Getting Yamaha RX-V681BL from us. Can you help me with an advise please....

chaitanyaht3

Hello All, im getting Yamaha RX-V681BL avr from Us. Can you suggest a step down transformer please? I have gone through some threads here, and people are usually buying Guru or MAXIM 1.5kva. Is that sufficient for this Avr? Kindly advise.....

Is it really required to go for isolation type???

Should I add a Ups for safety?? If needed, which Ups is good?? (I wont have warranty here)

Mains---Ups---Transformer---avr. Will this be a good setup ???

Thanks & regards
Chaitanya

Last edited:
You can not be wrong with Maxine stepdown transformer IMO
1kva itself sufficient for the model you mentioned here.
While checking yamaha owners manual for RX- 781/RX-681it says 590W for all models.
Considering 400w as buffer for future upgrade you can with 1kva.
I would suggest you to go with stabilizer instead of UPS. MODEL _V -GuardDigi 200

Sent from my CPH1609 using Tapatalk
cf9819a739412d0b7f4191e503e88a26.jpg

Last edited:
Wow.... thanks a lot kalyan !!!
I wrote it wrong up there, ups instead of stabilizer. I searched for power consumption details but couldn't find. Thanks for the image :clapping:

Everyone is talking about the frequency that is hard to change. Will it be a problem in video or audio quality ??

Wow.... thanks a lot kalyan !!!
I wrote it wrong up there, ups instead of stabilizer. I searched for power consumption details but couldn't find. Thanks for the image :clapping:

Everyone is talking about the frequency that is hard to change. Will it be a problem in video or audio quality ??
Frequency matters but not a lot i would say it is negligible.
If u r an audiophile definitely matters a lot.
Its pure electronics, i can brief a small part anybody can accept IMO.
Each n every Powersupply/Electronics is designed to work according to the powersupply voltage frequency rating.input Powersupply most of the part is converted to DC powersupply which will be filtered internally(here Frequency not applicable).But internal power loss will be slighly higher and heat dissipation aswell comparitely since it is designed fro different frequency rating.Excess heat will lead to reduce the life of the electronic components(if no proper ventilation/air circulation).
Ultimately your performance can also reduced a bit due to heat and performance of the each and every components.Performance wise normal ear cannot see/feel the difference only audiophile/Videophile can hear/see those difference.
Normal person can hear the stepdown transformer Hum sound nothing else. (negligible from seating area)
All the best.
Be happy what you are having dont think deeply.,[emoji106][emoji41]

Sent from my CPH1609 using Tapatalk

hey Kalyan,

Thank you very much for the explanation on frequency.

As you said, 1Kva may be sufficient for my Avr now.
With extra Rs500 i can get 1.5Kva.
I hope it wont hurt to get a 1.5kva (because the price difference is negligible)

Please suggest if I am wrong.... Tanks a lot for the guidance so far !!!
(both are auto wound. Not isolation type)

If you need an option, I have been using one 500watts by Powermex Delhi. Nice build quality, bought for Rs 1500.

Powermex Electronics | Home

Changeover of freq from 60 to 50hz is problem for tube amp power supplies only if the power trafo is 60cps only as with some vintage US tube amps. It will work but will have shorter life span coz of vibrations and current heatings. In solid state, the DC rectified power supply will not have much effect. Solid state amp power transformers are 50 hz compatible. The tube amps use AC power too so they suffer more if not 50hz compatible.

Rather interesting to note the other way around scene is actually healthy for 50hz compatible power transformers if run at 60hz !

hey Yogibear,

I didn't find anything mentioned as TRANSFORMER in the powermex website.
But, There are SMPS based voltage converters from 220v AC to 110v AC. Is it the same as transformer?? It looks like a plug socket, much light weight and compact compared to Maxim transformer.

Does it do the same job as the transformer?? If it does, its quite interesting !! Can I use it for Yamaha RX-V681 AVR? THey have 1000W, 1600W, 2000W, 2500W options.

Thank you, ... the name is given as universal socket instead of transformer. I guess thats the one you are Referring to. Il have a look at price and buying options.

hello all... in the AVR manual, the two additional channels are written as front PRESENCE speakers.
Can we use those channels to connect to ceiling mounted speakers (atmos setup) instead of speakers on the front wall ?

hello all... in the AVR manual, the two additional channels are written as front PRESENCE speakers.
Can we use those channels to connect to ceiling mounted speakers (atmos setup) instead of speakers on the front wall ?

Usually the surround back speaker output in a 7.1 AVR can be used either as surr back/height speakers.. But i don't see them on Yamaha AVR 681 images..

So you will need to use the presence speakers for ceiling mount speakers..

One confusion, each transformer says
  • Input - 220 Volt
  • Output - 110 Volt
Here we have 220-240V input and AVR need 120V. Will the AVR work fine?

Oooooh...you are right. The avr is 120V-60Hz

But the Maxine transformer i got is 100v or 110V. Im also not sure if it works. Did I make a mistake ??

Usually the surround back speaker output in a 7.1 AVR can be used either as surr back/height speakers.. But i don't see them on Yamaha AVR 681 images..

So you will need to use the presence speakers for ceiling mount speakers..
Thank you elangoas...i read somewhere that the avr settings have the options to choose front presence and cieling mounted. I have to check ... il get it in a few days....

But now im more worried about voltage. I got a maxine transformer that has plug points for 100v & 110v. But the avr needs 120v. Im not sure if it works... or if it is safe at all.....

IN two days....may be returning the 110v transformer, and getting a 120v transformer will help ???
Hi,
If it is mentioned as 120v /110v /100 v also you will not get the exact voltage since it is totally depends on the input voltage(stabilizer output or line voltage) that means your mains voltage.If you are DIY person you might know what i mean.
It is just a stepdown transformer not the voltage convertor or regulator which has electronics in it.
Stepdown transformer will be having just a coil and switch and output sockets with light indicator.For adjusting that voltage selection only most of the stepdown transformer is providing 2 output with 10v difference. i would suggest to check the output of the stepdown trafo with multimeter before connecting your avr,it might give the output which is needed for you.
All the best.

Your AVR work just fine providing you are giving 3 to 5v tolerance."IMO"
You cannot get the exact voltage with stepdown transformer IMO.its just a winding calculation based on number of turns and gauge thickness of the wire(conductor) wound on the transformer (stepdown transformer)-mainly it is considered as you are getting exactly 230+/-5v in your house.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back