Mesh Network Or Not?

Does ARGT has ethernet port and internal DHCP to assign IP's?
If yes then it is router without WiFi.

Sorry but not much info out there on internet about ARGT 1000, hence wasn't able check the configuration.

Regards
Bilal

Under LAN, it has the choice to enable DHCP; which is enabled. Guess then, my ethernet connected Netgear router should be in AP mode? Though without AP mode too it is working fine.

Under LAN, it has the choice to enable DHCP; which is enabled. Guess then, my ethernet connected Netgear router should be in AP mode? Though without AP mode too it is working fine.
You ARGT is a router. You need to have R8000 in AP mode to get better throughput. You are routing your data traffic twice which is not ideal and doesn't give any benefit, rather if you use your R8000 in AP mode you will get better throughput.

We call WiFi routers as they have router/modem features built in, there are routers without WiFi, your ARGT in this case is an example.

You have to connect other WiFi routers in AP mode to you ARGT to form a star network which will be ideal as per my knowledge.

I'm happy to stand corrected if others think otherwise.

Regards
Bilal

You ARGT is a router. You need to have R8000 in AP mode to get better throughput. You are routing your data traffic twice which is not ideal and doesn't give any benefit, rather if you use your R8000 in AP mode you will get better throughput.

We call WiFi routers as they have router/modem features built in, there are routers without WiFi, your ARGT in this case is an example.

You have to connect other WiFi routers in AP mode to you ARGT to form a star network which will be ideal as per my knowledge.

I'm happy to stand corrected if others think otherwise.

Regards
Bilal

As per what you say, I can have the R8000 in AP mode connected to the modem with ethernet. But star topology will not be possible because I would not be able to connect D7000 to the modem through ethernet as it'll be located elsewhere. That is where all my problems arise, and hence the call for help here.

Without ethernet, will D7000 be able to connect wirelessly to R8000 in AP mode?

As per what you say, I can have the R8000 in AP mode connected to the modem with ethernet. But star topology will not be possible because I would not be able to connect D7000 to the modem through ethernet as it'll be located elsewhere. That is where all my problems arise, and hence the call for help here.

Without ethernet, will D7000 be able to connect wirelessly to R8000 in AP mode?
You need connect D7000 using wire to either R8000 or modem, I don't see any other way to do it with having good performance. There are WiFi repeaters/range extenders I have no knowledge about its performance. If performance is not your priority then a WiFi repeaters might help.

If you see any High performance network always have a eithernet cable connected for all of its WiFi access points, and doesn't use WiFi repeaters, hence I doubt about their performance and robustness. You know we can't always get rid of all the wires if we want good performance :) all the best

Regards
Bilal

You need connect D7000 using wire to either R8000 or modem, I don't see any other way to do it with having good performance. There are WiFi repeaters/range extenders I have no knowledge about its performance. If performance is not your priority then a WiFi repeaters might help.

If you see any High performance network always have a eithernet cable connected for all of its WiFi access points, and doesn't use WiFi repeaters, hence I doubt about their performance and robustness. You know we can't always get rid of all the wires if we want good performance :) all the best

Regards
Bilal

So I just turned my R8000 in AP mode. I have a 100mbps connection which has been giving me 35mbps for the last one week (complained to MTNL yesterday) on speedtest.net; it has now jumped to 75 mbps. Already can see the benefit. Its a small bother that I'll have to assign static IP to all devices again.

But there is no way, that I can get ethernet to the second router. So my hunt will go on. Just got to know that Orbi after its 2.0 firmware has become a mesh. satellites can talk to each other.

Thank you for the videos, they were really helpful. I realised that maybe Google mesh may not work for me. Here, the reason is not coverage but the certain features that I need. First, I prefer to assign band to the various devices, which in this case is done by Google itself. Then, I need to set up static routes for Getflix, as I watch US Netflix and Amazon. Also, on WAN, I assign static internal IPs to the required devices. And something I am still struggling with is port forwarding due to the double NAT situation. I need to get that done too. This video, though, clearly pushes me read in depth about any product I choose, since there are so many variables in my case.

You cannot set band on any mesh network. Not even the Orbi. I've seen folks return the Orbi for that very reason... seems some folks want the 2.4GHz band and not the 5 GHz.

However, the very nature of a mesh network is to make it a seamless network and hence both 2.4 and 5 GHz have the same SSID. The AI chooses the band and the network for individual devices.

