Garrard 401 - New Addition

anilva

Folks,

Just added a nice Garrard 401 turntable to my collection. I bought this on eBay UK and hand carried it back after dismantling the platter, bearing etc to prevent damage.

Built a multilayer plywood plinth at home and tried my hand at finishing the raw plywood to give it a decent look without using veneer.

Mounted a brand new Jelco 750E 10" tonearm. Plays absolutely wonderful and with lot of punch. I quite like it. Few more things to fine tune before I declare the project complete.

7bb709562db5bfafd02ad3e6abc48418.jpg
aafae25f711547dddc92af2ae7fc19d6.jpg
ed8f6059838b9da0b4247737135527da.jpg
3cc48e93cd2b75217751788a867f5a6d.jpg
cd6766d668326e2163a9e6a6e06cb044.jpg
3f9aa23d33cafcecba03614e32b53923.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guess this New Year Day can wish you more of the same...Linn's or what not! That Plinth must have been some effort.

Congrats Anilva. Any favourites in your collection?:)

Honestly, cannot make out. Each one excels in a particular area. I like all of them. Clearly what matters is the whole chain. Most of these pedigree TTs demand a very high quality chain starting from high quality phono cartridges to make them deliver.

Don't have a Linn LP12 :)

There is always Thorens Prestige !

Commonwealth has a classic idler and Yamaha GT2000 is a great direct drive as is the Kenwood L07d

Somehow the text disappeared from my earlier post !

There is always Thorens Prestige !

Commonwealth has a classic idler and Yamaha GT2000 is a great direct drive as is the Kenwood L07d

Somehow the text disappeared from my earlier post !

Want to buy a Neumann lathe[emoji3]

Congratulations on your new addition.You have done a great work in making a new plinth for the turntable.A painstaking work indeed.Do they still manufacture Garrard 401?

Regards

pksnathan

Looks in great shape, early model too. Congratulations and well scored.

In my personal opinion, once one listens to the Garrards, one will involuntarily find oneself spending more listening time with them. Such great sounding decks.

Do they still manufacture Garrard 401?
Regards
pksnathan
Garrard Company no longer exists. But Loricraft makes Garrard 501 and 601. The motor for new garrards is designed by Mr. Nigel Pearson. 501 is said to be having astonishing rumble figure of -79db.
Regards.

Garrard Company no longer exists. But Loricraft makes Garrard 501 and 601. The motor for new garrards is designed by Mr. Nigel Pearson. 501 is said to be having astonishing rumble figure of -79db.
Regards.

Thank you friend for your input.

Regards

pksnathan

Hi Anil,
the Plinth looks wonderful. Was planning to make a plinth for my Garrard 401. I already have it in slate plinth with a 12' inch Scheu classic tonearm. i am planning to add another 12 inch Thomas Schick tonearm to it. can you please help me with the schematics for the plinth?
Thanking you in anticipation for your reply.

Abhijit

Hi Anil,
the Plinth looks wonderful. Was planning to make a plinth for my Garrard 401. I already have it in slate plinth with a 12' inch Scheu classic tonearm. i am planning to add another 12 inch Thomas Schick tonearm to it. can you please help me with the schematics for the plinth?
Thanking you in anticipation for your reply.

Abhijit

You have a good setup, with one of my favourite TSD15 cartridge as a part of the chain.

The Garrard template is downloaded from the web. If you take that picture and get it printed without adjustment of size on a A1 paper, then you can mark the ply directly and cut. Check and let me know. Otherwise I will mail you.

Regards

I recently visited Anil and heard the Garrard 401. It was sounding nice. There was a lot of authority in the reproduction. The cartridge was brand new and I am sure it will sound better when the stylus breaks in.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back