GONE TOO SOON - Jazz Legends who died young

I'll listen to the ones that I have with new ears now. For example, I just realised that Wes Montgomery's Smokin at the half note features the full Miles Davis rhythm section - Chambers, Kelly and Cobb. Interesting to hear what Wes does in place of Miles!

Was taken back to the conversation about money and fame and all with Jazz artists of the time. Excerpts from Albert Ayler in an interview,

“I’m a new star, according to a magazine in England,” Ayler said, “and I don’t even have fare to England. Record royalties? I never see any. Oh, maybe I’ll get $50 this year. One of my albums, Ghosts, won an award in Europe. And the company didn’t even tell me about that. I had to find out another way.”

“That’s what they call the testing period,” Don volunteered. “First you get exploited while the music is being examined to see if it has any value. Then when they find there’s an ideology behind it, that there’s substance to it, they’ll accept it as a new form.”

I just love this Clifford Brown interview by Willis Conover! Just listen to this guy's humility, modesty and his respect of other trumpeters like Gillespie, Miles and Fats Navarro. Just shows that he was more than just a great jazz musician:

Thanks for the great interview @Fiftyfifty .A Study in Brown is on repeat in Spotify and I like his slightly thickish tonality of the horn . Did someone say that bop was more technique than melody? Well ........ This is as melodic as it can be.A great loss indeed.

Hi,

This one's long overdue:

He introduced himself saying “I'm John Francis Pastorius III. I'm the greatest bass player in the world”

Ever heard a bass guitar sound like that??? He has been called "the most important and ground-breaking electric bassist in history"

A few facts on Jaco:

• Innovative bassist who incorporated lyrical solos, artificial harmonic techniques and Afro-Cuban bass lines in his performance
  • Unique, hard hitting sound – a result of his playing style, fretless bass, equipment and special effects
  • Played a Fender Jazz Bass guitar with no frets and with a powerful stage presence. For him, the bass guitar was never part of the (rhythm section
  • Spread powder on the stage so he could dance like James Brown
  • Was the star of several Weather Report albums, including Black Market and Heavy Weather. Recorded the hit Birdland
  • Also recorded solo albums and left WR in 1982. Toured with a 21 piece band ‘Word of Mouth’
  • He was diagnosed with bipolar disorder in late 1982. He had shown signs of bipolar disorder before his diagnosis, but these signs were dismissed as eccentricities, character flaws, and by Pastorius himself as a normal part of his freewheeling personality.
  • As alcohol and drug problems dominated his life, he had trouble finding work, finding people who would tolerate his shenanigans, and he wound up homeless.
  • Killed in 1987 in a fight with a club bouncer
Pastorius developed a self-destructive habit of provoking bar fights and allowing himself to be beaten up. After sneaking onstage at a Carlos Santana concert on September 11, 1987 and being ejected from the premises, he made his way to the Midnight Bottle Club in Wilton Manors, Florida. After reportedly kicking in a glass door, having been refused entrance to the club, he was in a violent confrontation with Luc Havan, the club's bouncer who had a black belt in karate. Left comatose on the street for several hours, Pastorius was hospitalized for multiple facial fractures, injuries to his right eye and left arm. There were encouraging signs that he would come out of the coma and recover, but they soon faded. His family withdrew life support after 10 days

Almost twenty years after his death, Fender released the Jaco Pastorius Jazz Bass, a fretless instrument in its Artist Series.

Would like to hear more from Jaco and Weather Report fans.

Cheers!

