Gainclone vs Tripath T Amps Vs Nelson Pass F5

Did you ask Russ yet or are you going to wait for the proto to be done before you do?

I haven't contacted Russ yet. Actually, I'm not redistributing his PCBs, but I have used his version 1.2 layout (which he posted at a public forum) as the starting point for my re-design. I am attributing his name on the silkscreen, below Mauro Penasa's, but above mine. I believe it is in good faith - my changes are an improvement to his (already excellent) layout.

I also made a good faith attempt to purchase the TPA version 1.2 PCBs (through Uriah) for redistribution, but the deal couldn't go through due to factors outside of my control.

On a related note: I think I've found good substitutes for the relatively expensive Nichicon Muse KZ that I used for the LM3886 bypass on the first prototype. These are Nichicon/Taicon HD, 105 c low-ESR aqueous electrolytic caps. They're not specifically designed for audio, but they have excellent specs (e.g. 5000-hour endurance at 105 centigrade vs. 1000-hour endurance at 85 c for the KZ) and are easily available locally. It only remains to test them in-circuit and ensure that there's no audible regression, which I'm confident about.

@ Denom ~ Actually I am not in Group Buy, as my priorities have changed :sad:. But lets see...

@ Linuxguru
~ Since we are making PCBs and not importing one, the cost will come down, right ?
~ Can one make regular copper plated PCB along with gold plated one ?
~ What will be the rough estimate of PCB+quality components or PCB+regular components?
~ I am OK with whatever mods you are doing for improving this amp. What is the difference you are making to Mauro's Reference C amp ? (Please use simple language.:eek:)
~ Can we combine power regulator circuit and amp circuit on one pcb ?
~ Can one connect Direct line out from CD Player ?
~ When you are done with mods and satisfied with result You can start separate thread for Group Buy and get more DIYrs because this would be a fantastic audiophile amp. There is lots of praise for LM3886 chip and Mauros reference C amp.
Thanks

~ Since we are making PCBs and not importing one, the cost will come down, right ?
~ Can one make regular copper plated PCB along with gold plated one ?

The original Twisted Pear board was priced at $7 each + shipping, which made the landed price in India about $30 for a pair. My board is larger in area, at roughly 15 sq. inches and the cost at low volumes (25 units) will be about Rs.20/sq. inch + NRE of ~Rs.100 per board. So it's about Rs.400/board in costs, which is actually higher than the Twisted Pear board. I haven't got pricing for the immersion gold finish, which may increase the cost per board.

Say a maximum of Rs.500 per bare board in low to medium volumes. The price will be lower at high volumes, but volumes aren't guaranteed for a DIY project, so I'll have to stay with small batches initially.

~ What will be the rough estimate of PCB+quality components or PCB+regular components?

I'm committed to keeping the component BoM for the regular (value) build at Rs.1k per channel or less. This will include everything on the PCB except the big electrolytics (easily sourced anywhere) and the heatsink. Uriah's Diyaudio GB for the Ultimate BoM (~$68) also omitted the electrolytics and heatsink for similar reasons. Add Rs.500 for the PCB, and it comes to Rs.1.5k/channel.

The BoM for ultra-premium components can go through the sky - there's no upper limit. If you use Black Gate FKs for the main PSU electrolytics, it will be ~$980 for those two caps alone. There are numerous premium input caps that run to $100+ each, and boutique resistors (Riken, Kiwame, Shinkoh, Caddock, etc.) that cost $10+ each.

The aim is to use good enough components for most items, and concentrate the premium components where it will make the most audible improvement. My Value BoM has some components that are superior to the Ultimate BoM - for instance, I have two silver micas for C10 and C34 which have been confirmed independently by Dario to be an audible improvement as compared to the Ultimate BoM (he found this independently, even before I posted the Value BoM).

The cost of those silver micas is moderately high (say Rs.15-25 each) compared to janata-quality AEC disk ceramics (25 paise each), but it's worth the money. OTOH, I'm not going to use a $10 Rubycon Black Gate for C9 in the Ultimate BoM, even though I know that it might be superior - there's no way to source it in quantity in India, regardless of price.

~ I am OK with whatever mods you are doing for improving this amp. What is the difference you are making to Mauro's Reference C amp ? (Please use simple language.:eek:)

I'm retaining the exact same circuit schematic, but a few component types and values may change as outlined above. The PCB layout has been changed incrementally to fix some problems in the old layout. The main changes are:

1) Larger footprints (more space) for certain components, to allow better or more easily obtained components to be substituted, either now or in the future.

2) Improved star grounding and ground separation between the large signal and small-signal sections.

3) Better trace routing to reduce pickup and interference from the large-signal and small-signal sections.

4) Changes in component placement for similar reasons as above.

~ Can we combine power regulator circuit and amp circuit on one pcb ?
~ Can one connect Direct line out from CD Player ?

It doesn't need a power regulator - 24-0-24 from the main transformer is connected directly to each board. The board does have the bridge rectifier and PSU filter caps already on-board.

Yes, the input is high-impedance (~100k), line-level (< 1V), which should be fine for most CD players with a line-out or a headphone out. I'm testing it with a PC sound card line out, and it's fine at those levels.

~ When you are done with mods and satisfied with result You can start separate thread for Group Buy

Will do - right now I'm focusing on completing the PCB layout and getting the Gerbers out to the PCB fabrication house. Once that's out of the way, I can get back to component selection and sourcing. There are now only 2 components for which I don't have a reliable source locally:

1. A box-type Wima FKP or MKP series polypropylene cap, 0.1 uF, 100V or higher. This can be subtituted by a Wima MKS-3 or Evox MMK polyester, for both of which I have sources locally. I've tested the MKS-3, and it's adequate for now.

