Front Bass reflex v/s Rear bass reflex Speakers ??

rsponline

Friends,

I want to know how Front bass reflex and rear bass reflex speakers differ in Sound.

I have rear bass reflex speakers with 6 1/2 inch bass driver.

I am observing that i get expected deep bass when i listen it from back side, i get little bit disappointed when listen it from front.

I have placed my speakers 1 feet away from rear walls.

is it expected from rear bass reflex speakers?

or

is it speaker placement issue ?

or

is it related to room acrostics?

Location of the bass port is a designer's prerogative. They can place it how they want it to be.

I have seen that speakers with rear bass ports have to be usually placed at some distance from the walls compared to those with front bass ports.

The deep bass which you might be hearing at the back of the speakers maybe due to the standing waves.

The problem is both the room acoustics and the speakers placement in my opinion.
I suggest calculating your room's modes and then placing your speakers and listening chair accordingly. If you don't want to calculate you can simply try moving your speakers a little out in the room and then choosing your listening position.

.... Another thing to understand is that music is not just heavy bass.

Last edited:
Well it is a mixture of placement as well as Room acoustics.

The lack of bass at seating position could be due to bass null in the room at that position .
Try re positioning the speakers or seating position to overcome this null.

Another option although I would not personally recommend is moving the speajer closer to the rear wall. This would increase the bass output due to boundary effect / bass reinforcement from the rear wall
However it would affect midrange and soundtage

If it is a bookshelf speaker, keep it in a good quality stand. This would enhance the base quality magically. 1 feet to 1.5 feet from rear wall should be sufficient. I also use rear ported book shelf speaker. I initially had this same problem. Over a period of time i adjusted the speaker position in different way and bought a good stand. Now i am really happy with the Low freq response out of my book shelf speaker (WF 10.2)

Thanks all for suggestion ...

I will do some experiments with speaker placement and room acoustics..

also thinking of DIY speaker stand. Let you know the results ...

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back