From a soundbar to an all-Seaton Atmos setup

I am not sure how I missed this thread. Spent a good part of the morning, going through this nearly 5 year thread :)

Ha ha. The thread is slightly more than 3 years old, but I received the Catalysts and Sparks from Mark in September of 2017 for my original 5.1 HT, so the build is well into its 5th year :)

Excellent Work and nice to see such dedication and passion to building a really classy Home theater and music space.

Thank you, sud98. My dedication and passion is focused almost exclusively on the actual AV performance and wringing out as much as possible out of the gear as opposed to the aesthetics, but it is nice to hear these comments as well.

So, my JVC projector has now been out for 7 weeks (and counting) for service. My first projector (Epson TW6700) has stepped in to fill the breach, so to say. Watched Spider-Man: No Way Home on iTunes, half on Friday night and half on Saturday afternoon.

As I turned on the Epson on Saturday, my daughters go, in unison: Appa, when will we get the JVC back? Got a look from the missus. She didn't have to say anything, but I knew: Nee kutticheviraa ponadhum illama, ippo kozhaindhaigal verayaa? (apologies to the Tamil challenged, it doesn't work as well when translated).

Is there some know issue with JVC, or just random issues?

AFAIK, the most prevalent issue with this series of JVC's is the "vertical stripes" one. The owners thread on AVSForum (https://www.avsforum.com/threads/of...7-n7-jvc-rs1000-nx5-n5-owners-thread.3038288/) should have more details. I sent mine in suspecting a panel convergence issue. Unfortunately, they can't see the same issue I'm seeing in my setup (got me on a video call to confirm), but it also turned out that one of the HDMI ports was non-functional, necessitating a new HDMI board. Still waiting for it to get to Mumbai so it can be installed, tested and sent on to me.

I had considered JVC briefly before getting a Sony.

I know. I was the fellow urging you to consider getting the JVC NX5 over the Sony, if you could swing it, for the HDR DTM capabilities of the JVC. When I saw a post recently from you suggesting that you found HDR performance lacking on your projector (or something to that effect), I had to exercise all of the restraint I have (and borrow plenty that I don't) to stop myself from saying "I told you so" ;)

As for the movie itself (Spider-Man: No Way Home), I thought the second half was terrible. Movie is totally worth watching for the audio mix, though. There's folks who'll reflexively scoff at streaming, but this sounded incredible through iTunes.

The fight sequence on the bridge is one heck of an advertisement for how unbelievably immersive Atmos can be, when done right. The missus blurted out that she felt she was right in the middle of it as that sequence was happening. The kiddos agreed. I just played it back again for the awesomeness;) That right there is the best kind of paisa vasool there is in this hobby, folks.

I know. I was the fellow urging you to consider getting the JVC NX5 over the Sony, if you could swing it, for the HDR DTM capabilities of the JVC. When I saw a post recently from you suggesting that you found HDR performance lacking on your projector (or something to that effect), I had to exercise all of the restraint I have (and borrow plenty that I don't) to stop myself from saying "I told you so" ;)
Actually after some calibration I am more than satisfied with the Sony's HDR10 pq. now. If fact I look forward to watching 4k HDR titles and find myself avoiding the non HDR ones. The PQ is so superior that I am dissatisfied watching non hdr.
I will look up JVC during my next upgrade cycle in a few years, but who knows, by then Sony may have upped their game as well.
Cheers,
Sid

As for the movie itself (Spider-Man: No Way Home), I thought the second half was terrible. Movie is totally worth watching for the audio mix, though. There's folks who'll reflexively scoff at streaming, but this sounded incredible through iTunes.

The fight sequence on the bridge is one heck of an advertisement for how unbelievably immersive Atmos can be, when done right. The missus blurted out that she felt she was right in the middle of it as that sequence was happening. The kiddos agreed. I just played it back again for the awesomeness;) That right there is the best kind of paisa vasool there is in this hobby, folks.
Enjoy...That bridge scene was a very good mix. The LFE hits very hard too .

Actually after some calibration I am more than satisfied with the Sony's HDR10 pq. now. If fact I look forward to watching 4k HDR titles and find myself avoiding the non HDR ones. The PQ is so superior that I am dissatisfied watching non hdr.
I will look up JVC during my next upgrade cycle in a few years, but who knows, by then Sony may have upped their game as well.
Cheers,
Sid
If you have HTPC ,enable MadVR ,that will do justice in Tonemapping the HDR content.

If you have HTPC ,enable MadVR ,that will do justice in Tonemapping the HDR content.
I am using a shield. To my eyes it is doing an excellent job (of-course I do not have a high end projector). I am sure HTPC will be better, but using a sony 270es with a shield tv Pro is very good. I am using the foundation tv series 4k HDR as a benchmark nowadays. Picture quality is stunning.
Sorry to the OP for the OT, will let the discussion get back to the original.
Cheers,
Sid

Last edited:
Sorry to the OP for the OT, will let the discussion get back to the original.

