For TT lovers of Kolkata

Found this article in Telegraph on 19th and thought of sharing...It maybe of help to some of our members here ....
Link

Interesting article. Never knew this existed. Should be a great place for people in this region looking for spares & services required to the turntables.
Thanks for sharing.

Regards,
Saket

Source of my two turntables Technics 1200 MK II and Rotel RP 5300 is Metro Music Hall. However regarding repair or service a guy from Kasba, South Kolkata is way above comparing to whoever is mentioned in this article. This is not meant for letting anybody down but just indicating the better solution.

Source of my two turntables Technics 1200 MK II and Rotel RP 5300 is Metro Music Hall. However regarding repair or service a guy from Kasba, South Kolkata is way above comparing to whoever is mentioned in this article. This is not meant for letting anybody down but just indicating the better solution.

Can you PM me the contact details and also if you have any first hand exp of delaing with this person?

Source of my two turntables Technics 1200 MK II and Rotel RP 5300 is Metro Music Hall.

Would like to know the prices of the units if you are willing to share.
Also, can you mention what we can expect there? Do we need to bargain or it is "fixed priced"? Are they reliable? I mean do we need to double check everything or we can rely on their words?

An honest advice......don't get lured by some newspaper article....Metro Music Hall is now only the shadow of what it used to be till a couple years back when the octogenarian owner Gopalbabu was fit and active.His son Preetam doesn't seem to have any interest in the vintage staff business. Still being one of the very few places we get these staffs, it's ok to try your luck if you are passing by. If you get something interesting don't believe in their opinion, check yourself and bargain hard. In one word they are not that honest anymore what it used be.

For repair jobs never go to them. They are absolutely crap when it comes to repairing and charges are very high. The technicians are 'sadak chhap'. Stick to the person recommended by Sourav and you'll be in safe & knowledgeable hand. All our experience with him is very satisfying.

Regards

Bhaskar

An honest advice......don't get lured by some newspaper article....Metro Music Hall is now only the shadow of what it used to be till a couple years back when the octogenarian owner Gopalbabu was fit and active.His son Preetam doesn't seem to have any interest in the vintage staff business. Still being one of the very few places we get these staffs, it's ok to try your luck if you are passing by. If you get something interesting don't believe in their opinion, check yourself and bargain hard. In one word they are not that honest anymore what it used be.

For repair jobs never go to them. They are absolutely crap when it comes to repairing and charges are very high. The technicians are 'sadak chhap'. Stick to the person recommended by Sourav and you'll be in safe & knowledgeable hand. All our experience with him is very satisfying.

Regards

Bhaskar

This is the kind of words I am looking for so that I know how to deal with them if I ever have to. Thank you! Bhaskarcan.

Nice to see others chipping in with details ....I'm new to Kolkata and just posted the article..I dont even have a TT ..Maybe we can have a sticky thread in the TT section which contains details of good repair shops ??? I think it would be very useful .

Nice to see others chipping in with details ....I'm new to Kolkata and just posted the article..I dont even have a TT ..Maybe we can have a sticky thread in the TT section which contains details of good repair shops ??? I think it would be very useful .

If one has some inclination towards the electronics & mechanicals (which are mainly involved with TTs) and you can source the spares if needed, there is nothing better than a DIY when it comes to TTs. Every one is not lucky to have a good technician in their city! Neither every knowledgeable technician will give as much time to the TT as they deserve. Repairing a turntable, apart from skill also needs loads of patience.

Regards,
Saket

Hi Sourav, I stay in your locality . Would like to see your Technics sl1200 at your convenient time. I too have similar setup & would like a few mods. PM me

I have a Sonodyne 4000D record player on which the speed seems to vary causing the pitch to change. Do you know anyone who would be able to repair it? I saw your post regarding the guy in Kasba. Can you give me his contact number.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back