Good DVD drive for HTPC

ravenus

I have a PC connected to my Panasonic 50" Plasma for use as HTPC. I am currently using sony's budget DVD-RW but that is giving me a fair number of problems with DVD playback (skipping, freezing). Please recommend me a more reliable make of DVD-drive for use in DVD-playback on my machine.

I have a PC connected to my Panasonic 50" Plasma for use as HTPC. I am currently using sony's budget DVD-RW but that is giving me a fair number of problems with DVD playback (skipping, freezing). Please recommend me a more reliable make of DVD-drive for use in DVD-playback on my machine.

The problem is not the DVD drive. It is likely to be your graphics chipset.

Whats is your mobo specs?

Regards

Generally playing even slightly scratched/used DVDs off the DVD drive resulting in skipping and hanging and all sorts of issues. The best thing is to rip the DVD to your hard disk and play it off the disk. Use DVD Shrink or DVD Decrypter to do the needful.

On DVD drives, I have been most impressed by the Moser Baer ones. They are far better for regular ripping than mass market ones like LG, Samsung etc.

You can go for Lite on which is now being sold as moserbear branded ones.though the speed is not much to say about but plays even scratched dvds smoothly .It is available around 1050 plus VAT.

+1 to Thevortex as I do the same.I rip in DVDfab & then watch without hitch.
Liteon makes Drives for hp too(mine 1260i)

I bought a HP dvd writer which was made by Philips. It's much silent comparing LG. Samsung, Sony.

The problem is not the DVD drive. It is likely to be your graphics chipset.

Whats is your mobo specs?
I seriously doubt the problem is of my graphics chipset. I have a GeForce 8500GT with 256MB VRAM (DDR2). I don't have issues playing anything else including 720p movies stored on my HDD. Earlier I had a 6600GT 128MB and had no problems playing DVD's with that. Mobo's an Intel 915GAV, had it for the past 5 years.

Ripping DVD's is not an elegant solution for me because I have a fairly big DVD collection and a lot of it is movies I might see every once in a while, so ripping each time is a chore (I don't have the space for keeping them on a long term basis). Accessing extra features like commentaries or docu's will again be a hassle. I just want to put the disc in the tray and play.

Well keeping 8gb free> ripping> deleting mov can solve the prob.
Your powersuppy can be weak to run GC,DVD-r at the same time.

I seriously doubt the problem is of my graphics chipset. I have a GeForce 8500GT with 256MB VRAM (DDR2). I don't have issues playing anything else including 720p movies stored on my HDD. Earlier I had a 6600GT 128MB and had no problems playing DVD's with that. Mobo's an Intel 915GAV, had it for the past 5 years.

Ripping DVD's is not an elegant solution for me because I have a fairly big DVD collection and a lot of it is movies I might see every once in a while, so ripping each time is a chore (I don't have the space for keeping them on a long term basis). Accessing extra features like commentaries or docu's will again be a hassle. I just want to put the disc in the tray and play.

Good to know. Get a new DVDP else get a new PSU :)

Cheers

The problem is not the display card, and it difficult to judge where exactly is th problem, however going for a good DVD Drive is anyway advisable if you are heavily using it for Movies. Ripping to HDD is not the solution either, what is the drive for anyway then. I have tried all brands of DVD/CD RW....., SONY, Samsung, LG, Lite On, Creative, Philips you name it.... but no drive has come close to the performance of ASUS Sata DVD RW. Been using it for year and a half now and it plays disks flawlessly. The read and write speed is commendable and built quality is very good as well.
After ASUS I would suggest Lite On, though the drive is fairly good in disk reading its built quality is just OK. Then comes sony/LG and lastly Samsung. Samsung drives has given me the max issues during their tenure, stay away from them.

Regards
Sammy

Agree@Samsung. I think their optical drives have some patented technology to screw up the tray eject mechanism. They're damn good at monitors, but.

@Asus, that's a good suggestion. I do recall that my first CD-writer was an ASUS and I didn't have a good experience - disturbing number of disk writing failures etc. But that was in the days of Windows 98 so things could well be different now.

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back