Gainclone vs Tripath T Amps Vs Nelson Pass F5

I was thinking we ship 10 pieces in one bundle at reduced shipping charges ...

I'll ask Uriah if he will permit me to buy 10 or more of his bare PCBs to be resold in a bundle with my BoM as a kit. If he permits it, I'll source the PCBs from him and include it in the kit. If he nixes it, each individual kit builder will have to source it from him directly.

IIRC, the bare PCB was around $7 each. Shipping was about $15 for up to 6 PCBs, thus making it around $10 per PCB, amortized. That sounds expensive, but this is a high-quality double-sided PTH board with immersion gold plating on all pads and vias - well worth the money, IMHO.

It will run to around $30 shipped for a pair of bare PCBs from Uriah. IMHO, it's the worth the money, even though shipping almost doubles the price of the PCBs.

Hi

Which of the above statements is correct? 1st statement says $10 per PCB so it should be $20 for a pair i guess. But the second one says $30 for a pair.:confused:

Which of the above statements is correct? 1st statement says $10 per PCB so it should be $20 for a pair i guess. But the second one says $30 for a pair.:confused:

It's $7 per PCB plus $15-and-change (probably more now, after USPS rate increaes last week) for shipping up to 6 (maybe more) PCBs directly from the US.

If you buy 6, it works out to $42 + $15 sh. = $57 total = $9.50 per PCB shipped to a single address in India.

If you buy 2, it works out to $14 + $15 sh. = $29 total = $14.50 per PCB shipped to a single address in India.

It's just an issue of amortizing shipping costs over as many PCBs as possible. The USPS M-Bag surface rate will be the best deal, if available.

-Siva

I'll ask Uriah if he will permit me to buy 10 or more of his bare PCBs to be resold in a bundle with my BoM as a kit. If he permits it, I'll source the PCBs from him and include it in the kit. If he nixes it, each individual kit builder will have to source it from him directly.

So you are planning a value BoM? How many want the original BoM as on diyaudio?

Just a quick check.

Regards

OK, I think it will get to the minimum of 10 mono kits that was the bare minimum to make it viable - the group buy is on. I'll post the details about the final BoM, pricing, payment, etc. in due course - may take a few weeks to finalize the BoM. This group buy is for India only.

Ideally, I'd like to redesign the boards to allow the use of larger components (in particular, 35mm diameter electrolytics and 2W resistors like the Kiwame at certain locations), but this will certainly ruffle a lot of feathers at Diyaudio. There's a prevailing view in certain sections there that it's their design, pristine and perfect, and any modifications will violate IP and debase the design, etc.

Therefore, to avoid ruffling feathers among the folks at DIYaudio who contributed to designing and refining this beautiful amp, I won't redesign and offer the bare PCBs here. I'd suggest buying the existing Twisted Pear MyRef boards directly from Uriah Dailey (link posted earlier), who has permission to sell them from Mauro Penasa (designer of the MyRef) and Russ White (designer of the PCB). It will run to around $30 shipped for a pair of bare PCBs from Uriah. IMHO, it's the worth the money, even though shipping almost doubles the price of the PCBs.

Siva - what I think should be done is this:

Contact Uriah and get contact details from him of Russ & Mauro.
Contact Mauro and get permission for this GB of his amp design.
Contact Russ and get permission for modifying/redesigning his board layout for components available here or for optimized components in Siva's opinion.
Get the PCB's made here.

I know it will take more time and may not save much money but will make life easier for all. IMO, it's worth a try.

Contact Uriah and get contact details from him of Russ & Mauro.
Contact Mauro and get permission for this GB of his amp design.

I have PM'ed Uriah to ask if I can buy the Twisted Pear PCBs
from him and offer it for resale, either individually or as part of
a kit in a Group Buy.

I've also emailed Mauro for permission to redesign a PCB based
on his original MyRef RevC schematics, with minor modifications.

I'll await their replies before deciding on the next course of action.

-Siva

So you are planning a value BoM? How many want the original BoM as on diyaudio?

