Good Power Tools for DIY.

cmsajith

Please help me in finding better place / shop for good (economical and reliable for DIY) quality power tools in Bangalore / Cochin.
Brands, pricing etc..

Last edited:
Tools n Trade run by a fellow audiophile, Mr. Murthy.

He has really good stuff you only see on foreign DIY TV channels.

Cheers

Sp road industrial tools market .. from power tools to powerful magnets , ferrite cores ..metal sprays,fasteners all you get... bosch and chinese!

dramels at star bazaar super market near forum mall ,koremangala ..I am telling for bangalore...

Please help me in finding better place / shop for good (economical and reliable for DIY) quality power tools in Bangalore / Cochin.
Brands, pricing etc..
If you are shopping for tools, Goodwill Hardware Stores is a must visit. It has all major brands like Stanley, Bosch etc. It is in one of those narrow lanes on S.P. Road. There are two Goodwill Stores on the same lane. Go to their showroom which is on the first floor.

Address:
1, Post Box No-6847, Subhan Saheb Lane
Sp Road, Bengaluru, Karnataka 560002
080 22221255

Here is a map if you are entering from K.R Market

to: 1, Post Box No-6847, Subhan Saheb Lane, Sp Road, Bengaluru, Karnataka 560002 (Goodwill Hardware Stores) - Google Maps

Other good stores are:
Ace Trading Corporation on N.R Road and Husain and Co on Commercial Street.

Even Metro, Spar, HomeTown have a good collection of tools.

I am planning to start with a rotary wood cutter / marble cutter and a drilling m/c (with concrete drilling). Where can i find the best pricing for the tools in bangalore and which are the best economical and reliable brands (not the high ends like BlacknDecker,Bosch etc)

i need a right angled/flexible angle (had held low powered drill whose chuck can be bent at right anlge) power drill
anyone know where i can get a cheap one in mumbai

Lohar chawl has only bosch and stanley that are just too expensive for me.
A cheinese one would do for me but i cant find any right angled power drills

I am planning to start with a rotary wood cutter / marble cutter and a drilling m/c (with concrete drilling). Where can i find the best pricing for the tools in bangalore and which are the best economical and reliable brands (not the high ends like BlacknDecker,Bosch etc)

These tools can last a very long time when handled with a little care. Since Bosch has been in the Indian market for a long time, there is no shortage of spares, servicing etc (ie: valid warranty). Besides their equipment is top notch and in my opinion good vfm.

Croma has a lot of Bosch products. Besides Home Town near Marathalli also has a decent collection. Stanley is not the same as they used to be, so take a good look at what you buy. DeWalt is also good, but I do not know if it is available in Bangalore.

Small side question: Anyone knows where one can get Wiha screwdrivers in Bangalore?

Thanks,
Saikat

Last edited:
For heavy duty tools and reliability, only two brands come to mind:
a) Bosch for its performance, build quality and reliability
b) Electrex (A Bangalore based brand) which is heavy duty and can be serviced at very low cost. These are used by most marble-layers, carpenters etc.

Small side question: Anyone knows where one can get Wiha screwdrivers in Bangalore?
Did you try Goodwill? See post#4 on this thread for more details.

For heavy duty tools and reliability, only two brands come to mind:
a) Bosch for its performance, build quality and reliability
b) Electrex (A Bangalore based brand) which is heavy duty and can be serviced at very low cost. These are used by most marble-layers, carpenters etc.

Did you try Goodwill? See post#4 on this thread for more details.

I was looking for Eletrex (recommended by my carpenters) and seems to be reasonably priced, in SP road i got quotation for 1600/- for Marble cutter including one wood blade (75/-) with 6 months warranty. Also Electrex seems to have a decent service backup in bangalore. This m/c can be used for cutting wood, metal etc with their specific blades, but need to be a little careful while cutting the metal. For the time being, i will be using the drilling m/c from my dad's collection (brand : WOLF). He is having a great collection (one full cupboard) of heavy duty tools from BlacknDecker/Wolf/Taparia/Hitachi etc.

Last edited:
I was looking for Eletrex (recommended by my carpenters) and seems to be reasonably priced, in SP road i got quotation for 1600/- for Marble cutter including one wood blade (75/-) with 6 months warranty. Also Electrex seems to have a decent service backup in bangalore. This m/c can be used for cutting wood, metal etc with their specific blades, but need to be a little careful while cutting the metal.

I have a marble cutter from Skil (brand owned and serviced by Bosch in India) and I paid Rs.1300. It has a feature not usually found in similarly priced cutters which is you can angle the blade if you want to bevel wood or metal. There were no freebies, blade size is 110 mm.

For the time being, i will be using the drilling m/c from my dad's collection (brand : WOLF). He is having a great collection (one full cupboard) of heavy duty tools from BlacknDecker/Wolf/Taparia/Hitachi etc.
All good brands. Please preserve them as they don't make them like that anymore. Black & Decker and Taparia are good but no longer what they used to be just 5 years ago.

This is one of my favourite topics and I have a small but ever-growing collection of tools. So, I'll share some more things for those who are looking. For hand tools in India, buy Stanley, Taparia or Eastman (in that order). If someone can carry tools for you from the U.S, nothing comes close to Kraftsman and then only Snap-on. Kraftsman is inexpensive and gives you lifetime warranty "no questions asked". Another place to look is your local automobile scrap yard/chor bazaar. I have a few snap-on ratchet sockets that I picked up from the Gujari here in Bangalore for a song.

Is Skil is a heavy duty cutter like Electrex? Then defenitely I will be going for that since its has an option for angle/joint cutting. Whats your experience on that cutter? How about the warranty and the service costs (is it expensive since its maintained by bosch?) Also from where did you buy that?

Is Skil is a heavy duty cutter like Electrex? Then defenitely I will be going for that since its has an option for angle/joint cutting. Whats your experience on that cutter? How about the warranty and the service costs (is it expensive since its maintained by bosch?) Also from where did you buy that?

The build quality of Skil is pretty good but I have not seen a 110mm cutter in Electrex (is larger) to be able to compare. I bought it from Metro for Rs.13xx when Bosch had a promotion going on. But I heard that Home Town and Spar were also having similar pricing. Warranty is one year, not sure about service costs.

According to my carpenter, Electrex is repairable almost in all areas atleast in Bangalore.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back