No apologies required. Any discussion that will help advance the SQ and PQ of any our setups is welcome.

None of our setups are perfect and I expect that the vast majority can do with more optimization that doesn't cost a shedload of money. FWIW, I agree with Rajith. I expect that if you go the HTPC route with madVR for HDR DTM, you'll be very pleasantly surprised in comparison with the Shield. I do feel that you're selling your Sony PJ short. The choice of what to do is up to you, as always.

No apologies required. Any discussion that will help advance the SQ and PQ of any our setups is welcome.

None of our setups are perfect and I expect that the vast majority can do with more optimization that doesn't cost a shedload of money. FWIW, I agree with Rajith. I expect that if you go the HTPC route with madVR for HDR DTM, you'll be very pleasantly surprised in comparison with the Shield. I do feel that you're selling your Sony PJ short. The choice of what to do is up to you, as always.
I have a decent htpc, did mess around with madvr, but ultimately dropped it for the convenience of the Shield. Yes, as I said madvr will probably be better but right now convenience trumps any other concerns.
Cheers,
Sid

Enjoy...That bridge scene was a very good mix. The LFE hits very hard too .

Absolutely. Showcase scene, that. Missus' cousin was home last week. He hasn't seen the movie yet. Naturally, he was subjected to a demo of this scene;).

My son had already hit bed, so I played this at 5 dB below the levels at which we'd watched originally. Cousin was floored, regardless. Missus was like: It was okay. Not as impactful as when we watched originally. She didn't know that I was playing at lower levels compared to before. Don't think there's any hope whatsoever for any of us, is there? :)

Finally got my hands on the NX7 replacement lamp recently that I'd sourced from the US. More than 2000 hours on the original lamp, so my calibrator felt it was best to swap it out with the new one before calibration. Got it with the housing as I was told by one of the folks selling the bare bulbs that they'd be 20% less bright than the original ones with the housing and I need all the brightness I can get to light up my current screen. Pity as the bare bulbs are 20% of the cost of the ones with the housing. HST, the new bulb has definitely breathed fresh life into my projector. Didn't realize how much dimmer it had gotten until the new one went in.

Even my eldest one was moved enough by the difference that the additional brightness made to the picture now to say "Stunning!". Of course, we were watching the highlights of the recent Liverpool-United game at Anfield first up to "inaugurate" the new lamp. He could well have been talking about the gorgeous one-touch passing move for our second goal. The vision from Mane for that pass, that simply other-worldly first touch from Salah before the finish. All of this on a 150 inch screen. Doesn't get much better for Liverpool fans;)

Attachments

• nx7_replacement_lamp.jpeg
    nx7_replacement_lamp.jpeg
    209.6 KB · Views: 30
Finally had my projector calibrated earlier this week. For color calibration, a 3D LUT was generated through Calman and then uploaded to my video processor (madVR Envy). While the drop in brightness from a color calibration takes a bit of getting used to, the difference between uncalibrated and calibrated wasn't close. Skin tones, colors, contrast, sharpness. You name it. Much better now.

Even my eldest one was moved enough by the difference that the additional brightness made to the picture now to say "Stunning!".

Watching highlights of our CL semifinal first leg vs Villareal and I switched to uncalibrated without telling him what I was doing. Instantaneous scream: Appa, switch it back!

I told him that the uncalibrated was what we were watching until now. He goes: That's what we were watching?! I couldn't go back to that now.
Indeed!

Mark Seaton's designer series 18 inch subwoofers, offered only through custom installers. No, I don't have these. I would love between 4-8 of these though, when I build a dedicated theater. The slim profile (only 12 in deep) is well into subwoofer lust territory. Hot damn!

seaton_ds_12.jpg

Outdoor FM antenna, finally! Thanks to FM Sriram for letting me know that this was now again available to order. Took a month from placement of order to receive it, but I listen to a fair amount of FM and it was worth the wait. The reception I now get is miles better than before. I knew it would be, but I still find myself surprised by how much a difference it makes to the listening experience. Couldn't bring myself to turn it off yesterday night and had just dozed off in my seat, thanks to the music and RJ Toshila's voice on FM 106.4 :)

fm_antenna.jpeg

It has long been clear that the 1W LEDs on the corners of each of the ceiling panels weren't sufficient for the purpose of ambient lighting during breaks in between movie watching. So, finally added four of the Philips 3 Watt Star Surface Striker lights to help with keeping the curtains drawn while still providing for comfortable access to the bedrooms on the side and the kitchen behind.

no_lights.jpegambient_lights.jpeg

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back