2: A 150 pF, 300V or higher Silver Mica or NP0/C0G ceramic capacitor (C32). A difficult one, mainly because of the value - 100pF and 220pF are readily available.

Last edited:
Linuxguru,

when will the amp be fully built up & ready for listening plus what will be the final cost of the fully built amp?

when will the amp be fully built up & ready for listening plus what will be the final cost of the fully built amp?

I already have two working boards (with slightly different component selections) using the the Twisted Pear boards from the diyaudio group buys - it is already validated and confirmed to work well with my Value BoM component selection.

A fully built amp will require a cabinet and chassis components, transformer (EI or toroidal), connectors, cables, switch, and electrolytics, in addition to the two monoblock boards. Those items will cost anywhere from Rs.1k upwards, depending on the quality and workmanship.

The base cost of a fully-built MyRef Rev C would therefore be Rs.4k, minimum.

I already have two working boards (with slightly different component selections) using the the Twisted Pear boards from the diyaudio group buys - it is already validated and confirmed to work well with my Value BoM component selection.

A fully built amp will require a cabinet and chassis components, transformer (EI or toroidal), connectors, cables, switch, and electrolytics, in addition to the two monoblock boards. Those items will cost anywhere from Rs.1k upwards, depending on the quality and workmanship.

The base cost of a fully-built MyRef Rev C would therefore be Rs.4k, minimum.

Wow, thats fantastic. Now the question pertinent to me is that can this amp deliver the goods as far as playing Hard Rock/Metal Genres of music??? If so then I would surely be interested in going in for 1....

Wow, thats fantastic. Now the question pertinent to me is that can this amp deliver the goods as far as playing Hard Rock/Metal Genres of music??? If so then I would surely be interested in going in for 1....

At this price, just go for it. Any potential Norge or budget seeker will buy from you if it doesn't suit your tastes. As long as you do a good job with the Chassis and finish....

Sent from my iPod touch

At this price, just go for it. Any potential Norge or budget seeker will buy from you if it doesn't suit your tastes. As long as you do a good job with the Chassis and finish....

Sent from my iPod touch

Ok Boss!!!

Question is who will sell me a fully built up amp??? Linuxguru or You???:rolleyes:
Confirm the same & I shall confirm purchase of the same - wow, gobble you've got me hooked to the rhyming biz as well:eek:hyeah:

On a serious note, what is this amp called? Gainclone or Tripath or F5??? Am totally :confused: Also, Power ratings per channel?

Ok Boss!!!

Question is who will sell me a fully built up amp??? Linuxguru or You???:rolleyes:
Confirm the same & I shall confirm purchase of the same - wow, gobble you've got me hooked to the rhyming biz as well:eek:hyeah:

On a serious note, what is this amp called? Gainclone or Tripath or F5??? Am totally :confused: Also, Power ratings per channel?

Since I also intend to build pass F5, I may let go of one amp depending on what fits into my setup ... :)

Unless Linuxguru is willing to make one for you exclusively!

cheers

Await reply from linuxguru then... also await details of the power rating per channel....

Still uninformed about the type of amp viz gainclone/tripath/passF5 ....

Any answer would be subjective. Would also depend on what is upstream & downstream.

Unless Linuxguru is willing to make one for you exclusively!
Make an amp or assemble the boards? :licklips:

also await details of the power rating per channel....
Already covered here

Still uninformed about the type of amp viz gainclone/tripath/passF5
Gainclone. See broad definition here

Last edited:
I have to change my status from confirmed to tentative at the moment. As to why, I will explain next week.

Sorry for the Dilly-Dally! :eek:

Edit: However there is a good chance my colleague at work will want one!!

--Gobble

Any answer would be subjective. Would also depend on what is upstream & downstream.

Make an amp or assemble the boards? :licklips:

Already covered here

Gainclone. See broad definition here

Thanks Keith.
What about controlling the volume??? Does this type of amp have no volume knob? What if the source has no volume control either??

I have to change my status from confirmed to tentative at the moment. As to why, I will explain next week.

DON'T! Even if you don't want to build one now, take it & keep in on ice. For what you may get - you will have to spend sh**loads of moolah for similar.

Last edited:
For the MyRef, Mauro recommended a 10K log stereo pot for the volume control. I used a 50K, and it works for me.
Because you say "it works for me" I assume that it worked for you with your MyRef. Can you please post impressions?

DON'T! Even if you don't want to build one now, take it & keep in on ice. For what you may get - you will have to spend sh**loads of moolah for similar.

Well I had planned on an F5 so the GC will be unnecessary. Besides, I am also researching my first tube mono amp for daily listening. If the F5 gets too hot for summer, I will make do with the toob.

Anyways I will take the call only next week.

Cheers

1) Larger footprints (more space) for certain components, to allow better or more easily obtained components to be substituted, either now or in the future.
2) Improved star grounding and ground separation between the large signal and small-signal sections.
3) Better trace routing to reduce pickup and interference from the large-signal and small-signal sections.
4) Changes in component placement for similar reasons as above.
Wow ! you are fine tuning already a good amp. What can be done to sell ready modules without increasing the price ? I think then lots of members will be interested.
Regards.

What can be done to sell ready modules without increasing the price ? I think then lots of members will be interested.
Regards.

Assembled modules will probably be too much work - interested Group Buy kit buyers should try to make arrangements with friends or DIYers in their own city to get their kits assembled. It's not difficult, just time consuming.

Meanwhile, the layout is coming along nicely - still have some general cleanup and last-minute touches to apply before freezing it and extracting the final Gerbers.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back