Gainclone vs Tripath T Amps Vs Nelson Pass F5

Hi Kaushik
any idea where to get high quality capacitors ?
Thanks

panasonic FC available in mumbai , magma checked .
Here we get limited wima,elna (bigger one), RIFA,
nichicon, murata(small multilayer pf ), rubycon (all values) ,daewoo korea, vishay
nippon semicon,silver mica,polypropelene 400v types by RV(indian i guess)..

I got a hint that there are local vendors of high Q audio capacitors ,also seen very high end amps made diy way and sold, i dont think they will pay US pricing and buy the capacitors .. yet to discover the place.

Last edited:
lamington road
opposite goodman resataurant lane

however they dont have all values in pana

Hi,

i came across some diy amp at an audiophiles place, for some reason he was not interested to
reveal his amp builder..

Kaushik can I know who it is and what sort Amp it was (in private if its a problem) !! Want to check it out myself after reading what you've posted ;) !

Regards.

Hi,

Kaushik can I know who it is and what sort Amp it was (in private if its a problem) !! Want to check it out myself after reading what you've posted ;) !

Regards.

Ok pm me i will give the address :) anytime...

by the way what capacitors you used in your gainclone amp ? did you use locally available capacitors or 'via some friend' you have got good capacitors.

Last edited:
lamington road
opposite goodman resataurant lane

however they dont have all values in pana

Magma, any particular shop where you can get Panasonic caps there? Someone I know who was looking for caps went there after I told him about this location and came up with zilch. He told me that some of the shops he went to do sell in large quantities but no one seemed to cater to the little man.

Panasonic FCs are available occasionally in Bangalore, but I've seen only a few values (which I stock up anyway, since it usually runs out quickly): 2700uf/25v, 1000uF/25v, 470uF/25v, 100uF/25v, 150uF/63v, 1000uF/10v, 820uF/6.3v. It would be useful to find some more higher voltage (50v and 63v) caps, but they're scarce. No high value (1000 uF and higher) caps with voltage ratings that are suitable as PSU filter caps, either...

Panasonic M (GP, 85 degrees) seems to be more common, and a larger selection is available.

NEW @ LM833+LM3886 Amplifier Board @ Upgrade Version - eBay (item 130374412872 end time Mar-23-10 22:05:43 PDT)
Can anyone tell me if this ^ is nested gainclone from the schematics that is put up by the seller?

No, that's a buffered gainclone - which seems to be an improved 2nd generation version of the Yuanjing LM3886 + NE5532 buffered gainclone that has been selling at rock-bottom prices for a couple of years on EBay.

The new version has a blue silkscreen and uses LM833 opamps. It has better grounding than its predecessor, which had a red silkscreen and NE5532 opamps. It costs about 3x its predessor, assembled - $45 vs. $15.

The only nested gainclone on EBay seems to be the "Classic Lines" LM3886 + LM318 gainclone, which looks suspiciously similar to the Mauro Penasa Rev A stereo boards. That goes for about $52, assembled. The bare board is a better deal at $13.

Thanks Linuxguru appreciate this very much.
The only nested gainclone on EBay seems to be the "Classic Lines" LM3886 + LM318 gainclone,
I did asked the seller if it is nested gainclone, but he couldn't give the right answer.
Thanks again.

FWIW, the recent Group Buy for the Mauro Penasa MyRef Rev C with Ultimate BoM is moving ahead. Uriah has set up a shopping cart for PayPal purchases, and it should be activated within 24 hours.

Check the prices online before ordering, but AFAIK it runs to $63.45 per monoblock kit, and $13 s&h for international shipping for either a mono or stereo kit. That adds up to 2 x $63.45 + $13 = $139.90 shipped, for a stereo kit.

Moderately expensive, but it does include premium parts including Black Gates and some audiophile-grade input coupling caps. IMHO, it's worth the money.

Thanks Linuxguru I have been following that thread regularly. They are using best parts and every technical detail is thought of (though I don't understand them :eek:) This one will be one exclusive amp I say. Have PMed you.
Regards

Hiten

So did you order this one? I am looking at building a power amp as my next project hence am curious about the outcome. :)

Regards

Gobble,
No, It went overbudget for me. I think it went for about Rs. 6500 to Rs. 6800 including shipping.

Gobble,
No, It went overbudget for me. I think it went for about Rs. 6500 to Rs. 6800 including shipping.

Too bad. Sometimes life's priorities like housing loans and children s education can result in very strict disciplining on the budget front for other fancy hobbies like Audio.

And I suppose the group buy was not on for ever even if you decided to save and buy later ... !

regards

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back