Gainclone vs Tripath T Amps Vs Nelson Pass F5

Nice!! so a car rim is your giant heatsink? :) Do you have a page translation of the blog?

Regards

Hi Gobble,

Google automatically prompts me to translate the page after it has finished loading in Firefox. This might be a Google toolbar feature.

Hi Gobble,

Google automatically prompts me to translate the page after it has finished loading in Firefox. This might be a Google toolbar feature.

I tried google translate ... sigh! Didn't get far into the children's fairy tale ... :)

"At the entrance and then out beyond the mountains around the outside of Dong ?? far. ?????????????????????????????? F5 Amp ?????????????????????????? 55 .....?????????????????????????????? Beat back into the process of creating F5 Amp typical homeless better than my 55 plate ..... Princess circuit pattern "

Cheers

Last edited:
I tried google translate ... sigh! Didn't get far into the children's fairy tale ... :)

"At the entrance and then out beyond the mountains around the outside of Dong ?? far. ?????????????????????????????? F5 Amp ?????????????????????????? 55 .....?????????????????????????????? Beat back into the process of creating F5 Amp typical homeless better than my 55 plate ..... Princess circuit pattern "

Cheers

hahahahahah.. cheers to that :)

gobble Nice!! so a car rim is your giant heatsink? Do you have a page translation of the blog?

Regards

I am not good English Language. Google Translator, which I am very hard to assist me at this

gobble Nice!! so a car rim is your giant heatsink? Do you have a page translation of the blog?

Regards

I am not good English Language. Google Translator, which I am very hard to assist me at this

No probl. Although we are unable to read the page translation properly, we all appreciate the effort you have taken.

Sent from my iPod touch

May be out of topic,
A DIY heatsink could be Aluminium sliding door frames \ profiles, each 1ft length. Two or three stacked on the sides will give a commercial heat sink look also.

I just got one channel of a Mauro Penasia MyRef RevC gainclone assembled and running - and I have to say: Wow!

It easily trumps the Symasym on most aspects of audible sonics and detail. The version I built is actually my own Value BoM with lower parts cost, so it's possible that a premium BoM will actually be even better. I'll switch some parts for premium parts in due course, but this gainclone is easily the finest amp I've ever heard or built - kudos to Mauro, Dario, Tom, and everybody else on Diyaudio who helped refine this little $50 gainclone into something that can easily dominate $50k audiophile amps.

I just got one channel of a Mauro Penasia MyRef RevC gainclone assembled and running - and I have to say: Wow!

It easily trumps the Symasym on most aspects of audible sonics and detail. The version I built is actually my own Value BoM with lower parts cost, so it's possible that a premium BoM will actually be even better. I'll switch some parts for premium parts in due course, but this gainclone is easily the finest amp I've ever heard or built - kudos to Mauro, Dario, Tom, and everybody else on Diyaudio who helped refine this little $50 gainclone into something that can easily dominate $50k audiophile amps.

Pant! Pant! Pant! Where can I get one? :licklips:

Is there a group buy for the parts on diyaudio or is the seller still selling?

Regards

Pant! Pant! Pant! Where can I get one? :licklips:

Is there a group buy for the parts on diyaudio or is the seller still selling?

There was a group buy for kits that was just concluded a few months ago - Uriah (udailey@diyaudio) offered kits at ~$60/ch + shipping. These have probably run out, but he still has ~50 bare PCBs available. Email or PM him directly - here's a link to his online ordering page (disclaimer: I have no connection to this except as a satisfied buyer):

Uriah Dailey

I'm putting together a Value BoM (which differs from the premium BoM offered on DIYaudio, primarily in a few premium components), which I can offer if there's sufficient interest here or on diyaudio. The Value BoM will contain key components, but not the bare PCB itself, which may be ordered directly from Uriah.

Hi Linuxguru, Lucky you.
So how much did it cost (one channel) ? I think PCB only was 20$ right ?
thanks

Edit: That $7 pcb will cost like $7 to ship making it $15!! :eek:

A group buy will be better.

Last edited:
Which $50K amp are you comparing it to? Also specs please..

