FullHD versus HDready

1. Simple answer again is no, it does not make a difference. 6-7 months back, we watched superman 3 in Pana 42 inch plasma one hd ready and other fhd. Both were playing bluray special edition, viewing distance was 11 ft. 0 difference between both.

Just bcos HD Ready downscales a picture to 720p doesnt mean it will be inferior, your viewing distance will ensure that you cannot spot the difference. It makes sense for someone who is gaming, bcos we are always at less that 6 feet not for someone viewing at 10+ feet.

Again, when we did a test on a Sony TV (dont remember the model), we found FHD was better in PQ than HDReady. we were stunned bcos it defied logic. Then after proper comparison we found the panel in the FHD was far better and the price difference btw the model was huge which made sense.

So again I will make it simple, at a similar price point, at a viewing distance of 10+ a 50 inch FHD and HDReady will not make a difference for movie or TV watching. Infact, HDReady is a better bet for regular cable, DTH, and DVD movie watching as it only upscales to 720p.

2. You dont have 4:3 HDReady models in India, at least I am not aware of

3. Even in US though they claim HD telecast, even today not many channels actually beam 1080. Its all a marketing gimmick. Its like Tata and BIg tv saying DVD pictures. ANyway thats a different story all together :)

Whatever you say is correct. Still I feel, that we must push for better, more sophisticated technology, if budget permits.
I am not just thinking in terms of a particular case with an unique set of requirements, but why should we limit ourselves to the quality of transmission available now?
People can use Full-HD to watch their digital photos, which are ordinarily available in FHD nowadays..................not to mention FHD home-videos created in the FHD Camcorders.

Whatever you say is correct. Still I feel, that we must push for better, more sophisticated technology, if budget permits.
I am not just thinking in terms of a particular case with an unique set of requirements, but why should we limit ourselves to the quality of transmission available now?
People can use Full-HD to watch their digital photos, which are ordinarily available in FHD nowadays..................not to mention FHD home-videos created in the FHD Camcorders.

I think all your observations are made from LCDs.
In LCDs, HD ready is far inferior to Full HD. This is not because of the resolution but because of the inferior panel itself.
Also, For sizes >32", the backlight bleed is more apparent in the LCD because the pixel sizes and the distance between two pixels is more and the backlight has more probability to bleed. No wonder there aren't any HD ready LCDs beyond 32".. Also, HD ready development has been stopped ages ago in the LCD market. No wonder the HD ready panels will be inferior.

Plasmas are a different story. They are developed and finetuned in 720p most of their lifetime. They are perfected in this resolution and generation after generation came out. Also, since plasma is a self illuminating technology, the distance between pixels no longer matter as there is no light coming out of that area. Pixel size is the only issue. Pixel size issue alone will affect viewing only till certain viewing distances which I have mentioned earlier. This allows for 720p TVs until 50" feasible. Beyond this size, no more 720p TVs are manufactured as it affects viewing from normal viewing distances.

If your argument is "Why not buy latest technology when you can afford?", then the counter agrument is "Why waste money when you dont gain anything?"

If your requirement is gaming or near screen viewing, Get the Full HD, No doubts. Otherwise you are not future proofing anything but are only 'thinking' so.

Last edited:
I think all your observations are made from LCDs.
In LCDs, HD ready is far inferior to Full HD. This is not because of the resolution but because of the inferior panel itself.
Also, For sizes >32", the backlight bleed is more apparent in the LCD because the pixel sizes and the distance between two pixels is more and the backlight has more probability to bleed. No wonder there aren't any HD ready LCDs beyond 32".. Also, HD ready development has been stopped ages ago in the LCD market. No wonder the HD ready panels will be inferior.

Plasmas are a different story. They are developed and finetuned in 720p most of their lifetime. They are perfected in this resolution and generation after generation came out. Also, since plasma is a self illuminating technology, the distance between pixels no longer matter as there is no light coming out of that area. Pixel size is the only issue. Pixel size issue alone will affect viewing only till certain viewing distances which I have mentioned earlier. This allows for 720p TVs until 50" feasible. Beyond this size, no more 720p TVs are manufactured as it affects viewing from normal viewing distances.

If your argument is "Why not buy latest technology when you can afford?", then the counter agrument is "Why waste money when you dont gain anything?"

If your requirement is gaming or near screen viewing, Get the Full HD, No doubts. Otherwise you are not future proofing anything but are only 'thinking' so.

I am sure the Plasma - 720p TVs may be one of the best/ VFM technology available in the market. But my point is not from LCD- Plasma pov.
I am not sure about the idea of restricting yourself, just because FHD transmission is not available in India, as of now.
One still can enjoy FHD content thru FHD still-photos/ home-videos, which can take full advantage of 1080i/p resolution, even now.............provided that the viewing distance is reasonable.

