Games For Nintendo Wii!

moserw

I am planning on picking up Nintendo Wii soon, but only problem is only 4 games are coming with the unit that too from the sports/Wii fitness package. Other Wii games are not available in the store either. Wondering about a good source for Wii games especially in Hyderabad or with shipping to Hyderabad. Any pointers would be much appreciated...

I am planning on picking up Nintendo Wii soon, but only problem is only 4 games are coming with the unit that too from the sports/Wii fitness package. Other Wii games are not available in the store either. Wondering about a good source for Wii games especially in Hyderabad or with shipping to Hyderabad. Any pointers would be much appreciated...

Many are available for download. Maybe you should know how to crack the player first;)

I am not sure in case of Wii; but similar thing was needed for the PS2. This involved a hardware mod - not a simple software crack.

I am not sure in case of Wii; but similar thing was needed for the PS2. This involved a hardware mod - not a simple software crack. And, obviously there would be no guarantees/warratnies!!

I am not sure in case of Wii; but similar thing was needed for the PS2. This involved a hardware mod - not a simple software crack. And, obviously there would be no guarantees/warratnies!!

Yup am aware of it. Problem is the non-availability of games is still an issue. Have checked a lot of shops, but very few stock any Wii games. I am thinking of going with PS3, at least games are available for it and also with replacing the HDD I will get a media center with lots of HDD space. It also supports USB and can play movies in 5.1. Wii on the other hand is great fun, but will not make any sense in the continuing absence of games and considering one cannot do anything else with it as a machine unlike the PS3. I only hope I will not have to get both with the WAF being all for the Wii even now.

Wii is filled with craploads of shovelware. I would advice you to stay off it unless you dig into games like mario kart and wii sports. Some of the guys I know sold off their wii after seeing it collecting dust with no good games around.

Wii is no doubt a good gaming console, but its primary use is in party gaming with 2-4 friends/family members. If you are the kind of gamer who likes halo/gta, stay clear of wii.

Also, I don't know if you know it already, but there are rumours of 80GB PS3 launching in India soon with a price tag in the range of 25k. This comes with a DS3 controller as well. So better to wait till next feb/mar, if you plan on getting a PS3.

Thanks for the updates vint. I do love GTA/Halo (though played it only on the PC) and tons of other FPS. The idea behind the Wii was for the physical fun part of it especially playing along with the family and friends. Otherwise I am a hardcore PC gamer and don't play much on consoles and really prefer the mouse. Nintendo for all its fun is so locked up and with such limited games. Even USB connectivity is so limited on it. A PS3 on the other hand will double up as a media center and for playing Blu-Ray rips and Blu-Ray discs even if its not used much for gaming itself.

Wii is filled with craploads of shovelware. I would advice you to stay off it unless you dig into games like mario kart and wii sports. Some of the guys I know sold off their wii after seeing it collecting dust with no good games around.

Wii is no doubt a good gaming console, but its primary use is in party gaming with 2-4 friends/family members. If you are the kind of gamer who likes halo/gta, stay clear of wii.

Not sure what you mean by 'shovelware'. Wii is targeted at a particular segment of gamers. It is actually targeted at the infrequent gamer or even the ordinary family member who has never tried his/her hand at games. In this area it easily bests any other console out there.

There are also very good games out there for this console. It all depends on one's own taste. I have an XBOX, a PS2 and a Wii and believe each have their own strengths.

Some of those Mario games on Wii can be great fun. Even the packaged games that come along with the Wii have a lot of replay value. There is a Rockstar Table Tennis game which is very strenuous and skill intensive if you like that sort of thing.

Horses for courses.

Not sure what you mean by 'shovelware'. Wii is targeted at a particular segment of gamers. It is actually targeted at the infrequent gamer or even the ordinary family member who has never tried his/her hand at games. In this area it easily bests any other console out there.

There are also very good games out there for this console. It all depends on one's own taste. I have an XBOX, a PS2 and a Wii and believe each have their own strengths.

Some of those Mario games on Wii can be great fun. Even the packaged games that come along with the Wii have a lot of replay value. There is a Rockstar Table Tennis game which is very strenuous and skill intensive if you like that sort of thing.

Horses for courses.

Thats the reason why I said, if you are the sort of guy who loves Halo/GTA, stay out of wii. Having all the 3 consoles is a plus, but now, we are all not that rich are we :p ?

Regarding shovelware - Shovelware are the cheap bargain titles that come out at $20 or less as their original retail but really are garbage games that never should be sold or purchased.

An example

Now don't get me wrong, there are definitely many people who enjoy such stuff. So be your own judge ;)

Thats the reason why I said, if you are the sort of guy who loves Halo/GTA, stay out of wii. Having all the 3 consoles is a plus, but now, we are all not that rich are we :p ?

Regarding shovelware - Shovelware are the cheap bargain titles that come out at $20 or less as their original retail but really are garbage games that never should be sold or purchased.