The only $50k amp I've heard is a Goldmund Mimesis, which was many years ago. In my recollection, it was very good - predominantly smooth, warm and laid-back, but it was not as detailed and accurate as Mauro's MyRef RevC in most incarnations.

Specifications have no significance at the high-end; everything turns on sonics. However, my simulations with LTSpice show that this topology is capable of distortion of less than -100 dB THD20 at 20W into 8 ohms, predominantly 2nd harmonic. All odd harmonics beyond the 5th drop off rapidly below the noise floor, leaving only a train of even harmonics. It combines tube-type sonics with chipamp-type power delivery and opamp-type distortion, frequency response and accuracy - in other words, the best of all worlds.

So how much did it cost (one channel) ? I think PCB only was 20$ right ?

IIRC, the bare PCB was around $7 each. Shipping was about $15 for up to 6 PCBs, thus making it around $10 per PCB, amortized. That sounds expensive, but this is a high-quality double-sided PTH board with immersion gold plating on all pads and vias - well worth the money, IMHO.

If there's interest, I can consider offering either a premium BoM, closer to what Uriah offered, or a Value BoM, which will be similar to what I have populated on the first build.

The Value BoM, per channel, will run to around Rs.1k per channel, and it is dominated by a few components for which there may be less expensive alternatives. For instance, it may be possible to substitute the Nichicon Muse KZ that I'm using with less expensive Panasonic, Rubycon or Elna alternatives. The value BoM is still being refined, with feedback from Diyaudio members as well as my own experimentation, so the pricing may change in either direction.

That sounds expensive, but this is a high-quality double-sided PTH board with immersion gold plating on all pads and vias - well worth the money, IMHO.
No doubt about it. Totally agree with you. From what I read in DIYAUDIO thread each and every component is no compromise deal. Technically very well thought of and implemented. What they have done is improved an already fantastic gainclone topology a few notches higher.

Wish I had the money. :sad:

The Value BoM, per channel, will run to around Rs.1k per channel, and it is dominated by a few components for which there may be less expensive alternatives. For instance, it may be possible to substitute the Nichicon Muse KZ that I'm using with less expensive Panasonic, Rubycon or Elna alternatives. The value BoM is still being refined, with feedback from Diyaudio members as well as my own experimentation, so the pricing may change in either direction.

I ordered and got the Premium BoM kit from Uriah but haven't got around to building this yet. LinuxGuru - I read your and Dario's exchanges on diyAudio and once your BoM is refined enough to your satisfaction, please, please do offer this as a kit here & on diyAudio. IMO, it will be a BIG hit. For ~Rs.1500 per channel it would be a steal especially to us Indians because we would be able to save on shipping.

Last edited:
IIRC, the bare PCB was around $7 each. Shipping was about $15 for up to 6 PCBs, thus making it around $10 per PCB, amortized. That sounds expensive, but this is a high-quality double-sided PTH board with immersion gold plating on all pads and vias - well worth the money, IMHO.

If there's interest, I can consider offering either a premium BoM, closer to what Uriah offered, or a Value BoM, which will be similar to what I have populated on the first build.

If there is going to be group buy, count me in. I wont mind the premium BoM.

Regards

OK, I think it will get to the minimum of 10 mono kits that was the bare minimum to make it viable - the group buy is on. I'll post the details about the final BoM, pricing, payment, etc. in due course - may take a few weeks to finalize the BoM. This group buy is for India only.

Ideally, I'd like to redesign the boards to allow the use of larger components (in particular, 35mm diameter electrolytics and 2W resistors like the Kiwame at certain locations), but this will certainly ruffle a lot of feathers at Diyaudio. There's a prevailing view in certain sections there that it's their design, pristine and perfect, and any modifications will violate IP and debase the design, etc.

Therefore, to avoid ruffling feathers among the folks at DIYaudio who contributed to designing and refining this beautiful amp, I won't redesign and offer the bare PCBs here. I'd suggest buying the existing Twisted Pear MyRef boards directly from Uriah Dailey (link posted earlier), who has permission to sell them from Mauro Penasa (designer of the MyRef) and Russ White (designer of the PCB). It will run to around $30 shipped for a pair of bare PCBs from Uriah. IMHO, it's the worth the money, even though shipping almost doubles the price of the PCBs.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back