Get Ready To Buy Another Format

thetas

As expected, the Blu-ray Disc Association (BDA) has finalized and announced the standards for the next generation BD players and, ahem, discs. Thats right just when you thought it was safe to buy a format that might be around for a few years, Lo! the great gods of media formats have gone and created another video disc for you to buy and it wont play on your current Blu-ray player as intended so there, nyah. Pffft.
Seriously, is the public ready for yet another high-definition standard that makes current disc players obsolete due to incompatibility? And just as Blu-ray player sales have finally begun to take off? That said lets clarify a bit. The new standard will enable the manufacture of specialized Blu-ray players and discs and somehow, though the details are vague, this standard will even allow the PlayStation 3 to play back these specialized discs as intended in 3D. In all likelihood this could mean a PS3 firmware update to cope with the new standard for playback (AVC-MPEG4-MVC. The MVC is for Multiview Video Coding/Codec.) or it could mean new PlayStations for everyone!

Since, it seems, we all love buying shiny new stuff during an economic lull (or recession, or depression in the parlance of our times), the video mavens of the Blu-ray Disc Association have smiled upon us and granted our desire for another new format. No, really though 3D has never really been my cup o tea (Avatar remains to be seen, but I was kinda blown away by what Coraline did with the technology), the general public seems to dig it, at least according to the BDA. Therefore, its up to you to pretend youre not re-buying The Polar Express for about the third or fourth time when that BD-3D hits the shelves for Christmas 2011.

Its anticipated that 3D enabled HDTV displays will hit the market first, followed fairly quickly by Blu-ray players featuring the new 3D format. Those players, by the way, will be backward compatible with BD-2D discs and, though you wont be able to get the 3D effect, youll be able to play the 3D discs on 2D-standardized Blu-ray players with as good as a 2D image as is currently available (perhaps even a bit better).

Ref......Get Ready To Buy Another Format | HD-Report

3D is the future. There will be a huge market for this new technology no doubt about it. This technology will bring the same change that color tvs brought in the black and white tv days.

It seems I will never buy any A/V Equipment from now onwards ........Will it ever end ??:mad: :mad: :mad:

I am not so sure about 3D. I hate wearing the glasses and I am sure many others do. I know there's specs-less 3D but what's being proposed is spec-ful i am guessing.

This will become a niche market product i don't feel its usage will be high among the masses

I am not so sure about 3D. I hate wearing the glasses and I am sure many others do. I know there's specs-less 3D but what's being proposed is spec-ful i am guessing.

Same thing was said around 25 years when "Chota Chetan " arived:eek:hyeah::eek:hyeah:.
Anyone remember no obselete company "Niki Tasha" introduced a 3-d TV at taht time.( I think with collbration with Abdi-Germany) Anyone bought or saw those TV's? Can anyone shed any light??

Unless "goggless" 3-D arrives and there will be a good amount of software available I feel mass acceptance is difficult.

yeah i remember seeing 'my dear kuttichathan' (the malayalam original of chota chetan) when they re-released it in Dolby Surround (DTS?) in the mid-90s. Again while I enjoyed the 3D i didn't much enjoy the movie. I loved 'Up' as a movie, but the 3D was almost inconsequential to that.

But I can't wait to see Tim Burton's alice in wonderland in 3D.

Same thing was said around 25 years when "Chota Chetan " arived:eek:hyeah::eek:hyeah:.
Anyone remember no obselete company "Niki Tasha" introduced a 3-d TV at taht time.( I think with collbration with Abdi-Germany) Anyone bought or saw those TV's? Can anyone shed any light??

Unless "goggless" 3-D arrives and there will be a good amount of software available I feel mass acceptance is difficult.

According to the Link here and what I've read on CNET we don't require newer players. Probably new 3D TV enabled TV & Discs which are 3-D by native. We've already got couple 3D movies on Blu-ray like Coraline which already play on existing players. Unless they are introducing google-less technology which requires the hardware to be changed.

Blu-ray Disc Association Announces Final 3D Specification | Business Wire

Back