Hi,

This one's long overdue:

He introduced himself saying “I'm John Francis Pastorius III. I'm the greatest bass player in the world”

Ever heard a bass guitar sound like that??? He has been called "the most important and ground-breaking electric bassist in history"

A few facts on Jaco:

• Innovative bassist who incorporated lyrical solos, artificial harmonic techniques and Afro-Cuban bass lines in his performance
  • Unique, hard hitting sound – a result of his playing style, fretless bass, equipment and special effects
  • Played a Fender Jazz Bass guitar with no frets and with a powerful stage presence. For him, the bass guitar was never part of the (rhythm section
  • Spread powder on the stage so he could dance like James Brown
  • Was the star of several Weather Report albums, including Black Market and Heavy Weather. Recorded the hit Birdland
  • Also recorded solo albums and left WR in 1982. Toured with a 21 piece band ‘Word of Mouth’
  • He was diagnosed with bipolar disorder in late 1982. He had shown signs of bipolar disorder before his diagnosis, but these signs were dismissed as eccentricities, character flaws, and by Pastorius himself as a normal part of his freewheeling personality.
  • As alcohol and drug problems dominated his life, he had trouble finding work, finding people who would tolerate his shenanigans, and he wound up homeless.
  • Killed in 1987 in a fight with a club bouncer
Pastorius developed a self-destructive habit of provoking bar fights and allowing himself to be beaten up. After sneaking onstage at a Carlos Santana concert on September 11, 1987 and being ejected from the premises, he made his way to the Midnight Bottle Club in Wilton Manors, Florida. After reportedly kicking in a glass door, having been refused entrance to the club, he was in a violent confrontation with Luc Havan, the club's bouncer who had a black belt in karate. Left comatose on the street for several hours, Pastorius was hospitalized for multiple facial fractures, injuries to his right eye and left arm. There were encouraging signs that he would come out of the coma and recover, but they soon faded. His family withdrew life support after 10 days

Almost twenty years after his death, Fender released the Jaco Pastorius Jazz Bass, a fretless instrument in its Artist Series.

Would like to hear more from Jaco and Weather Report fans.

Cheers!
I never knew bass guitar could be played this way till I heard Jaco. Inspired me to learn bass when everyone want to play lead!

While his work with Weather Report caught everyone's attention, I would like to highlight two tracks coincidentally both from 1976. First one from his self-titled album Donna Lee (which is probably the most difficult piece on bass and not originally a guitar piece) and the second is the title track from Bright Size Life with Pat Metheny on the later's debut album. Jaco would have been as accomplished a bassist if he had just played just these two tracks and nothing else!

Tina Brooks made 5 records as a leader with Blue note between 58 and 62 and many as a sideman. Only, the album True Blue was released in 1960 during the time he lived. The other 4 were relegated to the vault and released decades later after Blue Note was sold off. The last album coincidentally is titled "The Waiting Game".He was very underrated and did not get his dues during his lifetime.

He played with Freddie Hubbard on his debut album Open Sesame and did some heavy lifting there. Why he did not find too much favour with Wolf and Lion, I don't know. Died at age 42 of liver failure due to drug abuse.
I am listening to True Blue and yet to hear his other albums.

Paul Chambers (1935 – 1969) (33) Double bass

He was among the first jazz bassists to perform bowed solos.
View attachment 46789
  • Had a working knowledge of many instruments, including baritone horn, tuba, string bass & baritone saxophone
  • Anchor of trumpeter Miles Davis's "first great quintet" (1955–63) which recorded, among others, the famous ‘Kind of Blue’ album
  • His contribution on Kind of Blue is considered to be some of the most rhythmically and harmonically supportive bass playing in the history of jazz. Listen to the famous amazing bass line at the opening of 'So what'
  • Impeccable time and intonation, virtuosic improvisations
  • Transformed the bass from outlining simple triads to playing intricate melodies
  • Accompanied some of the best musicians of that time, including Miles Davis, Wynton Kelly, John Coltrane, Art Pepper, Wes Montgomery, Thelonious Monk and Oliver Nelson
As with many other jazz musicians at that time, he developed severe addictions to alcohol and heroin; so much that he is said to have passed out in the studio during a recording and Wynton Kelly had to fill in as upright bass player!

Died of tuberculosis. Just 33. RIP.

Major Holley on bass. (Bowed) Off topic from gone too early. His bass playing sound like a human voice

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back