GONE TOO SOON - Jazz Legends who died young

John Coltrane at age 40. His wife Alice Coltrane later adopted a Hindu name and had a lot of Indian instruments in her music. We know of Coltrane"s drug issues and being booted off by Miles from his band. Coltrane himself was influenced by the mystic east and its music. Would I be correct in assuming, had he lived, he would have made some more music with Indian artists or with themes borrowed from Indian music?
Yes, of course he would have. Alice's music still has a lot of indian influence

I stopped reading write-ups by music critics ages ago to keep my BP in check :D Some critics are nasty deprived souls and jazz critics are the most cynical of the lot. Like Oscar Wilde said " who wants a cynic who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing"
I remember reading this too somewhere ... “Those who criticize Coltrane's virtuosic profusion are of the same party as those who found Van Gogh's canvases "too full of paint"--a criticism Henry Miller once compared to the dismissal of a mystic as "too full of God."”

I remember reading this too somewhere ... “Those who criticize Coltrane's virtuosic profusion are of the same party as those who found Van Gogh's canvases "too full of paint"--a criticism Henry Miller once compared to the dismissal of a mystic as "too full of God."”
There are some forms I just don't get, like Coltrane in his most complex improv or Miles on Bitches Brew and the like - admins, don't boot me out for heresy please :p
But to me that just means my listening hasn't evolved yet.
Having said that, I still don't trust critics and only trust my ears

Hello sir
You mentioned poverty as of the reasons

So safe to assume those times they did not earn handsomely as musicians?
Comparing to what it's now. Even one single hit makes that person rich enough to lead a decent life.
I don't say they don't work hard but maybe due to social media it's little easy today for people with any kind of talent.

Sorry for not contributing to thread but my knowledge is very limited on this subject.
@rikhav ,
In fact, jazz was very popular in India in the 50's and 60s, with several bars and dance halls in Bombay and Calcutta featuring some good bands. Many of the artistes were from Goa. They hardly made money from jazz, so turned to play small parts in Bollywood music. Some of them turned into arrangers for famous music directors. In Bollywood, the music director and playback singer get all the credit, the arranger, the recording engineer, the background score composer, do not get any mention. Most of these great musicians have died paupers.

There are some forms I just don't get, like Coltrane in his most complex improv or Miles on Bitches Brew and the like - admins, don't boot me out for heresy please :p
Ha ha! Same here. Try listening to Miles 'On the Corner', Coltrane's 'Ascension' or Charlie Haden ' Liberation Music Orchestra'. I have tried hard but I must admit my listening hasn't yet evolved to this level

Ha ha! Same here. Try listening to Miles 'On the Corner', Coltrane's 'Ascension' or Charlie Haden ' Liberation Music Orchestra'. I have tried hard but I must admit my listening hasn't yet evolved to this level
Here's a true story. I was desperate to give Bitches Brew another chance and bought a new copy on vinyl. I got through the first side of the first LP when my wife decided to come sit with me and listen in. Half way through the first song she heard she goes " what is this noisy rubbish?!"
Now I can ignore music critics but definitely not my wife :oops:
The record was sold within a week

Or Carla Bley’s Escalator Over The Hill.

View attachment 45319

Said to possess Perfect pitch

They called him 'Golden voice'

He Smoked because he believed smoking gave his voice better timbre ;)

Died of lung cancer at 45

Listen to 'Embraceable You' a jazz standard. In the coming posts, I will post links to versions of this standard performed by 4 great trumpeters, each with his own unique style. See how they handle this same tune so differently :)
"Embraceable You" is a popular jazz song, with music by George Gershwin and lyrics by Ira Gershwin. The song was originally written in 1928 for an unpublished operetta named East Is West.
This brought back memories of childhood when dad used to listen to this and I just couldn't tolerate his ( my dad's) music!

Here's a true story. I was desperate to give Bitches Brew another chance and bought a new copy on vinyl. I got through the first side of the first LP when my wife decided to come sit with me and listen in. Half way through the first song she heard she goes " what is this noisy rubbish?!"
Now I can ignore music critics but definitely not my wife :oops:
The record was sold within a week
I can't say I know what Bitches Brew is about but I can relate to Bitches Brew and here's why I think.

No long solos on most of the album, sparse and short use of notes,
atmospheric, sets an ambience though it is ominous mostly, multiple layers and is very ustructured.
Guitar riffs make it easier and are familiar point of connect for me.
close to fusion and I felt so confused when I picked up a Mahavishnu Band orchestra when I was much younger
album coming after kind of blue and so brashly announced its arrival. The background gets you interested on him making such a sea change in style. He could have stuck with cool jazz and made couple more best selling albums in the same genre. It gets my blood pressure high coz I find the whole arrangement and use of instruments conveying a sense of urgency. But like they say he was a game changer.

A lot of Coltrane I lose the plot very quickly and find it difficult. By the way I liked On the Corner too.

I can't say I know what Bitches Brew is about but I can relate to Bitches Brew and here's why I think.

