Mesh Network Or Not?

^^ Not sure if you have ordered the setup, but this is how I would go.

TP-Link TL-R470T+ (2WAN: 90+25Mbps) -> Ubiquity wifi AC LR AP 1 (POE from TL R470T)

Ubiquity wifi AC LR AP 2 (wirelessly extending the network same SSID via wifi uplink) (POE via adapter )

This would easily cover your 1000 sqf house.

I have ordered already. I thought about Ubiquity, but I have limited option with wiring. All network devices are hidden inside living room media cabinet. So, Google Wifi is a better alternative I suppose.

Received my Google Wifi. Out of the box, it works perfectly than my age old setup. Getting consistent speed promised by ISP in most of the places. Tried adding the 2nd Wifi point, now it covers my entire home. Its been 12hrs and my experience is very positive. Usually my LIFX and TP Link plug drops connection randomly. With Google Wifi, everything is solid so far. Android app is basic and it is sufficient for me.

Connection:
ACT --> Google Wifi (90Mbps)
1st Wifi point in Living Room Media Cabinet and 2nd Wifi point in Bed Room. I needed a LAN port in Bed Room and this setup helps.

Is there a way to set a particular wifi device to connect to fixed node in a mesh network?

In my home, I have 2 Google Wifi nodes and most of the device connects to the living room node. And very few devices are connected to the 2nd node in bed room. I fell at least 3 more devices which are close to the bed room node should have connected to it (instead of living room).
I understand, google wifi has some built in calculation to assign the node which has greater signal strength. But, can we force it to chose a different node? Is it a feature which I can expect in future ?

Out of 20 Wifi devices, only 3 or 4 is using my 2nd node. I feel, 2nd node is not effectively used in my home.
Any suggestion ? Should I reposition my node ?

Last edited:
Is there a way to set a particular wifi device to connect to fixed node in a mesh network?

In my home, I have 2 Google Wifi nodes and most of the device connects to the living room node. And very few devices are connected to the 2nd node in bed room. I fell at least 3 mode devices which are close to the bed room node should have connected to it (instead of living room).
I understand, google wifi has some built in calculation to assign the node which has greater signal strength. But, can we force it to chose a different node? Is it a feature which I can expect in future ?

Out of 20 Wifi devices, only 3 or 4 is using my 2nd node. I feel, 2nd node is not effectively used in my home.
Any suggestion ? Should I reposition my node ?

your only option is to reposition. The other point maybe you don't need probably three and can do with two.
I will try to reposition and see if it makes any difference. I have 2 wifi points now. I can get away with 1 wifi point, I added the 2nd one just to get 100% in the bedroom and also for a LAN port.

Here is my observation on my setup.

Every time I download something in my PC (connected via Wifi), I see some of the LIFX bulbs stop responding. Is it because of too much data transfer in the network and Google Wifi can't handle it? Packet lose? Screenshot_20180117-221440.pngI connected the PC via Ethernet cable, and things get better.

I have 8 LIFX bulbs connected via WiFi and FireTV Stick streaming videos. PC was downloading @ ~2 to 3MBps.

Any inputs? Maybe I will have to keep my PC connected via cable and get FireTv stick ethernet adapter to reduce the load in my Wifi.

My other worry is, if I add IP camera's / NAS in my network. Will it further affect the experience?

Last edited:
To add to the issue, I do have philips hue. Zigbee - Wifi interference? But my issue is very specific to when my PC is downloading something big.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back