The Ultimate BoM (premium BoM) offered by Uriah had some difficult-to-source components, including a Rubycon Black Gate, an Obbligato input cap, some Silmics, WIMA MKPs, a whole lot of precision MFRs, etc., and cost about $60/ch. AFAIK, he has already sold all his kits but has bare PCBs left.

It will be unviable to offer Uriah's Ultimate BoM in small quantities in India - there will be no price breaks on the Black Gates and Obbligatos, for instance, and there's no way to source these locally.

I would like to offer a Value BoM that can be used to populate the bare PCBs, using components that are easier to source in India. This will be less expensive, and I will ensure that the compromises on Audio quality are minimal. Those who want to use premium components are free to source and upgrade some or all the components of the Value BoM as they see fit.

Option

If buying the boards from Uriah is the way we will go, one option is to ask someone who is coming from the US to get the boards for us. Will save shipping costs.

Siva, you are saying "re-design a PCB". What existing design [PCB layout] do you intend modifying?

OK, I think it will get to the minimum of 10 mono kits that was the bare minimum to make it viable - the group buy is on. I'll post the details about the final BoM, pricing, payment, etc. in due course - may take a few weeks to finalize the BoM. This group buy is for India only.

It's $7 per PCB plus $15-and-change (probably more now, after USPS rate increaes last week) for shipping up to 6 (maybe more) PCBs directly from the US.

If you buy 6, it works out to $42 + $15 sh. = $57 total = $9.50 per PCB shipped to a single address in India.

If you buy 2, it works out to $14 + $15 sh. = $29 total = $14.50 per PCB shipped to a single address in India.

It's just an issue of amortizing shipping costs over as many PCBs as possible. The USPS M-Bag surface rate will be the best deal, if available.

I thought we already had buyers for the minimum number of kits as I saw a few posts asking them to be counted.

OK then, i suggest that you take firm commitment from those interested. Probably they can deposit the required money in Siva's account.

This is just a suggestion. Hope everyone agrees:)

I thought we already had buyers for the minimum number of kits as I saw a few posts asking them to be counted.

OK then, i suggest that you take firm commitment from those interested. Probably they can deposit the required money in Siva's account.

This is just a suggestion. Hope everyone agrees:)

Agreed but we're still some way off before we start doing that.

The Ultimate BoM (premium BoM) offered by Uriah had some difficult-to-source components, including a Rubycon Black Gate, an Obbligato input cap, some Silmics, WIMA MKPs, a whole lot of precision MFRs, etc., and cost about $60/ch. AFAIK, he has already sold all his kits but has bare PCBs left.

It will be unviable to offer Uriah's Ultimate BoM in small quantities in India - there will be no price breaks on the Black Gates and Obbligatos, for instance, and there's no way to source these locally.

I would like to offer a Value BoM that can be used to populate the bare PCBs, using components that are easier to source in India. This will be less expensive, and I will ensure that the compromises on Audio quality are minimal. Those who want to use premium components are free to source and upgrade some or all the components of the Value BoM as they see fit.

Kewl! I will go along with whatevers convenient. I haven't done much homework in the Gainclone. Quick questions: Is it only a power section or an integrated? Whats the rms per channel?

All I know is I want to upgrade .... hence my interest :)

Regards

I haven't done much homework in the Gainclone. Quick questions: Is it only a power section or an integrated? Whats the rms per channel?
I think it will not require a preamplifier and output is around 68W.

You can use it with an active pre as well as with a passive pre. Your GG pre should work fine.

I meant the kit should have a facility for taking a pre-out and a main-in .... right? Without that i would be using a double pre ...

Regards

OK, so how were you folks plannng to use it without a pre? Does it have a volume control? Obviously I dont want one ...

Hi Gobble,

You can use it with your GG pre. Actually, if you don't want to connect the amp to more than one source, you could use a potentio meter to control the gain from the source to the amp. That is what I'm doing right now.

Infact, there is an even better way of doing this by using a LDR (Light Speed Attenuator) by which, you can control gain by changing the resistance using an LED. There is someone in Australia by the name George who supplies these. I'm corresponding with him.

I'm expecting our tech member linuxguru chip in here with his comments.:)

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back