No long solos on most of the album, sparse and short use of notes,
atmospheric, sets an ambience though it is ominous mostly, multiple layers and is very ustructured.
Guitar riffs make it easier and are familiar point of connect for me.
close to fusion and I felt so confused when I picked up a Mahavishnu Band orchestra when I was much younger
album coming after kind of blue and so brashly announced its arrival. The background gets you interested on him making such a sea change in style. He could have stuck with cool jazz and made couple more best selling albums in the same genre. It gets my blood pressure high coz I find the whole arrangement and use of instruments conveying a sense of urgency. But like they say he was a game changer.

A lot of Coltrane I lose the plot very quickly and find it difficult. By the way I liked On the Corner too.

It is said that Miles was influenced by Jimi Hendrix, 'Sly and the Family Stone', and James Brown on these albums. Some of you may remember 'Higher' from Woodstock.

It is said that Miles was influenced by Jimi Hendrix, 'Sly and the Family Stone', and James Brown on these albums. Some of you may remember 'Higher' from Woodstock.
weren't they thinking of doing an album together Miles and Hendrix, till the sudden death of Hendrix. On a lighter note, attaching this photo, cant couch for varacity. great title I think, perhaps "Sheer Heart Attack" or "Sudden Clasp of thunder". Queen fan not Osho.

Attachments

• IMG-20200423-WA0004.jpg
    IMG-20200423-WA0004.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 9
weren't they thinking of doing an album together Miles and Hendrix, till the sudden death of Hendrix. On a lighter note, attaching this photo, cant couch for varacity. great title I think, perhaps "Sheer Heart Attack" or "Sudden Clasp of thunder". Queen fan not Osho.
Sushant, if you haven't watched it yet, I highly recommend the Miles Davis documentary available right now on Netflix - its called Birth of the Cool.

Sushant, if you haven't watched it yet, I highly recommend the Miles Davis documentary available right now on Netflix - its called Birth of the Cool.
Thanks. Watched it and have picked up a bunch of reading material. Cleared up for me that he did make a lot albums in the 10 years that sets the 2 albums apart. It was more for rock selling out arenas and making so much money and jazz on a decline then just to "change the game" that he shifted gears. I still like the album and it provided an impetus for bands like Weather Report and Mahavishnu and a even Herbie Hancock (maybe only for a short while) taking that direction. I started out with posting about the fusion/rock genre being more familiar to me in cluing me in to a jazz fusion album and went into extolling the virtues of rock on a thread titled "jazz". thanks for going easy on me. :)

Charlie Christian. Innovator. Influenced so many people. Died at 25.

I have this on LP and as a back up bought it on CD! Please see how he swings and so melodic. In fact it can come on the other chat as well.

Sushant can be up your street as well. Including stuff with Benny Goodman. Was part of swing and influenced bebop, cool jazz, even perhaps rock and roll.

Clifford Brown - Just 4 years of recordings, and he is considered to be the greatest trumpeter of all time. Brown died at 25 in a car accident. This is his story:

He started playing the trumpet at 13. One of the few jazz musicians with a college degree at that time, Cliffford Brown stayed clean - no heroin, no booze! In 1950, when he was just 19, Brown was involved in a serious car accident after a successful gig. During his year-long hospitalisation, Dizzy Gillespie visited the younger trumpeter and pushed him, convinced him to pursue his musical career, which many thought was finished. Brown's injuries limited him to the piano for months; he never fully recovered and would routinely dislocate his shoulder for the rest of his life. The accident delayed his recording debut until 1952.

Brown is said to have been influenced by the playing styles of Fats Navarro and Roy Elridge - note the high register solos and long improvisational lines. He, in-turn, influenced a whole generation of trumpet players, including Woody Shaw, Art Farmer, Freddie Hubbard, Donald Byrd, Lee Morgan, Wynton Marsalis and many others.

He formed a legendary band with Max Roach, Sonny Rollins, who played together on many landmark recordings. Brown is credited with 13 compositions, including 'Joy' and 'Dahoud' that have become jazz standards.

The fatal accident

This was exactly four years after the first accident:
"Just hours before his death, Brown had been playing at a Philadelphia record store and the jam was recorded; it featured some of the best music he ever played. The man they called Brownie, who was already being placed in the same league as Dizzy Gillespie and Miles Davis, died aged just 25, in a car accident en route from Philadelphia to Chicago. Also killed in the crash was budding pianist Richie Powell, brother of Bud, and Richie’s wife, who was driving. One of jazz’s great hopes turned into one of jazz’s great what-might-have-beens!"

Clifford Brown was posthumously awarded a Grammy for Lifetime Achievement. Several 'tribute' albums have been recorded in his honour, including those by Helen Merril, Duke Pearson and Arturo Sandoval. The composition ‘I remember Clifford’ by famed tenor player Benny Golson is a jazz standard.

A well-known documentary ‘Brownie Speaks’ has been made depicting his life. The Clifford Brown Jazz Festival is held each year in Delaware, his birthplace.

Coming up: I will post some interviews and videos of this legendary musician.

Enjoy!

I just love this Clifford Brown interview by Willis Conover! Just listen to this guy's humility, modesty and his respect of other trumpeters like Gillespie, Miles and Fats Navarro. Just shows that he was more than just a great jazz musician:

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back