Good quality AV Homeplugs in India (preferably Pune) ?

nikhiltadsare

Hello Fellows,
Once again am in need of an expert advise and hence am turning to this forum to get help.

Situation: my internet connection is located in bedroom near my PC. I intend to extend the connection to living room to my TV & PS3. I was planning to run cat5 but it would be too long cable appx 30-45 ft. After some googling, I came across the idea of using powerline homeplugs to solve this issue.

However, do not know if anyone here has successfully used it in Indian conditions and what data trf speeds can be expected? If anyone is using please let me know your experiences and what cost to expect. Also pls guide me to a place where i can buy it (preferably in Pune)

(PS. I have already tried streaming over wi-fi with good strength but faced stuttering for moderate video file sizes.)

Thanx in advance !

Last edited:
Last edited:
Hello Trittya,

Thanx for your quick reply. I checked up with National Ele. unfortunately they don't have these adapters. I am exploring your links as well but no luck so far !

What I am looking for is:
D-Link PowerLine HD Network Starter Kit
or
Review - Belkin Powerline AV Network Adapters | bit-tech.net
And there host other co.s like WD etc who have these kind of products.

Still exploring net to find out from official sites, but looking to hear some personal experiences before taking a leap.

@baijuxavior: First of all sincere apologies for the very late reply. Thanx for th links.
Yes sir, even these look good but am not sure if anyone on this forum has had a first hand experience of using these devices in Indian conditions. I read on net that the speeds u get out of these are highly unpredictable and also depends on quality of wiring. Hence wanted to know the user experiences before buying such a product and later repenting for spending on it :p

@baijuxavior: First of all sincere apologies for the very late reply. Thanx for th links.
Yes sir, even these look good but am not sure if anyone on this forum has had a first hand experience of using these devices in Indian conditions. I read on net that the speeds u get out of these are highly unpredictable and also depends on quality of wiring. Hence wanted to know the user experiences before buying such a product and later repenting for spending on it :p

hi nikhil,
so finally what happened?
did u bought them or not?
if yes, than how was ur xperience?

i m in the process of making decision of buying a router for streaming 1080p movies from my computer to tv (on different floor) - so if this thing has worked for u than pls share ur results.

regards..

I am not sure what is the model of your TV but most TVs I know of have Ethernet 100mbps LAN and your PS3 has Gigabit Lan. So for you it will be easier to go for a wired cat6 based network setup. Regarding the type of your plugs, you should check what bandwidth they support.

Hi Kalpen,
Sorry for the late reply, been busy with work hence did not get much chance to log in. No I have not bought the product as the technology is too new and the claims made by manufacturers with regards to speed were not substantiated by actual users (at least I did not find out). The advice on the net is, performance of these devices are a lot dependent on the quality of wiring as well as the way the wiring is performed, the distance etc.

My tv has a very good USB player hence have opted to move the HDD whenever I need to watch the content instead of streaming. Although at times I do miss the connectivity via tv e.g. youtube etc. but its still not a big deal. The PS3 works fine with built in wifi which is pretty fast.

If you intend to stream 1080p content over wifi, I have serious doubts whether it will work. You will need a wired connection to do it. I would recommend cat5 cable option which is the safest and best option today.

I would suggest CAT6 cable:

What is the general difference between category 5e and category 6?

"The general difference between category 5e and category 6 is in the transmission performance, and extension of the available bandwidth from 100 MHz for category 5e to 200 MHz for category 6. This includes better insertion loss, near end crosstalk (NEXT), return loss, and equal level far end crosstalk (ELFEXT). These improvements provide a higher signal-to-noise ratio, allowing higher reliability for current applications and higher data rates for future applications."

This cable can run to 100m and will allow HD media to flow effortlessly.

The power line (called carrier current transceivers) solution is really only good for placing a printer away from the wired area, like a closet or on another floor.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back