Fountain Pen enthusiasts...Raise your stained fingers :-)

Thanks lot for creating this thread!
I was a Fountain Pen Enthusiast, 7 - 8 years ago...
Montblanc was one of the premium I owned, but my daily drivers were waterman, Lamy, Schaeffer, Parker etc. Even had few from Deccan Pens Hyderabad, Few Good ones from China as well. I had a taste for exotic inks and had many inks in collection. The Harley Davidson Edition or Ferrari edition were in the collection too.

Ultimately the busy schedule and kids ; kind of made it cumbersome to continue with the hobby. Schaeffer still continues to be my daily driver but moved to Jotter Refills in view of convenience. I should still be having few fountain pens, but I have donated most of the exotic stuff as far as I remember. Well yes, fountain pens are a different universe altogether.
It's a familiar story. Fine things like fountain pens are often the victims of crazy modern life. It happened with me too. But with age, some good things happen. My kids are finally getting a grip on their raging teenage hormones. And I have enough help at work to breathe easy. Hence my pens are getting all the love and attention they deserve.
BTW, you know your friend Rajiv Menon is a big time fountain pen fan. His favorite inks are sepia and turquoise, but he is being forced to use blue as quality audit is going on :)
Only God knows how many of those I ruined during my school days. Google search directed me to these nostalgic pictures. :)
View attachment 63941
Wing Sung. Ultimate mojo of my youth. Could win friends and influence teachers. Mine is still around. But now I realize it was not such a great writer :)
Here is mine... must be more than 30 years old :) 20211107_224343.jpg

Last edited:
Last edited:
Was a fountain pen enthusiast. My handwriting was at its best when I wrote with one. Started of with the ever popular Hero fountain pen back in school. Progressed to a Waterman after I got fed up with all the fake nibs for Hero.

Unfortunately, I don't write anywhere near as much today, I can't be fast with a fountain pen when I write and thats made way for the ever popular ball point pen. That also lead to a downfall in the way I write. My hand writing has gone for a six.

I still use fountain pens and always on a look out for new ones. Tragedy is that I never use some of them as now a days using an fountain pen in daily life is somewhat limited. I do keep a couple of them inked at my desk so that when ever I am taking notes during a meeting or so, I use them. But that is very limited use in my opinion. MB 149 is the star of my collection till now, someday I hope to get the Sailor King of Pens as well. Now a days prices have gone up like anything even for the cheaper ones we used during our school days.

I am not a fountain pen enthusiast but I've preserved mine from around 1991 till date. For some reason I can't seem to part with them. Thank you @Lizard King for this thread. You forced me to dig up the pens and post some pics.

The Quink ink and Waterman cartridges. I even labelled the British bottle as "special ink" lol. The levels have reduced but still surviving.
20211108_120535.jpg

Sheaffer
20211108_120733.jpg
A few of the Sheaffer pens below are from the 1970s
20211108_123135.jpg

Pelikan
20211108_120930.jpg

Platignum
20211108_122150.jpg

Ritter
20211108_121846.jpg

Waterman
20211108_121754.jpg

Senator
20211108_121611.jpg

and last but not the least...Parker
20211108_121306.jpg

check this out...
Chapter_Ink_Kaweco_SteelFountainPen_Open_b281a802-a47f-48f4-9e38-83492d35918c_1800x1800.png

Only God knows how many of those I ruined during my school days. Google search directed me to these nostalgic pictures. :)
View attachment 63941
These Sheaffers were and still are fabulous.

Edit:
On closer look these seem to be Wing Sungs or another brand. I noticed the transparent ink window and the close up of the nib didn't look like a inlaid triumph nib.

But ink pens are ink pens. Love em all.

There was an article based on a research that I had read many years ago that the action of writing is not not a very simple task for a human. It involves quite some brain power to do so albeit after a while it does become second nature. The fact that the brain has to think and construct ideas and then convert them into words to triggering your motor sensors and nerves to control the required muscles across your entire arm(its not just your wrists) which results into complex continuous muscle movements called writing, the whole process is quite a exercise for the brain and writing is used as one of the tools by therapists and doctors to either slow down or delay onset of cognitive degeneration.

So keeping a diary and writing a few pages on a regular basis is actually beneficial for health. It also was researched and proven as a huge stress buster. I am sure there may be more benefits to the act of writing.

So why let the art become extinct along with its tools ?

Last edited by a moderator:
I am not a fountain pen enthusiast but I've preserved mine from around 1991 till date. For some reason I can't seem to part with them. Thank you @Lizard King for this thread. You forced me to dig up the pens and post some pics.

The Quink ink and Waterman cartridges. I even labelled the British bottle as "special ink" lol. The levels have reduced but still surviving.
View attachment 63958

Sheaffer
View attachment 63959
View attachment 63960

Pelikan
View attachment 63961

Platignum
View attachment 63962

Ritter
View attachment 63963

Waterman
View attachment 63964

Senator
View attachment 63965

View attachment 63966
I showed this collection to my elder daughter.. innocently asked if these were for sale.. lol

she blatantly says she loves all stationery... diaries, sticky notes & of course pens...

She just got her first fountain, for her birthday.. Pilot Tiger

Yeah the inlaid nib was a Sheaffer innovation and a sure eye-catcher! https://penhero.com/PenGallery/Sheaffer/SheafferInlaidNibs.htm
Inlaid nibs of Sheaffer Legacy is one of the things that brought me close to fountain pens. Unfortunately they are now discontinued.
Presently Waterman Carene is possibly the only major pen with such nibs. Even though they seemed to have rather poor quality control these days, and inspite of their feminine looks, it is really worth owning them. images (69).jpeg

Talking about inlaid nibs, I remember briefly having used a Chinese brand called Lily. These were better than the Wing Sung and Hero pens. Had only one copy ever, during later years in school. Mine was bluish green in color. Somehow never see them later. fountain_pen__lily_728_1466167307_4c915380.jpg

Last edited:
20211121_152747.jpgOne of my daily writers, on my desk. This Parker Odyssey is a metal body affordable pen. The nib is dry, writes very well with a bit running ink like Lapis Bard. Presently filled with turquoise ink.
Best thing is that this is made in India. If taken care of, will easily last a few decades.

View attachment 63941
Wing-Sung’s I presume ????

View attachment 63958

Sheaffer
View attachment 63959
View attachment 63960

Pelikan
View attachment 63961

Platignum
View attachment 63962

Ritter
View attachment 63963

Waterman
View attachment 63964

Senator
View attachment 63965

View attachment 63966
Have a soft corner for Sheafer with in-laid nibs

Last edited by a moderator:
View attachment 69763

Perpetually waiting to be available again. Was supposed to be launched in February
Ha ha….have the originals from school days, no degredation in performance, works with current cartridges, couldnt be happier 😃.

BTW, this pen will outlast anything and everyone around you so a good used piece(you should find at Apsara pen mart mumbai) will set you up for years. Nothing really happens to them with age even with daily use which in todays case is minimal.

OMG so many still use FPs

Have a decent collection of Lamys, Parkers, ASA pens, Pilots etc. And a few inks of different shades. Still use them to write my daily diary at work and the only one to use FP in a 200 plus organization.

And the good thing I rubbed off the FP lust to my daughter, perhaps who is the only FP user in her uni of 1500 students. She has her separate collection.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back