That said throughput has increased by a huge margin for me as I get 5 GHz transfer speeds for my various devices and also coverage has increased as I have multiple devices doing duty in the mesh network.

Given ethernet all across is not an option except for getting NAS and AV gear connected through ethernet, I'll have to adopt either a Wi-Fi extender or Mesh network. Since I have, another Netgear D7000 modem/router lying with me, I'll extend the network by getting it in AP mode and locating it centrally for two bedrooms. If I get, speed tests of even 60mbps on this AP connection and am connected smoothly to the network through my MacBook and phone; I'll live with it. If this does not work, I'll go for mesh.

Now, if given, money was not an obstacle, and the features I need, which one would you recommend eero or Ubiquity? I need speed as well as various features R8000 provides.

If you already have a router lying, you won't need another AP. Just disable DHCP from the router and it will start acting as an AP. (make sure the ethernet goes in LAN port and not WAN). If you have to pick an AP, I would pick Ubiquity any day. BUT if money is no bar AND MESH net is the only thing you want then eero, coz Ubiquity is not mesh (they have another product coming for that) per se, but then for an avg consumer mesh is not required, MESH has its own advantages and disadvantages, so you should have fair bit idea what you are getting in to if you choose mesh network. Personally, I will avoid

Last edited:
You cannot set band on any mesh network. Not even the Orbi. I've seen folks return the Orbi for that very reason... seems some folks want the 2.4GHz band and not the 5 GHz.

However, the very nature of a mesh network is to make it a seamless network and hence both 2.4 and 5 GHz have the same SSID. The AI chooses the band and the network for individual devices.

That said throughput has increased by a huge margin for me as I get 5 GHz transfer speeds for my various devices and also coverage has increased as I have multiple devices doing duty in the mesh network.

Since you have an Orbi, thought I'll share this: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Or...or-the-5-GHz-network-on-your-Orbi/m-p/1396594

However, this may not work for me as I am slowly moving towards keeping the existing R8000 in AP mode connected to modem through ethernet. Then, getting either an Orbi or Netgear EX8000 or Ubiqiuity (need to research) to connect wirelessly to the R8000.

If you already have a router lying, you won't need another AP. Just disable DHCP from the router and it will start acting as an AP. (make sure the ethernet goes in LAN port and not WAN). If you have to pick an AP, I would pick Ubiquity any day. BUT if money is no bar AND MESH net is the only thing you want then eero, coz Ubiquity is not mesh (they have another product coming for that) per se, but then for an avg consumer mesh is not required, MESH has its own advantages and disadvantages, so you should have fair bit idea what you are getting in to if you choose mesh network. Personally, I will avoid

I cannot connect the second router by ethernet as there is no provision for this at the central location. This new second router, D7000, as I realised yesterday, does not have the 'wireless repeater' feature. So a dead duck there.

Though money is no bar, I am not hell bent on mesh. Just anything that will give me optimum coverage through wireless. I am right now considering EX8000 too, as it is like an Orbi for an existing router for it has a dedicated 5ghz backhaul band. Though too many devices on 5ghz may create congestion as suggested. I am now going to research Ubiquity.

There is no miss information here. Some people don't bother to read the thread. I had already mention in an earlier post ubiquity coming up with their mesh product. So amplify must be it. I didn't open the link , since I am driving.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

I just ordered a 3 pack Google Wifi. How is the coverage for 1 wifi point ?
I live in a small flat (~1000sq.ft), existing setup provides decent coverage. But often signal drops in bedroom. Should I go with 1 or 2 wifi points ?

Current setup: ACT + Local ISP
TP-Link TL-R470T+ (2WAN: 90+25Mbps) -> TP-Link TL-WR1043ND 300Mbps

Please suggest.
Option 1:
Primary (90Mbps) : Google Wifi (1 or 2 points)
Secondary (25+90Mbps): TP-Link TL-R470T+ -> TP-Link TL-WR1043ND 300Mbps

Option 2:
(90+25Mbps): TP-Link TL-R470T+ -> Google Wifi (1 or 2 points)

Note:
TL-R470T+ is limited to 100Mbps
Minimum 10 active wifi devices at any point of time, max 25

Last edited:
^^ Not sure if you have ordered the setup, but this is how I would go.

