Rename - edit tag in mp3, wma, mp4 files, automatic discogs and freedb import to rename and tag files. Foobar can be used to tag but more cumbersome. Not sure about dynamically d/l album art in Foobar.

For 2nd point too Tag&Rename is excellent option. You can rename files from tags.

Easytag will rename files and directories. However, they seem to have dropped support for Windows in recent versions, leaving Linux and Mac only. It is a powerful program, but I have to admit that I find it a bit confusing.

It's a really great idea to use tagging software to rename files after recovery software has saved them, but not with their proper names. Thanks musicbee!
I prefer as minimal an interface as possible.
So do I. And I prefer to have a media player stick to being a media player without trying to be everything from a browser to a magazine. This is one of the reasons that I used Foobar back in Windows days. Now it's Aqualung for audio and VLC for video.

Choice is good: each to their own :)

EDIT: PS, backups is an even better idea: always have at least one other copy of your files on a separate external hdd. Even if you are already using RAID or mirroring.

Last edited:
@ FM Bluu et al (who posted here)
Interesting and useful thread we have here.

Many thanks Bluu.:clapping::clapping:

While I download the latest version ie 1.1.13 and the skin under mention, I just want to ask you guys as to how many of us have tried the lightweight (Russian?) player aimp for audio and gom player for AV. To my technically challenged state of being, I find both pretty neat, versatile and hassle free though I have only been using these on my laptop so far.

Here's the translated webpage of the Russian website. They have an American one too in addition to an aimp tools plug-in that methinks is compatible only with version 2.x

http://translate.google.com/transla...e=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&u=http://www.aimp.ru/

Would appreciate thoughts on both, especially the former.
TIA
Regards

Last edited:
Trittya, no appreciation for me for reviving the thread

@ CaptRajesh
Aieeeyyyo !!
(& Oh tere ki !! too):eek::eek::eek:
A case of "Ghar ki Murgi Daal baraaber", it is NOT.:D:eek:hyeah::)

After those 2 exclamations of embarassment above that need no translation, IMO . . .
(The English translation isn't very apt, but here it is -
Its NOT a case of - The hen/chicken from one's own yard tastes like Daal)

Sir, to tell you the truth, I didn't read the whole thread in detail. After reading the initial couple of posts, I went to Google Baba's ashram to download the latest version and the plug-in.
Installed both and then posted.
Do accept my sincere apologies for the oversight.

Warmest regards and Happy Janamashthami.

Last edited:
@ CaptRajesh
Aieeeyyyo !!
(& Oh tere ki !! too):eek::eek::eek:
Ghar ki Murgi Daal baraaber, it is NOT.:D:eek:hyeah::)

???? ?????? ??? ????! ?? ?? ?? ??????? ????? ?? ??? ??? ????!

(You made me a hen, I would've been happy had you made me a Cock at least.)

Do accept my sincere apologies for the oversight.

Warmest regards and Happy Janamashthami.

Happy Janmasthami to you and all those who are reading this post.:)

(You made me a hen, I would've been happy had you made me a Cock at least.)

Sir,
You mean Rooster, surely, NO?:lol::lol::eek:hyeah::D

The bird in that saying is feminine in gender.
Did not alter the gender for fear of being branded 'sexist'.:rolleyes::rolleyes::cool::cool:

BTW, Sir, I have been listening to Bo Diddley on foobar ever since. Its a breeze, this skin, the darkone.

BUMP on any thoughts on aimp and/or gom player please.
I feel gom is better than VLC as far as windows OS is concerned. Don't think they have a version for Linux/Mac OSs. Here is the link to their site

http://www.gomlab.com/eng/

Regards as ever

Last edited:
Thanks a million to the OP, this truly is a beautifully refreshing theme and at a frugal footprint as well. :)

Sir,
200 is too high.

Last night i worked on the Laptop and the Jriver interface... 100ms worked best!

also, I checked the Latency, and the Laptop did well... the latency checker gave it a good rating!

I think I will live with this for a bit....

also, do you think I will get some improvement if I used a M2Tech Hiface USB to co-axial converter and then used the W4S's co-ax input??

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back