Gainclone vs Tripath T Amps Vs Nelson Pass F5

Update: The layout of the MyRef RevC Version 1.3 PCB is more or less complete, barring some last minute cosmetic tweaks. I have generated a full set of Gerber and Drill files, which I will be sending off to the local PCB fab for evaluation this week. If it is suitable for manufacturing within their design rules, I will sign off on building the first batch some time this week. Note that they may still want a different/additional set of files, or may find the layout or drill set too unwieldy for their process, so it's not guaranteed that there will be closure this week.

I have also sent the Gerbers and Drill files to Uriah @ diyaudio for evaluation. If it is found suitable, he may also offer the Version 1.3 boards for purchase from his website eventually. The advantage will be streamlined web-based ordering with PayPal, and most probably higher-quality PCBs with immersion gold finish. However, the cost of shipping from the US to individual addresses here will be higher.

DIYers are welcome to purchase the bare PCBs from any source. The component sets (kits) that I plan to offer should work on any Version 1.3 PCB. I have almost all the passives ordered and should have enough material for 20+ monoblock kits (10+ stereo sets) by early August.

Pre-assembled modules will take too much of my time, so the initial value-priced kits will be parts-only. If there's sufficient interest in pre-assembled modules at a higher price, I'll consider offering them at a later date. Likewise, for a premium BoM with higher-end components.

LinuxGuru, have been closely following your posts in diyAudio re. this board and am very impressed by the way you have gained respect there. It's a tough crowd out there so :clapping:

Last edited:
Assembled modules will probably be too much work - interested Group Buy kit buyers should try to make arrangements with friends or DIYers in their own city to get their kits assembled. It's not difficult, just time consuming.

Meanwhile, the layout is coming along nicely - still have some general cleanup and last-minute touches to apply before freezing it and extracting the final Gerbers.

Can you post some specs and pics of the units ? :rolleyes:

LinuxGuru, have been closely following your posts in diyAudio re. this board and am very impressed in the way you have gained respect there. It's a tough crowd out there so :clapping:

Thanks, Keith. I figured that the best way to gain credibility there, was not to engage in a flame war, but simply make improvements to the design and post it there for anybody to look at, offer feedback and use. That way, the perception that Indians/Chinese merely make cheap knock-off versions of Western designs would be softened a bit and more participation would occur. It seems to have worked, and most of the major earlier contributors to optimizing the MyRef - Dario, Bill P, Tom E, Andrew T, Uriah and others, came on board and offered suggestions for improving the layout.

The net result was a better layout in shorter time than I alone could have come up with. If it actually ends up sounding audibly better than the (already very good) Version 1.2 layout, that will be the icing on the cake.

Can you post some specs and pics of the units ?

There are a whole bunch of threads at DiyAudio on Mauro Penasa's MyRef topology and amplifiers based on it. Here are a few:

My "audiophile" LM3886 approach - diyAudio

MyRefC build guide - diyAudio

The new "My Ref" Rev C thread - diyAudio

It suffices to say that the specs don't do justice to its remarkable sonics. FWIW, according to my simulations, it is capable of less than -100 dB distortion (THD20) at 20W into 8 ohms, mostly even-harmonic. Continuous RMS power is ~40W into 8 ohms with the recommended +/- 32V rails. It is unconditionally stable into extremely difficult loads - it will happily drive a 1000uF capacitor at the output without instability, although the LM3886 output-stage will go into current-limiting (but without oscillation) into that kind of load. For all kinds of 'normal' speaker + cable loads, including electrostatic panels, it has no problems whatsoever.

I have prototype monoblocks built with the Twisted Pear Audio Version 1.2 PCBs, of which I'll post pictures later. My own improvements to the PCB, called Version 1.3, are ready, but the PCB is not yet fabricated - maybe within another 2 weeks if all goes well.

Last edited:
Linuxguru,

Kudos to you & your efforts, you are truly leading the way for others to do something better. Will be eagerly waiting for the pictures of the final outcome of your efforts & review as well.

Regards

LinuxGuru, have been closely following your posts in diyAudio re. this board and am very impressed in the way you have gained respect there. It's a tough crowd out there so :clapping:
+1 Keith

Well Done Linuxguru. Very much impressed.
Regards

linux/hiten/keith: This is getting interesting. Can I suggest you guys create a new thread to discuss this instead of this vs vs vs thread so the info is diluted?

I've been following the DIY thread too over the last few days too and I was impressed! Made me not dilly-dally and decide I was going to build one anyways!

Awaiting the grand announcement!! :eek:hyeah:

Cheers

Can I suggest you guys create a new thread to discuss this instead of this vs vs vs thread so the info is diluted?

+1 to that. I had not read the thread initially as the thread name didn't sound interesting. Infact, this brings to focus, the option of changing the thread title according to the content and direction of the thread. Many such instances where the content & direction of the threads have changed drastically which made the thread title irrelevant.

linux/hiten/keith: This is getting interesting. Can I suggest you guys create a new thread to discuss this instead of this vs vs vs thread so the info is diluted?
That would be great for the DIY community.
Edit : Meanwhile interested people can get all the information in three links provided by Linuxguru in Post #145
Regds.

Last edited:
If there is enough interest, I can try and negotiate a group discount for the trannys needed. I have to order a 630 VA toroidal for my 5 channel amp in the near future, and should there be enough people-normal quantity at Miracle for a bulk discount is 10 units- I'm willing to give it a shot.

George

If there is enough interest, I can try and negotiate a group discount for the trannys needed. I have to order a 630 VA toroidal for my 5 channel amp in the near future, and should there be enough people-normal quantity at Miracle for a bulk discount is 10 units- I'm willing to give it a shot.

George

Thank you much George! Might be exactly what some need.

George

Miracle is significantly more expensive. We should also try out few other options.

Sorry - I was down with a viral (maybe H1N1/A) for the last seven days, and I wouldn't wish it on anyone. I've had typhoid, hepatitis, and all kinds of other stuff, but this was by far the worst.

Anyway, to get back to the topic - it will will still take 2-3 weeks to get the PCB layout finalized and signed off for manufacturing. At the moment, I can barely walk, but I'll use the slippage in the schedule to do some minor PCB optimizations related to drill sizes, etc. Luckily, I can use my laptop on my sick-bed.

I'll now create a new thread for the GB and link this thread in the first post for reference.

Sorry - I was down with a viral (maybe H1N1/A) for the last seven days, and I wouldn't wish it on anyone. I've had typhoid, hepatitis, and all kinds of other stuff, but this was by far the worst.

Anyway, to get back to the topic - it will will still take 2-3 weeks to get the PCB layout finalized and signed off for manufacturing. At the moment, I can barely walk, but I'll use the slippage in the schedule to do some minor PCB optimizations related to drill sizes, etc. Luckily, I can use my laptop on my sick-bed.

I'll now create a new thread for the GB and link this thread in the first post for reference.

Get well soon. I would say, dont rush this when you are feeling feeble.

The energy you have when conceptualizing matters in the final outcome - in many subtle ways :) But not to mean in a selfish way.

Hope you feel better at the earliest!

Cheers

Take care and get well soon!

Siva,

Get well soon.... May those virals stay away from you forever.....(prayers)

Kittu

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back