An example

Now don't get me wrong, there are definitely many people who enjoy such stuff. So be your own judge ;)

I do love high octane games such as Ninja Gaiden on the Xbox and PoP series on PS2 and God of War as well. But that does not preclude one from enjoying the sheer fun of the Wii.

Yes, there are differences. Huge differences. But then like I said, that is why it is horses for courses. I would not generalize and say that somebody who likes GTA/Halo will not like Wii. I guess it is more dependant on individual game titles. There are many games that I have not liked even one bit on the PS2 and the XBox.

Having played many Wii games I can tell you that genuine gaming enjoyment can be had with the Wii hardware. About the games, it depends on whether you choose 'shovelware' or any other titles. That said, I have not played the 'shovelware' being referred to.

Thanks for the updates vint. I do love GTA/Halo (though played it only on the PC) and tons of other FPS. The idea behind the Wii was for the physical fun part of it especially playing along with the family and friends. Otherwise I am a hardcore PC gamer and don't play much on consoles and really prefer the mouse. Nintendo for all its fun is so locked up and with such limited games. Even USB connectivity is so limited on it. A PS3 on the other hand will double up as a media center and for playing Blu-Ray rips and Blu-Ray discs even if its not used much for gaming itself.

Hi Moserw,
I have a Wii and my daughters aged 6 & 11 spend minimum 3 hours on Wii sport, Mario cart & Wii Fit. In terms of graphics & technology Wii is no match to XBOX or PS3. But in terms of gameplay, it is the opposite.

Don't forget to buy additional Wii remote otherwise single player is no fun. I am sure you will be fighting with your kids for your turn. I do :)

Wii has built in WiiFit and you and can buy games online using credit card. For 500 Wii points, you can buy opera channel and browse the net. You can also buy games & accessories from Nintendo Wii and Accessories

Hi Moserw,
I have a Wii and my daughters aged 6 & 11 spend minimum 3 hours on Wii sport, Mario cart & Wii Fit. In terms of graphics & technology Wii is no match to XBOX or PS3. But in terms of gameplay, it is the opposite.

Don't forget to buy additional Wii remote otherwise single player is no fun. I am sure you will be fighting with your kids for your turn. I do :)

Wii has built in WiiFit and you and can buy games online using credit card. For 500 Wii points, you can buy opera channel and browse the net. You can also buy games & accessories from Nintendo Wii and Accessories

Thanks John,

The WAF has kicked in so I will be getting both the Wii and the PS3. Wii games should hopefully be available here in Hyderabad in the coming days, at least that's what the Reliance guys said about stocking Wii games and also Wii accessories like the Wiimote and Nunchuk for additional players. As of now they are only giving one set with the Wii package and additional are not even available or sold separately.

Other Wii games are not available in the store either. Wondering about a good source for Wii games especially in Hyderabad or with shipping to Hyderabad. Any pointers would be much appreciated...

Try at Prasads multiplex ground floor near the stairs I saw a good collection of wii games when i was in hyderbad a couple of months back.
By the way my wii is given me a serious problem ,there is no video only audio ,can anybody tell me how to reset to factory setting ,it was working fine with my regular akai tv but later when i fixed it to my sammy lcd its not working and the regular tv also.

I am not an avid gamer. I have a Wii console that I brought from US. I make sure that I put about 30 mins on it. There are plenty of games that could leave you sweating and panting. I wouldn't know if Xbox or PS3 would do that for you. I have a "Wii Fit balance board" and "Active Life outdoor challenge". I know that Wii console can be hacked so that you could download free games. I haven't modded my Wii yet (I don't know how).

I have seen some Wii titles at National Market, Bangalore. They can also be bought from eBay.

I am not an avid gamer. I have a Wii console that I brought from US. I make sure that I put about 30 mins on it. There are plenty of games that could leave you sweating and panting. I wouldn't know if Xbox or PS3 would do that for you. I have a "Wii Fit balance board" and "Active Life outdoor challenge". I know that Wii console can be hacked so that you could download free games. I haven't modded my Wii yet (I don't know how).

I have seen some Wii titles at National Market, Bangalore. They can also be bought from eBay.

No they don't, simply because they aren't meant for that :) They are meant for guys like me, who love pulling a headshot in COD4 on an unknown virtual enemy with a headset on my ears and shouting - 'take that you @#$%' on the mic while sitting on my cushioned sofa with potato chips/pepsi at my side.

Doing this after a hard day's work - ah, no better way to release the stress :D

To play the games(downloaded fromt he net) you need to downgrade the os to 3.2. No need of any hardware modifications.

I have done that to my wii which i boght couple of weeks back. Everything went smoothly. I have downloaded around 12 games. Everything works including Wii Sports resort.

You need to do the following things to get it patched up.

1) Install Homebrew channel.
2) Use the wad manager to downgrade the os.
3) Install the backup channel.
4)Use the backup channel to launch the downloaded games.

You can play both NTSC as well as PAL games.

Good luck:)

More help on youtube.
Sudhish.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back