Fundamentals of Audio and Music Engineering

xred

I was browsing my favorite website and came across this. I am not sure if this has been posted here before or not but I am sure that the members of the forum will surely like to take this course. Apart from this, there are more courses like History of Rock, Introduction to Guitar etc. And most importantly, they are all free. :clapping:

https://www.coursera.org/course/audiomusicengpart1

Fundamentals of Audio and Music Engineering: Part 1 Musical Sound & Electronics

By Robert Clark and Mark Bocko

In this course students learn the basic concepts of acoustics and electronics and how they can applied to understand musical sound and make music with electronic instruments. Topics include: sound waves, musical sound, basic electronics, and applications of these basic principles in amplifiers and speaker design.

About the Course
This 6-week course is for students who are interested in learning the basic concepts of sound & acoustics and signals & electronics as they relate to music. The goal is for students to understand the basic concepts and principles of musical acoustics and electronics and to learn how equipment such as electric guitars, amplifiers, and loudspeakers are designed and operate. Students are encouraged to put the theory into practice by building a simple guitar practice amplifier. The course employs high-school level algebra and trigonometry, no calculus is required.

Course Syllabus
Week 1

Lesson 1: Introduction to oscillations and sound waves, simple oscillating systems, sound pressure, sound waves, the speed of sound, wavelength, frequency and pitch, sound pressure level, loudness, making sound, properties of musical sound versus noise

Lesson 2: Electronics fundamentals - charge, current, voltage, power, resistance, Ohms law, DC circuits, finding currents and voltages in simple circuits

Week 2

Lesson 1: Reflection and absorption of sound, resonances in air columns, resonances in enclosures and rooms, diffraction and diffusion of sound, reverberation, principles of designing a good music studio

Lesson 2: AC signals, phase and complex numbers, capacitors, inductors, transformers, impedance, AC circuits and AC circuit analysis, simple filters (high-pass, low-pass, band-pass)

Week 3

Lesson 1: Transistors, vacuum tubes, opamps, amplification, power gain, single-stage amplifiers

Lesson 2: Converting sound to electrical signals microphones and guitar pickups, converting electrical signals to sound loudspeakers

Week 4

Lesson 1: Electric guitar electronics, pickup design, pickup placement and tone, volume control circuits, tone control circuits

Lesson 2: Overview of a simple guitar amplifier, power supply, volume control, preamp, tone control, power amp section

Week 5

Lesson 1: Designing speaker enclosures, basic principles, interaction of speaker driver with the cabinet, why a cabinet at all?

Lesson 2: Speaker designs for home stereo, crossover networks, guitar amplifier (open) speaker enclosures, bass amplifier (closed and vented) speaker enclosures

Week 6

Lesson 1: Building the guitar amplifier, how to solder, getting the amp to work - systematic testing and troubleshooting

Lesson 2: Visualizing sound waves, frequency content and tone, signal modification in electro-acoustic systems, tube amplifiers and distortion, wah pedal, talk box

Recommended Background
Students at any level with basic high school math preparation (algebra and trigonometry)

Suggested Readings
Readings will be provided online.

Course Format
The class will consist of lecture videos, which are between 12-15 minutes in length. These contain 1-2 integrated quiz questions per video. There will also be standalone homeworks that are not part of video lectures, and students are encouraged to put the theory into practice through a class project, building an electric guitar amplifier.

FAQ
Will I get a Statement of Accomplishment after completing this class?

Yes. Students who successfully complete the class will receive a Statement of Accomplishment signed by the instructors.

What resources will I need for this class?

If students choose to build the project, basic hand tools and a soldering iron will be required. Students will also have to purchase the required electronic components.

What is the coolest thing I'll learn if I take this class?

You will learn how a guitar amplifier works and you'll have the satisfaction of building your own working amplifier.

No- this is free.
I've been taking it, but it's not very well structured or clear, in my opinion. There are two professors, talking about acoustics and electronics respectively. There is no clear flow in topics- they seem to jump around quite randomly.

As a contrast, this Berklee course on music production https://www.coursera.org/course/musicproduction, was excellent, and recommended even to music listeners and audiophiles.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back