Garrard 301 - New plinth

Looking very nice. My Lenco plinth buiilt by Sadik is similar with removable tonearm pads.
FSHoRB1.jpg

Regards
Sachin

Yes, there are two removable armboards, which can be used for different tonearms. I wanted to use 12" tonearms only.

Regards
Sachin
Good.
I have few 9" and 12" tonearms. This design gives me the convenience of trying different tonearms.
Regards

Hi @shafic

That is a awesome looking plinth there. Great job. I actually liked the look of the raw wood plinth layers. But that might be just me. As I always love the colour combination of birch or oak, with white and deep grey. Looks sophisticated always

'That is a awesome looking plinth there. Great job. I actually liked the look of the raw wood plinth layers. But that might be just me. As I always love the colour combination of birch or oak, with white and deep grey. Looks sophisticated always
[/QUOTE]

Hi,
Thanks.

I too like real wood /raw wood finish. My previous lenco l75 and Garrard 401 multilayer plinths have natural wood veneer finishes.
Unable to obtain real wood veneer due to covid lockdown. So I am thinking of automotive paint finish.
BTW the colour should be go with my music room theme, which is under development.

Last edited:
Very nice Shafic.
Someone known to me used wood finish Vinyl wrap from Amazon
to renovate a table top and he was very satisfied - dont know about life of the finish etc.

Very nice Shafic.
Someone known to me used wood finish Vinyl wrap from Amazon
to renovate a table top and he was very satisfied - dont know about life of the finish etc.
Thank you sir.
I have seen them on later models Cosmic and Philips speaker boxes. Few companies used this cost cutting options after the 80's products.

They are ok but lack the touch of class. Personally I don't like even the automotive paint finish. The disadvantage with automotive paint finish is that even if there is a slight dent or scratch you have to approach the painter and you have to remember the exact shade you used.

The real wood veneer with French polish or PU is something special and long lasting too. This is time consuming, needs great skill and is expensive.
Regards

Last edited:
@shafic
There is a product which has paper back on the veneer.
Forget the name. Google it
Cheers,
Raghu

Thank you Raghu.
There are many types of veneer.
Normally the one used in furniture is 3mm thick. It is very fine real wood veneer stuck on plywood.
Other type is called paper veneer. This one is very thin like paper.
And another type is real wood veneer with different thicknesses.
And also one type has cloth back.
With this getting the corner right is little difficult as the cloth shows in the corners. Needs proper finish.

I used this type (2mm real wood veneer) for my lenco plinth 4 years back. That was a joint project with Joshua. I got it specially from Gujrat.

After that I have used paper veneer also in a project. It is a little difficult to use them. They need skills.

I will check out your suggestion of that paper back veneer.

Another option is wallpaper. I bought few from amazan and Marshall for my next project. I am thinking of using them in my open baffles.
Regards

Last edited:
The plinth looks well made. However, a word of caution.

Such enclosed plinths restrict the air circulation around the motor. This is not much of an issue in case of a 401 which has a 12 watt motor, or a Lenco, which has a 16 watt motor that is open frame type, allowing air to move over the coils. But it is a different story in case of a 301. All 301 motors have the fully enclosed calmshell type casing. There are three further variations in the motor construction.

,1) Motor with fan blades on the rotor and four holes on the upper side of the casing. In the attached pic, two of these holes are visible through the holes in Eddy brake disc. This motor is found on the early grey grease bearing versions. This Motor has coils covered in black tape.

2) Motor exactly as above in all respects except for the four holes on TOP of the casing blocked off. Garrard is supposed to have done this to improve electromagnetic shielding. This motor is found on most of the cream grease bearing versions.

3)Motor with no fan blades on the rotor and coils with yellow tape. This is actually a 12 watt motor that is seen on some of the very late 301 made concurrently with the 401.

Type 1 and 3 motors do not have any issue in an enclosed type plinth. During extended sessions, they reach a temperature of 60/65°C and stabilise there. Type 2 has problems and the temperature crosses 70°C approching 80°C. This issue needs to be addressed by everyone who has a 301 with type two motor.

As a first step, you can use a digital thermometer with remote probe to monitor the motor temperature. (see pic, thank you fmTD150 for getting this for me)

HTH, YMMV

Attachments

• IMG-20200910-WA0004.jpg
    IMG-20200910-WA0004.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_20200911_043234960-1536x2048.jpg
    IMG_20200911_043234960-1536x2048.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 25
2) Motor exactly as above in all respects except for the four holes on TOP of the casing blocked off. Garrard is supposed to have done this to improve electromagnetic shielding. This motor is found on most of the cream grease bearing versions.

Apologies for a typo. Please read the highlighted word as oil and not as grease I must make it a point not to post before have had my morning cuppa.

Cheers to all.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back