TP-Link TL-R470T+ (2WAN: 90+25Mbps) -> Ubiquity wifi AC LR AP 1 (POE from TL R470T)

Ubiquity wifi AC LR AP 2 (wirelessly extending the network same SSID via wifi uplink) (POE via adapter )

This would easily cover your 1000 sqf house.

So I got the Orbi yesterday and without wasting much time, I planted the main unit in the Living room where my AV system is. Everything there is wired through ethernet. I tried the satellite in two locations. One more central and the other in my bedroom. Figured placing in my bedroom works equally well. My bedroom is now provided for and the other bedroom I think gets its signal from the main unit as it is facing the living room. The signal is uniform all over the house, except the laundry room next to the kitchen. I guess too many walls to cross. I get signal strength between 78% to 85% everywhere, which I guess is sufficient but now that both the units are close to my MacBook, wonder why its not 90% and beyond. The noise travels between 0 to 27%. But overall, this is the best solution I have so far in the two years. Everything is connected as I want them to be.

I considered UniFi seriously and also thought about ethernetting the whole house but seemed too much of a bother currently. Opted out.

I am immensely grateful to the members here for helping me out with this. Anyway you guys never disappoint.

So I got the Orbi yesterday

Super good choice. I've not regretted it one moment, runs everything without breaking into a sweat. From online gaming, 4K streaming, local LAN parties, and so much more.

Best part is the throughput is maintained even with 40+ devices connected to it 24/7.

A good buy that will keep you happy for a long time.

Well this thread has too much of information to fathom it clearly . I am not an expert in these things but I'll just share what setup I have. I have a ASUS RTAC68U with ACT fiber 75mbps which is placed centrally in my Living room to a height of 10ft above the ground . I have full bars of wifi on all the bedrooms even near the front gate of my house which is strictly 60 feet from the place where is located. The router was expensive but was worth the investment. Regarding powerline extenders the 2 extenders should be connected on the same phase .i.e supposedly you have 3(Red, Yellow, Blue) phase power supply if one extender is connected red phase in one room , it should be connected on the same phase in the second room where you need it , else there will be noise and little throughput. whenever we add an wireless AP to a network the speed will be halved. Hope I've added a little info on this

Super good choice. I've not regretted it one moment, runs everything without breaking into a sweat. From online gaming, 4K streaming, local LAN parties, and so much more.

Best part is the throughput is maintained even with 40+ devices connected to it 24/7.

A good buy that will keep you happy for a long time.

Everything is good but one clear observation on Orbi for me has been that speed test results on 2.4ghz and 5ghz are drastically different. My MacBook, which connects to 5ghz gives around 85mbps on a 100mbps connection, while, on the same laptop, Bootcamp (windows 10) manages to connect only to the 2.4ghz and the speed test result falls to 38mbps. This affects my downloading through CuteFTP as I am getting only around 10 - 12 mbps DL speeds. Any way to make the Bootcamp side catch 5ghz channel?

PS: Reason for using CuteFTP is because no MacBook FTP client gives 8 threads for each download. These threads of a single file improve DL speed quite a bit.

Everything is good but one clear observation on Orbi for me has been that speed test results on 2.4ghz and 5ghz are drastically different. My MacBook, which connects to 5ghz gives around 85mbps on a 100mbps connection, while, on the same laptop, Bootcamp (windows 10) manages to connect only to the 2.4ghz and the speed test result falls to 38mbps. This affects my downloading through CuteFTP as I am getting only around 10 - 12 mbps DL speeds. Any way to make the Bootcamp side catch 5ghz channel?

PS: Reason for using CuteFTP is because no MacBook FTP client gives 8 threads for each download. These threads of a single file improve DL speed quite a bit.
Please dont use boot camp instead Paralells desktop for mac, thats damn good plus it uses the same wifi frequency what your mac uses.
Above all if its only downloading that youre using windows . do try a paid app in mac store called folx Go it is the best I've ever seen for a mac. U can increase how much threads you want fr better speeds.
Hope it helps

Please dont use boot camp instead Paralells desktop for mac, thats damn good plus it uses the same wifi frequency what your mac uses.
Above all if its only downloading that youre using windows . do try a paid app in mac store called folx Go it is the best I've ever seen for a mac. U can increase how much threads you want fr better speeds.
Hope it helps

I am not sure Parallels is a good alternative for me because I use madVR on windows occasionally. Though I used Parallels many moons ago, I found it to slow down my mac despite prioritising it. I'll give folx a go. Thank you.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back