I am not sure about the idea of restricting yourself, just because FHD transmission is not available in India, as of now.
One still can enjoy FHD content thru FHD still-photos/ home-videos, which can take full advantage of 1080i/p resolution, even now.............provided that the viewing distance is reasonable.

To put a value to the "reasonable distance".. Iam reiterating..

When viewing from distances of,

<8-9 feet for 50" ,
<5-6 feet for 42" ,
<3 feet for 32"

You WILL find a difference between 1080p and 720p TVs.

But most will not be able to view from those distances unless you are playing xbox/PS3 etc..

Go to a showroom and try to view a 50" TV from 8-9 feet and you will know it is hard.

Some of us perceive 5-6 feet for 42" as longer than what it really is. Your height is 5.5 - 6 feet. If you lie down on the floor with your foot touching the TV, You will not be able to identify betwen a FHD and HD ready set. Hope it puts things into perspective.

Last edited:
(8-9 feet for 50" , 5-6 feet for 42" and <3 feet for 32")

@Blasto,

Are you sure about this ?
With a 42 inch TV, the recommended viewing distance is 7 to 9 ft . 5 to 6 ft is a pain in the eye ! Most people keep 10 ft distance.

(8-9 feet for 50" , 5-6 feet for 42" and <3 feet for 32")

@Blasto,

Are you sure about this ?
With a 42 inch TV, the recommended viewing distance is 7 to 9 ft . 5 to 6 ft is a pain in the eye ! Most people keep 10 ft distance.

Are you confusing between two numbers?

For 42", 7 - 9 feet is the ideal distance to view the TV. (I would say 10-11 feet)
5 - 6 feet is where you will begin to see the difference between FHD and HD ready sets..

That is why, 42" has no advantages when it comes to FHD vs HD ready TVs.

I have my TV around 10 - 11 feet from my seat.

Friends,

I tried everywhere and cannot get Samsung B450 in Bangalore.

How others who wants to buy B450 are managing? No dealer is giving any date and not sure what to do?

Can you guys please give your inputs on how to comeout of this deadlock? Buy some other model! Any of you have any inside info?

Thank you

Sunder

Friends,

How others who wants to buy B450 are managing? No dealer is giving any date and not sure what to do?

Can you guys please give your inputs on how to comeout of this deadlock? Buy some other model! Any of you have any inside info?

Thank you

Sunder

I know how you feel. I waited for a month before giving up on the 50" B450 and getting the 42" (the last one of a batch according to the dealer).

Did you check out the shop in domlur where the member saumitra had some plasma demo?

Panasonic X10 is a good option too in the 42".

If you are not particular about the connectivity options, there is samsung B430 which is 4k lesser.

Re: FullHD versus HDready <-- Incorrect analogy.

The title of this thread is incorrect or atleast a little misleading. 'Full HD' & 'HD Ready' are terms that are not not mutually exclusive, therefore the analogy "FullHD versus HDready" is incorrect and if an analogy is to be made, then it ought to be "HD versus FullHD".

The correct usage/meaning of these terms, is:

HD: Marketing term used to define a native resolution of 1280 x 720 (921,600).

Full HD: Marketing term used to define a native resolution of 1920 x1080 (2,073,600 pixels). Although the term Full HD seems to imply 1080p, the fact is, many companies also use this term to define 1080i.

HD Ready: Marketing term used to define a TV, that does not have a built in HD receiver. This term was used initially in the US, to differentiate between newer HDTVs that had built in HD tuners and the older 'HD Ready' TVs that did not.
More recently this term has started to be used (misused), to define TVs that have a minimum native resolution of 720p but are also capable of accepting various other HD resolution signals and displaying them thru scaling.

PS: Do keep in mind that both Plasma & LCD are fixed resolution technologies. In other words each Plasma/LCD has only one native resolution and signals of all other resolutions are displayed by upscaling or downscaling the resolution to fit the native resolution.

Friends,

Thank you

Sunder

Sunder,

I went to a Samsung exclusive showroom, and placed an order for one. I did not have to pay any advance. The TV came in a round a month. they called me, and I went and picked it up.

Why don't you go to the largest Samsung exclusive dealer in your city and try placing an order.

Friends,

Thank you

Sunder

Hi Sunder,

Like Argho mentioned, I too visited samsung showroom and they asked me to book the plasma and they will get it in 15 days time. was quoted 47K for 42B450 and 60K for 50B450. A friend of mine is also looking for a TV and he mentioned that one of the shop in Khar (Mumbai) had stocks of B450. So the TV is available but not on display or readily stocked everywhere. You will have to book it OR find a shop outside Bangalore where you can find it.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back